Register now to get rid of these ads!

250 fuel line size question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ErikDaViking, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

I've got a 250 inline 6 with dual Carter Webers on an Offenhauser manifold in a truck my son and I are building. Running the fuel lines now. I am fabricating the lines form the pump to the carbs, and used 1/4" copper tubing. Looking at the old fuel line last night, it looks like its 5/16".....I don't really want to start all over, I only have one little piece left to make.

Anybody know if I should anticipate problems getting enough gas to the carbs through the smaller line? I suspect it will be fine, even with two carbs its still a small 6, you can move a lot of liquid even through a 1/4" line.

For what its worth, the engine hasn't been started yet since a rebuild, trying to minimize the potential problems getting her going....

Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

I'm thinking I'd want 5/16" line. But you can try it....

3. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

That's kind of what I was thinking. I guess I've got it mostly done, might as well run it and see. If it works, great. If not, I'll make new lines then.

I'm a lazy SOB, after all!
    ;)

4. 2X, but your post reads like you already made up your mind.

5. You want to run 5/16 line minimum with 2 carbs. If it was me I would actually build a log from 1/2 then the proper size line to match the carbs from the log.

You are not going to notice much problem firing it up. When you are cruisin and punch it you will notice that it is starving out @ wot. The larger fuel log gives you a reservoir right there at the carbs. You can feed more carb with less pump if you do it that way.

Sorry about the 1/6 number I originally tapped out. I guess I should have proof read what I put out.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  6. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

57 Heap, yeah I guess I have. Mostly I was looking to see if somebody already knew it wouldn't work for sure.

Maybe I'll go down and get 5/16" today and do it right the first time. Oh well, guess thats a lesson learned the hard way.

Thanks guys.

7. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Guess I'm not as hard headed as I thought, I redid it in 5/16" and am much happier about it. Thanks for the push in the right direction, guys.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Exactly what are Carter Webers? Is that like Ford Webers? Pinto motor staged 2bbls?

9. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Yep, thats exactly what they are. I think, and if I'm wrong maybe somebody can correct me, that they are Weber style carbs manufactured by Carter. Make sense? But they are basically Pinto carbs.

10. Joe H

Joe H

Mine ran just as well with 1/4" as it did with 5/16". The three carb set ran better with 1/4". It was able to fill the bowls faster since the pressures were high due to smaller line.

Joe

11. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Interesting. I was really curoius, you can move a lot of liquid through a 1/4 " opening, but I havn't started this engione since I rebuilt it and want to cut down the total number of potential problems....