Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Watkin's Glen

2. swi66

swi66

3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. swi66

swi66

7. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Who was your GrandPa? I'm from Bellingham but the picture is from Oregon or California.
    Mike

8. Similar one was recently knocked down on North Pulaski in Chicago. Operated until about 3 years ago.

9. "...our bus has shiny leather seats and windows made of glass..."

Sorry, we had to learn that little jingle for our school bus driver when I was in kindergarten, in the mid-50s. Bus was a Red, White and Blue '47 or '48 Ford, I've not yet found any photos of one like ours were. But here's a few others from earlier years:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Winter scene, looks like mid-40s?

[​IMG]

11. 3 different pics of Goodyear blimps, from '30-'40:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There was one close to my house and was called Robo,it only had one along with the normal car wash with the big brushes and the track that pulled the car through it. The place also sold gas and was originally a Gulf station but dont know if it was connected to Gulf oil,the Robo part was taken out years ago and a detail bay was installled in its place and was most likely a chain,

13. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

14. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

1930's I presume, but maybe they can find it and put it back up....

[​IMG]

kbgreen likes this.
  15. alsancle

alsancle

Anybody else recognize the Mercedes 500k Cabriolet in the background?

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

In his 19 MLB seasons, Gold-Glove Hall-of-Famer Gary Carter made the end of the real Golden
    Age of baseball memorable for me. :cool: Since May, he's been battling an aggressive brain cancer
    call glioblastoma (somewhat similar to astrocytoma). If any other HAMBers out there are, or
    were, MLB fans, you can send Gary a get-well e-greeting. If this link doesn't work, just search
    Gary Carter on Wikipedia and look for the fresh link at item 20 under "REFERENCES."
    ^ "The WELL WISHES FOR GARY Official Greeting Card". "The Kid" says he appreciates every-
    one's prayers.. Thanks, all! :)

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, Lebowski! From one KY-born boy to another, I HEAR YA! :D But we know that it's the AIMALS that own us, not he other way around, right? :rolleyes:

Though I like cats, I love dogs. I mean, try locking your dog and your wife in the trunk of the car for an hour. Then go open it. WHICH one is always glad to see you, I ask??? :cool::p:D

[​IMG]

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

WAY COOL pic, Empire! Coupes eat free Thurdays! :p At first glance you get a foreboding
    feeling, like maybe the fave here is the Reaper Burger! :eek: Pix like this make us HAMBers want
    to know more. BaysWater (Scott) posted this on FlickR, noting that the Terminal Drive-In
    Restaurant was outside Lockheed Air Terminal, Burbank, and this pic was taken about 1940
    (I'm thinking somewhat later, how 'bout YOU?:confused:). Anyway, another FlickR member lives near
    there and says the Terminal Drive-In was gone by the mid-'50s.:(

19. Cargo

Cargo

The photo is from Northern Arizona. The picture reads "Pat McCoys Logging Camp", but Pat was my Uncle. Zennie McCoy was my "Papa".

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]
    The Olymia Diner, Berline Turnpike in Connecticut, is an apparent rero SURVIVOR! :D
    This pic, posted on FlickR by member KocoJim, is from 1983 and is part of a photo-
    stream entitled "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives." Nearly 30 years has passed; ANYBODY
    know the current status of the Olympia and, maybe, a more precise location? :confused:

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Oops, 'course I meant RETRO survivor in that last one! :eek:

[​IMG]
    Lost:(: A McDonald's now stands where the Midway Diner used to be, at Forest & Broadway
    on Staten Island. This postcard image was shot in 1982, according to FlickR member KocoJim.

22. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

The Frisco Freeze is a Tacoma landmark. Best burgers (nice greasy ones) in town. They tried to franchise in the 80's or 90's, but some legal issues came up. They're back to one location again. It was THE hangout when I was in high school in the 60's

23. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

Hey thats my shop radio at the catalogue store LOL and yes it works just dandy, long as I hook up bigger speakers

24. empire

empire

Hi Jimi,

Thanks, that's more information than I had but I'm thinking the Airport was still called Union Air Terminal when this was taken. Lockheed bought the Airport in the late '40s I believe but I don't have an exact date on that.
    Maybe some one out there has that info....
    I'm involved with a local aviation museum and have available many old photos and will take a good look at them to see if I can find the location.

25. Jon1953B4

Jon1953B4
    from MD

Stewart's Root Beer Stand in Rosedale, Md

26. 71nova

71nova

A friend of mine bought a new Valient. It was 1964 or 1965. It was a special order. It came from the factory with a 273 V8 and 4 speed. It also had factory thru the fender headers that connected into one 3" exhaust. Had the sweetest exhaust sound. I`ve never seen another one to this day.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

QUOTE=Jon1953B4;7364978]Stewart's Root Beer Stand in Rosedale, Md[/QUOTE]

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
    [​IMG]

Hi, Jon. Any idea when Stewart's opened? Is it still open? Since this is the thread for VINTAGE shots, I have to ask if it's an older snapshot, or a new pic. If it's '64 or earlier, you're really okay. Technically, the HAMB rules say '64 and earlier. But there seems to be tacit approval here for "Then-and-Now" photos, too, BTW. So, if yours is a much newer pic and you have a vintage shot as well, that would be great here.

If it's just a new pic of a long-established location, then it would probably be more fitting over on SunRoofCord's thread, Lost Drive-In Restaurants(History). I'm certain it would be WELCOME there, anyway. Not crackin' on you, bro. Just trying to keep Dog's thread to actual vintage stuff and be mindful of HAMB rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.