Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need a Riverside International Raceway History Lesson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HenryJGuy, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

2. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

'68 HOT ROD Magazine Drags at California's Riverside International Raceway

[​IMG]

3. Hey, Rocky! You can't do an overlay like that, it'll just confuse everybody (like me, fer instance-not that it takes much). Like, fer intstance, where is I-60 or the 215?
    Seriously, though, that's a nice overlay, Rock. After the MoVal Mall was built, I found it hard to picture exactly where RIR was...Even though I had raced it only a few years before...sigh...sometimes I hate nostalgia... Hey, AXLE, can you chime in, homeboy?
    Thank You!

4. Beee-u-tiful pic but I can sure feel the heat! LOL

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

This one shows a little better...

[​IMG]

7. WCD

WCD

Its Dean chasing down the Lil Toad G/Gas Anglia. Didnt know you clinched the street eliminator title. My former neighbor from long ago won super elim in '67 with their Pyscho Mustang.

8. Thanks, Rocky...I remember after I raced there and then saw the mall go up that it just freakin' killed me every time I went past. And, if I'm not wrong, did the pic of the tower going down show up in the Press-Enterprise? I'm bettin' it did, huh?

9. firingorder1

firingorder1

My Dad took me to the opening race in a 49 Merc. My wife and I were at the last race. Every time I drive by that stinkin' shopping mall something stabs me in the heart.

10. river1

river1

i got to do a lap around the track when i was young. grampa was out visiting and because he was a race fan dad drove us over and did a lap. i don't remember too much of it tho as i was only 1 at the time.

later jim

11. There's a 16' Diest ring slot in that laundry bag Steve. When Jim saw the color of the roadster he said "this car's got to have a chute in red, white and blue like I did for Tommy". Maz had one on the Vette too. I raced Bones in the Vette for street eliminator one Sunday afternoon at Pomona. (Bones won, heads up flag start) Bones knew we both had the red, white and blue chutes. He came over just before we went to the line, and said let's give 'em a show and toss the laundry together". It must have looked pretty good. When we pushed back in front of the stands the crowd gave us both a standing "O"! You're right, I did have some "fun". ;)

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  12. 16 feet of Diest ring slot in all it's glory.

[​IMG]

Gary Reynolds and WillyKJr like this.
  13. DK23

DK23

I used to go to the CanAm races with my dad and watch Jim Hall, Bruce McClaren and Denny Hulme battle it out. Prior to that we watched the sports car races with Birdcage Maseratis, Testa Rosas, and lots of other interesting cars. Hated to see the track go, it had a wonderful history.

14. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Thanks to everyone that has contributed...I'm learning a lot! I just figured since Riverside was such a cool place, we needed to elaborate on its history a bit. LOVE those pictures of your pickup Dean!

15. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Dam Mazooma, I finally just got done wiping the tears from my eyes from Ward telling the Beav to "Shut the Fuck Up" and then you post these last two pictures. A good belly laugh is the definately the best medicine!

16. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

I raced sand drags in the eary 80's on my honda 3 wheeler.

17. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I was born and raised in Sunnymead! This sight was a staple in my mind through my youth. Although my memory doesn't recall seeing an actual race. Me and a few friends use to sneek into the property and get chased by security or "The Pinto Patrol" as we would call it. He drove a Pinto. I wasn't into cars as much as I am now, But I didn't like it in the least when they decided to build a Mall there. I still Hate it!

18. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Great stuff! Thanks Rocky for the overlay. Sure does bring back some memories!

19. toml24

toml24

Super modified racing in turn-3 of the oval on March 6, 1966.

Attached Files:

20. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Those Super Modifieds are awesome! I love the crazy tire combinations they ran.

21. cmbrucew

cmbrucew
    from Socal

I seem to remember seeing Indy cars run there in 1987 or 1988.
    I will look for pictures.
    Bruce

works good
    Lasts long time

22. Molina

Molina

Just found this post. a lot of memories at the raceway . a year after i moved away they shut the place down - 1988 - r.i.p.

an interesting thread , but sad at the same time.

23. Racer83

Racer83
    from SoCal

There was most definitely drag racing at Riverside in the 1980's. It started in apparently '82 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5EcN7fzEw), although I never went there until '84, after OCIR closed. The last drag race took place in June '88, shortly before the last Cup race, followed by the track permanently closing. From 1984 until the track's demise, there were bracket races, NHRA sanctioned, held once a month, or very close to that. I know because I attended almost every single one of them, first with our Bracket 1 car, and then helping out a buddy and as a spectator after we sold our car. There were always a ton of cars, any and every Southern California bracket or Super-class racer during that era was there. It is hard to find evidence of this though if you weren't there, I completely agree. If you search the net, I can't find a single picture or real reference to this particular era, which is a shame, I had a blast there. Luckily I happen to have a couple pictures, probably taken in '86 and/or '87...

Attached Files:

24. rfraze

rfraze

Hot Thunder '41 Willys was a Dennis Bress chassis under a George Crabtree Fiberglass Trends body driven by Rick Webb. Currently owned by Bob Edmiston in Boise, Idaho. Sponsored by O'Reilly's in Nampa.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I saw the last NASCAR race there, some time in the early 1980s I think. Man, those things were slow. The modifieds were quicker, as I recall, and cooler looking. I was stationed at Miramar at the time and just HAD to make the "pilgrimage" given all I had heard and seen of the place as a kid from Illinois. Likewise, I got to see one of the last 500cc US GP motorcross events at Carlsbad. Just like on Wide World of Sports! LOL Gary

26. I grew up not too far from the track when I was a kid but I was never fortunate enough to have gone to see the races there. My dad wasn't a racing fan:(.
    Now that I live out in that area again, I always remember seeing the track(where it used to be) when I drive by that location. I sure missed out!

Thanks to everyone who's posted pictures and videos from Riverside Int :D!!!

27. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Thay used to open the infield for over night camping. Crazy times for a kid from Yucaipa

28. That's neat about the overnight camping.

29. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

The Rex Mays 300. Great USAC race with all the biggest names. I think it was 1966 or 1967 I went with my cousins and saw Dan Gurney win. Sorry I never got to see the LA Times Grand Prix. Damn shame that Riverside and Ontario Motor Speedway lost out to shopping malls and tract homes.

Off topic but, Lions was the only SoCal track I know of that didn't shut down from development. It was LAHD land that was supposed to be the never completed Terminal Island Freeway, and had no use, so Lions was allowed to use land. Later LAHD commissioners sold out to $$$$ and gave it up to container storage from the port.

30. barstowpo

barstowpo

We used to go out Thursday night and line up on the road before the NASCAR and CART races. They would open the gates Friday morning and it was a mad dash to get to your favorite spot. It was wild seeing the motor home races into the infield. We always camped inside turn 5 or so. Son was conceived there at the June 82 race.