Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Wont Turn Over after New Clutch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Hey all,
    I installed the transmission in my Packard today after putting in a new clutch disk, but after getting everything all bolted up the engine won't turn over by hand, even with the clutch disengaged. Everything was lined up well, and the tranny went on fairly smoothly (as smooth as it could've when doing it in the car)... Before the trans went on I could turn it over easily with the flywheel.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

2. sounds like the pressure plate or flywheel bolts are too long (At least one) and hitting the webs on the back of the block

3. Are the correct bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel or are they too long and hitting the back of the block..Could happen

4. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Put the disc in backwards?

5. Great minds think alike;)

6. F&J

F&J

Also, some cars have just one starter bolthole that is in line with the flywheel, and if someone put a longer bolt in the other hole, you maybe put it in the opposite hole that would hit the flywheel

Just fixed a Model A that a guy swapped motors, and then locked up....and it was just that one bolt.

7. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

None of the bolts are too long.... The bellhousing bolts to the block first before the flywheel goes on, so no issue there. The engine turned over smoothly with the pressure plate and clutch installed. It only froze up after the tranny was bolted on....

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I dont know the Packard trans at all. But this reminds me of a guy that thought he had a locked engine and removed the engine and then it turned? He still had not installed is linkage for the shifter. He had rev and a forward gear engaged at the same time.

9. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I'm sure it's in neutral. I can spin the rear wheels ( the car is on the lift). But even still, the engine should turn with the clutch disengaged i.e. clutch pedal to the floor with visual thru the inspection plate that the clutch is disengaged....

10. I know that I sound fixated on bolts but how about the bolts holding the transmission to the bell housing. They could be hitting the pressure plate especially if it is new and has a different configuration. If the problem happened after the trans was installed it's narrowed down to that area.

11. Homemade44

Homemade44

As someone said before you put the disc in backwards. The spring assembly goes in facing the pressure plate. If you put it in the other was it will hit the bolts in the end of the crank and the disc will still be in contact with the pressure plate when the clutch is depressed.

12. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

It could be.... I wouldn't think so though, I only put in a new friction disc. It's still the original pressure plate. That will be the first thing I check in the morning though.

13. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I'm 99% sure its not in backwards. The new disk has "FLYWHEEL" written on it.... But i will check that also.

14. The way to check it is to just run the PP bolts out almost all the way and it will probably free up the disc.

I see your in MacVille ... raining like hell here in Mendo

15. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I'll do that tomorrow too. Then i can see which way the letters face.... Although I think the tranny will have to come out again anyway.....

Yeah, It's raining like bell here, too. I'm about ready to start building an arc.

16. Take it apart.

17. Did you try to turn backward to see if anything is holding it from turning in one direction.

18. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Yeah, won't budge either way... Unkl Ian, I concur. Tomorrow I'm just gonna take the trans back out and I'm sure the problem will be something silly that i overlooked before...

19. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Man, I'll have had this clutch apart so many times when I'm done, Packard should send me a patch or a t-shirt or something!!

20. George/Maine

George/Maine

Did you hook up the shifting levers,could it be in 2 gears locking the trans.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did you read #9 reply ;)

22. George/Maine

George/Maine

No Like minds think a like. I don,t read some other posts fuck my mind up.

23. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Just odd thought maybe the disk hub is longer and is binding on the trans T/B collar. Loosen the trans mounting bolts a couple of turns and pull the trans back and see what happens.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not say'n I'm the first to say what you said. Threads read like a conversations. To many times guys just read the post question but do not follow along. Ok, back to the thread at hand. Enough of this Hi jack.

25. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

The hub being to big is an Interesting possibility... It's not a stock disk I'm using. It's for a Saginaw.... I've heard of others using it with no problems.

I think maybe it is in backwards... When the clutch pedal is depressed I can see that the disk is staying against the flywheel and not sliding back with the PP...

26. Homemade44

Homemade44

Here is another possibility that could causing you a clutch problem. You said you have had the clutch apart many times and that you only changed the disc this time.

Do you have a three finger pressure plate, Borg and Beck style, or do you have a diaphragm, multi-finger pressure plate. If you have the diaphragm style pressure plate take a hammer and hit the fingers going in a circler pattern around at the tips of the fingers. What you are looking for is a difference in the rebound of the hammer. I have seen the flex plate fatigue and crack and when the clutch pedal is depressed the clutch only come partially disengaged. If it is broken all the way it is pretty obvious but not so if it is only cracked. In the beginning of the failure the clutch still works to some degree but you will get excessive wear on the clutch disc.

This next statement is from and old memory, I think that the different styles of pressure plate also used a different throw out bearing, one was short and one was longer. Don't remember which one went with what.

Hope you let us know what you find.

27. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I have the three finger style... I will definitely post back with my findings tomorrow. Thanks everybody for the help!!!!

28. John356

John356

Did the trans go in easy,or did you have to pull it in with the bolts? A damaged pilot bushing/bearing can force the crank forward,locking it on the thrust bearing.Loosen the trans and see if that frees things up

29. Some body asked "Is it in two gears at once?"