Register now to get rid of these ads!

most important tool in your shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pdunn10, Jan 18, 2012.

1. My most versatile tool is my drill press that at times doubles as a lathe /drum sander /milling machine buffing wheel ............

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The one that I use the most is the bead basting cabinet. If it will fit it gets blasted. Everything from backing plates and tie rod ends to gauges and carbs.

3. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Plasma cutter,right angle die grinder,Tig,Mig,arc and torches.Oh,and overhead trolly i beam that does my lifting.

4. aaggie

aaggie

Over the years I have built a home shop capable of just about any project. First choice would be a large air compressor, at least 5HP. Next would be a MIG welder and third would be a good drill press.

Never buy a bench mount drill press, get a floor model and bolt it down.

5. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

stripper pole for the girls

6. The most important tools in my shop are my mind and my hands. As for me without them nothing would get done.... next in line is PB blaster, can't fix what i can't take apart

7. thanks a bunch, I found a torch I think that will be my first puchase as I feel it is one of the most versatile tools, heating to remove stuck things, cutting, welding. then I guess I will just wait to find a good deal on a 220 welder so I can do some frame work.

I have done some gas welding so I under stand the basics of tig, never done it but Im willing to put in tons of hours to learn, I have put down some decent mig welds. I guess the question is if you were gonna buy one welder mig of tig?

8. 35desoto

35desoto

I concur with John Mullen
    The most important tool in my workshop is me. Without my presence nothing gets done, nothing can get done and I am limited only by my own mind.
    Shame that I spend soo much time on the day job that my projects seem to stall through not a want of enthusiasm but time to go and be in that holy spot - my workshop

9. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

mig welder in my #1
    My most used is my pocket cresent/adjustable wrench. I am lost without it.:cool:

10. 91bluecamaro

91bluecamaro

Adjustable hammer....

Attached Files:

11. 91 blue, Isn't that the one tool most mechanics say never to use?:D:rolleyes:

12. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

60 gal. air comp.
    tig/stick welder
    horizontal/verticle band saw
    4 inch grinder
    die grinders
    drill press
    lathe
    hydraulic press
    multimeter
    wiring tools
    blast cabinet
    parts washer
    3/8 and 1/2 inch drills

13. Me:cool: and what Harry T listed ... gota love those tools oh yeah fridge with cold ...well whatever

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  14. cshades

cshades
    from wi

depends on what you want to do. In my home shop plasma cutter,mig welder,metal brake,blast cab and compressor.At my business shop above ground hoists both 2 and 4 post,mig and torch and compressor.

15. Yeah , all of them too:D

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My Miller 140 Mig first, then my Milwaukie portaband. I use those two more than anything else!

17. bct

bct

don't forget your eyes....other than that.... mig, grinder and compressor. like another said be prepared for a deal with cash in hand and buy whatever is a great deal ....tools beget tools whether someone else sees your need or you make them yourself.

18. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Whatever tools you decide on make sure they're high quality, none of that Chinese harbor freight shit. There's nothing worse than being in the middle of a job and have a tool fail.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loaded question here, one of those "do I look fat in this?" gigs.

But that outta the way, what do you do the most? I started as a painter. Air tools, spray guns, best commercial compressor I could buy. Bought an old Wayne horizontal. It was still running 16yrs later, only replaced a pair of reed assys and belts, and I sold it for more than I paid when I went bigger. I fab too so all of those usual suspects come into play. Like has been said above, BUY THE BEST QUALITY TOOLS. All new? Hell no. Be smart and keep your eyes open. Seriously, check out estate and garage sales, local flea markets, even the car swap meets. I scored a Dynabrade 90deg die grinder like new for $35 at a garage sale. It's a $250+ tool. Get to know the best in stuff and keep your eye on CL and the 'bay too.

20. morac41

morac41

Hi ... Coffee machine..safty glass's....4 1/2" grinder......

21. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

Most everything has been covered here. I find myself involved nin work that requires more than one person, and without the use of my engine hoist and some creativity I'm more than cretain I'd never have goten some things done. Not expesive but real handy, and if you try to do the work by lifting things without a hoist of some kind, you're working carreer will be a miserable and short one full of pain. AND SAFETY GEAR! aww it'll just take a sec,.................to mutilate an eye or body part. Cheap and next to sharpies medical suplies and safety equipment are the most important things in my shop.

22. JohnnyC79

JohnnyC79
    from Australia

I'm an auto electrician, so my favorite, most important, can't do without tool is my Powerprobe. What a killer piece of kit that thing is. I honestly don't know how I went 10 years in the trade without one.

23. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

Wow, I can't believe the lists of tools that some guys have! Are these pro shops??? Hell, I've done two ground-up builds with almost nothing more than simple hand tools. A cheapo Harbor Freight angle grinder has cut every piece of metal on both the builds below and it's still going strong after 14 years! I've formed patch panels with nothing but a hammer and dolly. Fundamentally, a car build is really as simple as cutting metal apart, then sticking it back together again in a different configuration. I suppose I work harder than some guys with elaborate shops, but I save money by not needing to join a health club!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  24. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

band-aids, fire extinguisher,and a money printing press.

25. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

1...Air compressor (with a assortment of air tools)...If it wont come out with a ratchet, use a impact to hammer it out!

2...Torches... If it wont come out with a impact, heat it up and try again!
    If it still wont come out, cut it!

3... Welder to weld back what I previously screwed up!

4... A old ratty rocker recliner and a bottle of wild turkey and or a 12pk of PBR etc, in case all of the above dont work!

5... Buddys to come over and share in said, wild turkey, PBR etc and let me know how I screwed up and how I should have went about it!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  26. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

27. 91bluecamaro

91bluecamaro

Just kidding, I dont even think I own one, got a couple pipe wrenches though. I just like the chuckles I get when I call it an adjustable hammer...

28. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

One tool I use alot is a can of PB blaster, if you guys haven't tried it you should. When taking apart an old Midwest rust bucket, I'll spray stuff a day ahead, so it comes apart.I was beating on a rear rotor on a F-150 for an hour, blew a half can of liquid wrench on it, no luck!#*?" Shot some blaster on it, took a beer break , one pop and off it came.Same think happened on a polaris snowmobile secondary clutch, the stuff is mandatory in any shop. Mark

29. This may seem insignificant but I have found a threadfile to be priceless when you need it. I have saved alot of bolts with this thing.

30. Deuces

Deuces

My Snap-On torque wrench.