Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jerry's 32 3 Window / Hemi Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 13, 2011.

1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

The frame is just about all boxed up. The front crossmember was tweaked a little too so that's out for some massaging. We stuck an original duece tank in it for size. Here's a few pics from tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Looks like the frames coming together good!

Brian

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Just got in from a 9 hour chassis thrash with Koz and made some good progress today.

The front end is now in. Upper shock mounts heated and bent..and installed with threaded slugs in frame, shocks on, wishbone tabs welded on to frame

[​IMG]

I'm using a 40 spring so we modified the rear crossmember to fit the straight 40 spring in the 32 saddle. Need to drill new U bolt holes tomorrow.

[​IMG]

We put in a home made K member made of rolled 10 ga. The ends of each piece are tapered in slightly so we had to make each piece in two halves, weld them together, hole saw em, then install. The radius shape of the bends that were put in on the brake are the same as early Ford and match the outside of the frame rails and the rear crossmember nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple shots before leaving the shop tonight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  4. Looking real good!!

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Another long night in Koz's shop.....taking a break to upload some pics

we got the top bars in, front mounting tabs in, and gusset plates fabbed up and drilled. Here's some shots of the mayhem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Them look really nice,Jerry That car is going to be the BOSS!!!:D

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

just got in..the is chassis done...we mounted the rear lower shock mounts and installed a tranny plate. I'm going to dress some of the welds tomorrow night and start putting the rear together. Thanks again to my partner in crime, Koz!

8. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

This is coming along fantastic. I can't wait to see the body mated back with the totally renewed frame. I really like the fact that you took the long route to save the original rails.

Jay

9. Awesome stuff - keep em coming dude...

Rat

10. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Knocked out some more stuff tonight. We brought the chassis back to my shop the other night. I spent the last couple nights cleaning up some welds and reassembling the chassis.

I took out a few leafs from the rear spring which droppped her down some and made some templates for the upper rear shock mounts. Threw on some shocks I had laying around in the back just for mockup. I have some covered ones that I'll swap out later.

[​IMG]

I made my headlight bar too. I threw the grill shell on so I could get the bar location right. I might take a couple inches out of the legs to get the bar down some. The back of the grill shell is notched slightly because the car was channeled. I'll set the grill shell height after I rechannel the body so things are even and will recut the headlight bar legs later on if I have to. It's cool to see everything mounted..gives me an idea what the front end will look like. The headlights are old chrome BLC's that came with the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Also mounted a cool old pair of Guide marker lights..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  12. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Holy cow! What an amazing car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. fatabone

fatabone

You and Koz are doing a great job....What color are you thinking about spraying the car?

14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Dark 40 Ford maroon

15. fatabone

fatabone

Is she going to shine or are you going to come over to the flattened side?

16. erlomd

erlomd

SUBSCRIBED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT! awesome job!!! can't wait for more!

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

It's going to look like an old well preserved lacquer job when done. Sorta shiny

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Sounds great ,Keep the pics coming ,Shame maroons never really shine,Love the color theme though what color for interior ,Im assuming white......

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

John,
    The interior that I'm going to use was salvaged from a 50's built 3 window..have the matching bench seat cover and am getting some material from the donor car's rumble seat to make kick panels. Those T bird seats came with the car but are now in a buddy's 55 gasser.....This car is getting a stock bench seat. I got the original upholstery out of the other car before it went in the trash ..or on someone else's car. I cleaned it up and am going to save it and re install it in my car. I think it should look good with a maroon exterior. That Lincoln wheel is going in too. These are some old pics when I first got the upholstery that I posted at the beginning of this thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  20. redzula

redzula

those cuide marker lights are cool. but so is the rest of this thread.

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

That is a nice interior remember seeing it before ,,,,,Great work Following your build .Im hoping to get on mine tomorrow ,Beat from shoveling an apartment complex...Still amazed how fast you get em done............

22. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Nothing to exciting today..but a little more progress. Drilled and sleeved my rear crossmember for upper shock mounts. Sleeved each side front to back, welded it up good on the outside and inside the crossmember and welded a shock bolt on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was at a swap meet yesterday and picked up a cool Racer Brown rev limiter plate. I'm going to cut the ends off so I have the center 4 holes and use it to mount my Magneto kill switch and a few other things. Kinda neat because I have a Racer Brown cam in the motor

[​IMG]

23. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Going to start making the new subrail pieces out of 18 guage. I just have some thin stuff in the shop so I'm going to have to get some this weekend. Tonight, I did some small stuff...drilled the U bolt holes in the rear crossmember and holes for the headlight bar and did some more cleaning and grinding on the frame. It's really starting to look nice.

24. Koz

Koz

Better get moving there or you'll miss Tony Lukes!

(See, I guess if I bust your balls I won't have an excuse to screw off on mine!) Actually I'm really up for the Lobster Shack.

25. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Sanded the dash down again and put on another coat of primer..it's ready for paint now. Should look nice with color and the plymouth insert.

[​IMG]

Started working on the subrail structure and got the passenger side front to rear rail just about finished. Instead of using square tubing like alot of guys do, I'm going to make mine out of sheet metal.

I started with some 18 guage with a 90 bent in it...and shaped it on the shrinker-strecher to get the shape of the kick up. Punched some holes along the edges so I could plug weld a strip of steel on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car is going to have a slight channel so I shaped some side subrail/channeling pieces on the shrinker-stretcher to match the curve of the framerails.

[​IMG]

Drilled the mounting holes in them and bolted them in the body mount locations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welded the long side rail and kickup piece together and dressed everything out.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I'm going to do the driver side and start making cross pieces to beef things up. When the subrails are done, I'm going to lower the body down on top of everything, square it up, weld the body to the substructure, and put some bead rolled floor pans it. Things should be nice and strong.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  26. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

lookin' good jerry!! are you going to channel it again ?

27. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

PLEASE,Jerry
    Don't channel it very much---let that beautiful frame show!

28. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Yes..not much..just a little..you'll still see the side reveal on the frame

29. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Got the driver side subrail done. Tomorrow night I'm going to make and install the cross channels and then it's time to drop the body on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  30. fryguy

fryguy

Looking good Jerry!