Register now to get rid of these ads!

Went to buy a work truck got a Model A too!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jan 19, 2012.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

So I called a guy about an ad for a truck. We got to talking and I decided I would go look at the truck. I told the guy that I buy old cars and I was going to use it for hauling. He told me he had something I might want. I asked what and he said an old Model A or T he wasnt sure. I told him I would be interested and asked him to send me some pictures. He sent me a picture and said he wanted $10k for it.

[​IMG]

I told him that was way off of what I could spend on it and that I didnt want to make an offer, as it may insult him. He said ok, $5K I told him before spending that kind of money I would have to see the car. So we agreed to meet on the pickup and then look at the car.

I went and looked at his 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD. He told me he had tried to make deals with numerous "Jokers" and that everyone of them had flaked. He was sick of dealing with people on lt. So I took it for a drive and came back and told him I was interested, I got him to come down to $3800 and we struck a deal. We then decided to go look at the Model A.

On the way there he goes on to tell me how this a very rare car and they go for big money on Barrett Jackson.

Now I was prepared, and told him that there were 546,680 of this particular body style built in 30/31 and that it was one of the most popular body styles they made. I told him they were still pretty common. I said for comparison, there had been roughly 230,000 of the new body style Camaro built and look how many of them you see around.

I then proceeded to explain that Barrett Jackson was a fantasy world for idiots with too much money. That in the real world cars were not worth that kind of money.

So we arrive and look at the car. He explained that the car was in the house when his grand parents bought it. His grand dad had drove it a few time but never got it titled. He said the car had been sitting untouched for about 20 years since his grand dads passing. The car was in way better shape than the pictures had lead me to believe. We discussed the condition of the vehicle and I made him an offer. I told him this was my no BS, no haggle price and if he wanted it fine, if not I understood. I said I would give $2000 cash on the spot. He then tells me that the car would scrap for that. I then told him what scrap was at and that was not an accurate scrap value.

We looked over the car for another 30 minutes debating what we thought the value was. He then finally says lets go inside and sit down and discuss the price. So my brother and I, the seller and his grandma sit down. He tells her my offer. She says they just cant take that for it. I sit the cash on the table and tell them that was the best I could do. I told him it was hassle free cash now with no dealing with "jokers". We then debated the value another 30 minutes and she finally says give me $3000 for it. I told her I just couldnt pay that for the car. We debate a little longer and she says $2500. I said I really hated to but I would come up a little more. I put $200 on the table and told her thats it for me. We then debate yet some more and I told them I'm sorry but thats it for me. I stood up and grabbed the money and put it in my pocket. Before I could get my hand back out they told me ok, they would take $2200.

I gave them the money and loaded up the car. grabbed a bill of sale and was off.

Pics on the next post.

2. adamshumard

adamshumard

3. adamshumard

adamshumard

[​IMG]

Even Had an old parts book from the last time it had been worked on.

[​IMG]

4. Dutchoven

Dutchoven
    from Reno, NV.

Great story, and it shows how much doing your homework and knowing your stuff can help in negotiations. Good score!! Money talks, "Jokers" walk!!! Hahaha

Blake

5. Good (deal) for you. Looks like it's in very good shape. Got any ideas for what to do with it?

6. kram

kram

Good thing you had the cash with you! You definitely came out on top on this deal.

7. adamshumard

adamshumard

I know it probably makes some people mad, but I'm a very hard negotiator. I'm that way in all aspects of life. Has got me into a lot of good deals, and also helped me to get better wages at my job. Being confident helps alot. Especially with people who are misinformed.( watched to much Barrett Jackson)

8. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Nice grab on that!

9. Rob68

Rob68

Another great find and story. Congrats!

10. adamshumard

adamshumard

I was thinking rod, but now I'm contemplating banger hop up or maybe at most building an AV8. But I feel like the old girl deserves better than being cut up. She's just too clean. I'm 28 and its really out of my nature to leave it alone, but I just can't bring myself to chop it up. I bet she feels great today with a little sun on her. 20+ years is a long time away from daylight.

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

So, you stole from a nice old lady.:rolleyes: just sayin'

12. thats not rust

thats not rust

seriously- makes it so hard to make a deal. They need to get that crap off tv- You obviously handled it real well!! Good job! wow.

13. I didn't see the part in the story where a gun was involved....;):D

Either way, you've got a great start there!

14. Big Nick

Big Nick

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Bitchin dude! That's a great price for sure-the car looks way better than it looked in those first pics. That's a really good score. Nice negotiating.

16. adamshumard

adamshumard

If it was her, I may have handled it different, but her grandson(in his 30s) was capable of make a sound decision. I think the 1000s of craigslist tire kickers really affect how people do business. I know there are 100 "I'll take it's" before I ever sell anything. Alot of folks dont want the hassle.

And also the house it was in was well over a quarter million dollar house. Grandma wasnt hurting for money. And they could have always said no to my offer.

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Ok, fixed it.:D

18. JJTF

JJTF

Wow; nice looking car, congratulations!

19. adamshumard

adamshumard

Funny you say that, actually there was.

On the way to grandmas, the seller jokingly tells us hes the craigslist killer and he's going to need the truck title back. My brother then tells him thats cool, that he was strapped. The seller laughs and says "yeah i bet". Then I tell him, "no he's serious, he has his concealled carry and is strapped". My brother tells him "I not a victim". The seller let out a short laugh and changed the subject.

It was priceless.

But I dont think it changed the price of the car. :D :D :D

20. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Some deal. You did not even get a spare tire!!! Nice find.

21. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

You're absolutely correct. 1. Her son was there to prevent a "Little ol' Lady" from getting ripped off. 2. You were respectable, and polite about it, 3. You were real about your offer, and 4. She always could have said no. Good score.

22. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Very Nice, Slick deal too. I always have a couple of thousand handy for the same reason. Firm believer in cash talks over all the Be Back Club Members out there. Good Score. :eek::eek:

23. acj

acj

Thats a great find, I'd like to find one like that myself.

24. big bad john

big bad john

.......Looks like a nice Model A.......keep us posted on the car....congrats on the deal you made...

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

26. In my neck of the woods you got it for 1/2 price. Good score. First pictures you posted hid a lot of the nice stuff. Kudos.

27. adamshumard

adamshumard

I feel like I did really well on the car and the truck I hauled it home with. I know they were both worth quite a bit more than I paid for them. But what they are worth and what I was willing to pay was different amounts. I guess it all comes down to what the seller was willing to take. It was deffinately a good day.

28. The guy I bought my 35 from had a long list of "jokers" he gleaned off his answering machine after he came back from a short trip. One "I'll take" phoned while I was loading it. He got to tell him he sold it and it was in the proccess of being loaded. I got the satisfaction of hearing him say so. Still makes me smile.

Those jokers are the reason I price my stuff high. If a person is serious enough to show up and treat me with the respect any human deserves he can walk away with a great deal.

Doug.

29. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Now you just have to put it in the next B-J auction, and you'll pocket TONS of money....ask any TV hound

That's beautiful car. I am impressed by your negotiating skills. The folks that are able to convince the seller that they're ready to walk at a certain price level nearly always get what they came for. A dollar today is worth more than two next week.

dj

30. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

Beautiful just the way it is....