Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

welcome, spent 20 years working at huntsville speedway,going there since i was 5 yrs old. i'll be 55 this year....hmmmm.great pics in this thread
    you may like these sites also ;
    http://public.fotki.com/alabamaracingphotos/
    http://www.dogfightmag.com/

2. allstarracing

allstarracing

Clem Proctor bought my 406 after he blew the engine in his just before riverside. There was a 400 ci. limit and they were destroking 406's to 394 ci. His bird is what inspired me to build mine. I took the money for my engine and bought the last Boss 302 Ford engine from Vel Miltech of Vel's Parnelli Jones racing. I wondered what happened to his bird. The other one I would like to find out what happened to is Ron Honaday Sr.,s. It was a light yellow and numbered 31 and was called "Thunder Bucket". There was an article in Stockcar Racing Magizine. Allstarracing

3. JThur01

JThur01

Thanks DRH. After I thought about it, I recalled Larry in the Sigman GTO. Definitely remember Butts in the Chevelle. Stuck down in the South Bay area, dad wasn't able to make it home from work in time on Fridays for us to make it out to SGVS much. The rush hour in LA was already that bad!

4. JThur01

JThur01

D'oh, I was at that Permatex race. I knew I'd seen the #99 Torino, but drew a blank of who was in it. Thanks again, DRH!

5. lpebworth74

lpebworth74
    from utah

Ok socal friends, can anyone tell me where this one was taken? I am making a book for my dad that i want to surprise him with or i would just ask him. Thanks for all the feed back so far. Reading the posts from Beentherebefore and allstarracing has been a real treat. thanks guys.

6. JThur01

JThur01

Ascot Park. That would have been when your dad was going up against Clem Proctor's powerful '53 Dodge convertible and Don Noel's all conquering #88 to name just a couple. On Sunday afternoons, Dick Lane would have been on the mic, the races broadcast on KTLA-TV.

And might that be "Wild" Bill Foster's '58 T-Bird in the background?

7. lpebworth74

lpebworth74
    from utah

Hey guys, here are a few more.

This is the quote written on the back of the fist pic, "Started 4th row outside, number 2 turn, 1st lap, in lead (didn't make it!).......... I had a good laugh over that one.

not sure about the second one. it was taken by robert w. parker out of Saugus.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  8. toml24

toml24

Yes, the photo is of Ascot Park Gardena, perhaps around 1964-1965. Do you have any more Ascot photos from the 1960s or perhaps from Western Speedway in the early 1960s?

9. lpebworth74

lpebworth74
    from utah

This one looks like it might be Ascot as well.

10. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

I can't make oit exactly what track that is but the #9 is the killer Plymouth that "Wild Bill" Foster drove to many wins at Saugus.

11. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

The first picture looks like SGVS.

12. DRH556

DRH556

Yes that first pic is SVGS from 1969.....Also in the pic is Odie Robertson in the Sampson Diamond 5, Bill Meyer in the Keith & Carl's Chevy & Stan Sheidecker in the Bob Brown #707. Stan won the championship at SGVS that year. The second pic is Ascot. Oh, BTB, I don't have an actual pic of the Sigman/Butts '72 Charger, but I did capture it on 8mm ideling down Riverside's pit road as it attempted to qualify for the '72 500........

13. CHUCK STARK

CHUCK STARK

We raced at oskie back in 67 and Marvin Corns (?) drove a 63/64 galaxie dark red. He was hard to beat! We had a 55 Merc with a 427, some times we could give him fits. Wes Smith from Story City was the driver. Chuck pic #5308

14. toml24

toml24

EXCELLENT color photo of Ascot!!! Very cool!!! It makes me want to go back in time and sit in the grandstand and watch the afternoon racing. It is a very good bet this day of racing was on KTLA-5 television. PLEASE show us more!!!

15. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Thanks DRH. Boy, if you ever get that 8mm stuff converted to digital.....

16. DRH556

DRH556

Actually BTB, it is on DVD...I had a 400 foot reel that included stuff from OSS, San Gabe, Riverside & Ontario from '71-'72. I gave a copy to Tom, who has Bill Foster's Plymouth, & he posted the Riverside & Ontario stuff on Youtube, although it's a private listing or something like that. I thought he might have sent you a link to it. The shot of the Sigman/Butts Charger is included in the Youtube stuff that Tom posted..............

17. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put out to pasture for 41 years ........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Sorry to hear of the passing of Mildred Marcum. I spent many a night watching midgets at the Flatrock Speedway when I was a kid. I drive by the speedway every year when I go to the Detroit Autorama.

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Here's a few pics of the Wood Brothers....

20. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Cale... The last one is where he beat up Bobby's fist with his face. :D

21. Anyone got some San Diego area pics and narrative??

I have searched the heck outta this thread and zero pics from San Diego's Balboa Stadium , closed in about '61 and Cajon (worlds fastest 3/8ths mile!) only gets a couple of pics , what gives ?

Alot of big names came outta that area and the LA boys always seemed to show when the purses helped the travel costs.

22. J. Yates

J. Yates
    from Bowie, MD

Doe’s anyone remember Joe Wright, who was killed in a race at Hagerstown Speedway back around 1952 or ‘53? I was there that day, but I can’t find any news accounts about his death.

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Got this from the Motorsports Memorial site:

"Joe Wright was 23 years old, living in Alexandria, Virginia with his wife and two daughters. He was a US Navy veteran, having served as a Seaman First Class late in the Second World War.

"On 22 July 1951 at Hagerstown Speedway in Hagerstown, Maryland, Wright was fighting for the lead of a race when his stock car was hit by another racer. His car was spun around into the middle of the track, where it was broadsided by a third car. The gas tank ruptured from the impact and his car burst into flames. Taken to Washington County Hospital in Hagerstown suffering from burns over 90 percent of his body, he died the next day.

"Joe Wright was survived by his wife and daughters Linda Kay, 3, and Melva Joe, 6 months. He was buried at Alexandria National Cemetery."

Google Motorsports Memorial to find the site. They also list reference sources in each entry, which may help you find other accounts.

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

maybe the right place.got a friend building a early grand national clone . he had a ??? that i didn't know. what year(s) was the front hoop,(roll bar hoop) 1st used on/in nascar . anyone have any idea?

25. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

from Nascar.com

Roll cages

It wasn't until 1952 that NASCAR's rule book required a roll bar that went from the doorpost to the roof of the car to keep the roof from caving in, in the event of a rollover crash. Eventually that led to teams building roll cages inside the factory-ordered vehicles.

Starting in 1960, John Holman and Ralph Moody of the Ford factory team began designing roll cages and then adding the bodywork around the completed frame, which remains the standard today. During that decade, additional bars were added to the frame .

26. allstarracing

allstarracing

I think what B.A.King is asking is about the radiator loop and I think 1965 was the first ones although some may have been on earlier cars. Most pictures of the 63-64's I have seen don't have them. The shocks are mounted on tubing stubs welded on top of the frame in front of and behind the upper aframe. I think 1965 was the first where it was mandatory to have the radiator loop. I do know that nearly all of the old N.A.S.C.A.R. cars that came to A.R.C.A. had the loops put in as a lot of them had later sheetmetal put on. Even in the early seventies there were Torino bodies on the 57-59 60-64 Ford frames and Chevelle bodies on 55-57 60-66 Chevy frames and all had radiator loops installed years ago. Allstarracing

27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

he is building a slightly ot clone of smokey yunicks 66/67 chevelle. the pics we have found does not show a front hoop?? almost looks stock under the hood? google it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  28. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

I'll do some digging in my old magazines. I would say mid sixties myself. I still have all my old SCR magazines and I remember years ago reading an article about when Nascar allowed the 65 Ford frame to be used in newer bodies. I have no answer, just rambling. I sure think up to 64 anyway they still just mounted shock mounts off the frame with no front hoop.

29. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Just looking at pics H&M Fords and Petty Plymouths from 67 and 68 and they still didnt have a front hoop.

30. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Ford's picked up front hoops in late 1966 when the first half chassis Fairlanes appeared.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012