Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting closer on the vintage look with big inch sbc power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace50coupe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

I've been working on this engine for about 2 years had a lot of speed bumps. Its a 388 .060 350 3.75 inch stroke with some vintage speed equipment. It has 11:1 comp, howards mechanical cam 244 @ .050 both 288 advertised .510 lift before lash. Comp cams 1.6 full rollers, Cloyes double roller chain, Double hump heads 462x heads 2.02 1.60 full port and tested on a flow bench with screw in studs and guide plates, mickey thompson valve covers not the re pop shitty ones, mallory ignition with a unilite, crane cams digital ignition, e series coil, eagle rotating assembly, aslo had a vic jr intake with a 750 vacuum secondary carb which sucked.

I just purchased a edelbrock tm-1 (tarantula) intake and a holley 800 dp. I am trying to keep it an old school set up but with a little bit of modern parts for power and reliability. still rockin 4.10 gears, mini spool, and a m-22 with a hurst. As for the rear rubbers M&H racemasters 11 inches wide with radius wheel wells.

I hope you guys like the pics!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. edweird

edweird

i like the route you're taking.

3. Long live the SBC!

Lookin' good... Although a fresh coat of satin black would freshen it up a lot.

4. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

yeah i want satin burgundy, someday soon hopefully.

5. Looking good. I really like the fender well headers.

6. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

Schoenfield headers with j bends welded then collecters welded in place

7. Aces, I like it, if you can take just a pinch of constructive suggestion, loose/hide the coil and valve cover open breather. Very nice job otherwise, TR

8. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Holy Shit i'll bet that is one quick little mutha!!

I love it!

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Rad! I like it!

10. With that red shag carpet everyone is going to call you the hippy rodder. :D:D
    You could hide the coil behind the firewall and run a bulkhead if you want to keep it clean. Just thought, I probably wouldn't but it will get you away from that new looking coil.

I like what you are doing by the way, a real hot rod chebby, not one of those goofed up street beast looking things. Exceptional.

11. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

hahaha yeah i should hide the coil. i do have one open breather on one side but the other is just a oil cap.

12. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

the fastest the car has went was 11.97 at 800ish feet above sea level but i did not launch too hard since it still is stock leaf sprins in the rear. it doesnt even have slapper bars hahaha. im going to invest in 55-57 chev caltraks and modify them to work.

13. Ha, I hadn't paid any attention to the breather. I got a brand new one with a dust shield setting on my desk. One of my old roundy round buddies gave it to me about 15 years ago.

What you may do is keep an eye out for a pair of Almquist breathers. I'll find you a pic. They are like a smaller version of the mood breathers. They usually don't go to high and will finish it off well. I have never given more than 15 bucks for a pair for them. They were more common on a street strip car than the moon or offy breathers.

I PMd the pics to you. Don't want to hijack your thread.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  14. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

ah ok cool yeah let me see some pics. the only problem i have been having is the valve covers do not have baffles in them. had to clear the rollers some how that said oil will splash out of my valve cover at high rpms. Definatly need to fix that soon.

15. caltracs are a good idea but you can build your own as cheap or cheaper and not have to modify a set of caltracs.

I run 'em when I am not running a 4 link or a ladder setup. I like being able to back them off for the street.
    You can fold up a piece of brass shim stock to make a baffle. The small block I sent you the pic of is setup that way. Just fold up a thing rectangle that you can attach to the valve cover. No need to be fancy the air will slip by the openings in the corners. They work fine that way.

Hey what are those tail lights? I just figured out what your car reminds me off. A fella I used to race with when I was a kid picked up someones old custom and put a hot motor in it. He got the old body cheap, it was in about the same condition as yours is now. He ran it in primer for one season then in the off season he put a slick paint job on it. They called it the hot rod custom at the track. He fooled a lot of people at the track and on the street. it was a screamer.

16. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

ok i will have to try that. im tired of oil running down on my headers. i really dig the breathers i will havee to look some up.

17. Just keep an eye on the classifieds. or maybe drop little wing a note. She usually has stuff like that she is willing to get rid of.

18. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

It looks like a fun car to me. I used to have a Tarantula intake and I wish I still did. Nothing like a pumped SBC and a good shifting 4 speed and steep gear. Love it!

19. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

ok i will have todo that thanks. This is a fun car 50/50 shocks in the rear the front end raises up everytime i get on it haha man its a blast down old country roads.

20. JJTF

JJTF

Cool car & great setup, I have a TM-1 on the shelf I took in trade & was thinking about trying,...thanks for the inspiration.

21. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

the only problem with the tarantula is it has a heat crossover. Oh wel a beer can and some epoxy will block that off just fine.

22. hellerods

hellerods

Your car reminds me of my older brother and his chevy back in the mid-sixties-- thanks for the memories--nice car, keep up the good work!!!!!!!

23. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

Thanks everyone!!