Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '66 Chevy C10 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ErikDaViking, Feb 23, 2011.

1. texas56

texas56

I agree looks good! Nice project! And thanks for the Advice Ron, we have been spraying this as well and having tiger stripe issues. Will try this next time!

2. chevymike

chevymike

Looking good. Can't wait to see it painted.

One suggestion would be, put the return spring on the carb side. This is safer than putting it on the pedal. This way if the cable should bind in the housing, the carb side will try to pull it closed versus the pedal side trying to push it closed.

Keep up the good work.

3. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Over the last week I got the radiator tested and painted, ready to go in, and painted the white trim for the cab, specifically the roof and some scallops on the dash. Real small amount of actual painting, but the taping off took all day Saturday. I also painted a little accent bit on the steering wheel I'm going to use.

Here's the dash, when we do the exterior there will be matching scallops on the hood and probably the fenderwells behind the wheels. I'm gong to go through and try and pull a line of red One Shot around them to outline them, make them a little more finished.

<p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>

I also painted the center of the roof white to break up the black a little. The glove box door will have white on it, the steering wheel spokes and center cap will be white, and I will probably do the door panels in white. Its all Hot Rod Flatz Classic White...
    <p>
    [​IMG]

<p>
    Its all coming together nicely, gotta install the master cylinder and bleed the brakes, then I think we'll hit the wiring harness. Stay tuned...

4. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Pulled some red stripes around the white on the dash this afternoon. I am not exactly an expert striper, so I was a little nervous, but it was fairly simple and came out nice. Makes the whole thing look more finished. Lines are not perfect but I did them myself so I'm happy.....
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]

5. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Don't know how I missed this thread.That is some nice work you are doing there. I have one of those trucks also and, I am from Arlington also, nice work you should be proud.

6. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Finally have one complete system finished. David and I finished installing the brake lines and master cylinder, got her all bled out today. I used Speed Bleeders, and I strongly recommend them. We still did it as a two man job, but I just watched till it was free of air as David slowly pumped the pedal. Much easier and quicker than the whole down tighten up loosen down thing...Here's a picture of the master cylinder in place, brakes don't make exciting pictures so its more symbolic than anything.

On to the wiring now!
    <p>[​IMG]

7. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

Nice project subscribed...

8. D-man313

D-man313

Subscribed! Just read all 7 pages and the truck looks great and is making great progress. Me and my dad are just finishing up my 49. We did the same thing as getting the business end done first. i got my truck when i was 14, turned 16 in march, and got my licence about 2 weeks ago. My truck has been on the road for about a month and half, and its been a blast building my first truck.

Its a great feeling to drive down the road for the first time after all the hard work, especially saying you and your son did all the work.

All my friends asked for video games for Christmas, and i got a welder! So needless to say im not a normal 16yo but im ok with that

Have fun!
    David

9. Rusty65

Rusty65
    from Florida

wow.....I thought I had rust issues. Thanks for the inspiration.

10. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Sure hope you test fit your doors after the rocker replacement.
    Great work btw.

11. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

D-man, right on! I was hoping to get ours done before David got his license, but didn't quite make it. We are getting really really close now though. Glad you and your old man had a good time with your's, you sound like a great kid thats going places in life. If your school has it, you should take metal shop, I had three years of Ag Mechanics in High School, most useful stuff I learned in 12 years of education except reading and writing!

Rusty, I didn't realize how extensive the rust was when I started. Just kept powering through...The scallops in your profile pic are the same as I'm thinking for ours.

SoCal Pete, I did check the doors. I didn't adjust them, but I did bolt them to the hinges and make sure they at least fit in the openings. The passenger side is a little tight on the bottom front, but I can adjust it out with the hinges. I think I would cry if I had to redo the rockers!

12. The_Monster

The_Monster

Great build!

On the throttle cable. Id bet the cable wouldnt snap from rubbing on the casing either, but theres no way Id want my throttle cable rubbing each time I accelerated, on anything. Just friction and drag and eventually bending the cable if nothing else.

Heres what Id suggest for your current set up. Remove the extention tab you welded to your pedal arm. Mount the throttle cable in the firewall hole just above the one its in now. The further the cable is from the pedal pivot point, the larger the arc. However, if you get it too far away from the pivot point, it wont take much pedal movement to be at full throttle. So find a happy in between. Now fab up a new longer extention tab and weld it to the pedal arm. Make sure that when you mount your throttle cable end to the extention tab, that the cable is angling up a bit, not straight (horizontal). This way when you apply the gas pedal it isnt instantly starting a downward arc. Itll pull straight out for most of your driving and then start to arc down at full throttle.

If this doesnt make any sense, check out my pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Now that makes sense. I could adjust for the length of the pull by moving the carb end down a hole on the throttle rod...

Gonna see about doing this I think. That downward angle bothers me if only because its not neat and tidy, know what I mean?

14. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

awesome build.

15. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Time for another update. Been plugging away, and I've made some progress. Cleaned out the fuel tank with Marine Clean and marbles, it wasn't really too bad. Sealed it with the POR 15 fuel tank stuff. But the biggest improvement is getting the wiring 90% done. I got an EZ Wire 12 circuit kit with the small fuses. Overall the quality was outstanding, nice wire, well marked, and everything went where it was supposed to without problems. At $123 at a swapmeet, it was priced right. In retrospect, I would probably go with the full size fuse box next time, but that's just my personal preference, this one will work just fine.

Heres a few shots from the start of the job, harness laid out in more or less the right spots. What a mess!

<p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>

[​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>

16. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Wiring can be intimidating, but EZ Wire included a pretty good set of instructions with some diagrams, and a copy of the factory wiring diagrams was invaluable for answering some questions. I called once to tech support for a question about the ignition switch, and they were quick and helpful. I did have to reuse a bunch of the plugs etc from my old harness, and the turn signal and ignition plugs were pre-wired into the wrong kind of connector so I had to redo them, but it was not as hard as I had expected. Very time consuming making up the connections properly though, I used quality crimp on connectors and then heatshrink tubing over them. Ran all the wires through plastic loom form NAPA. 90% of it is done now, I need to wire in the tailights and add a battery, alternator, and starter, but I think its gonna be good to go. And definitely 1000 times easier than trying to sort out the rats nest of a "stock" harness that has been "repaired" by 40 years worth of bubba's.... Now to get the rest of the interior done and the engine started!
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]

17. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Been busy since I posted a month and a half ago...Things are really coming together. Lets start with paint, again. Despite it being cold, wet, and miserable here in the great NW, it was time to paint the last of the parts to put the cab back together. That was the doors (off a donor truck), fuel tank, door panels, instrument cluster, glove box doors, steering wheel and a few other misc bits and pieces. The doors were off a Custom Cab, so first thing was to weld up the trim holes. Then everything was wire brushed, sanded and prepped.
    <p>
    It was too wet and cold to paint outside, so I converted my 10' X 15' shop into a hillbilly spray booth by hanging tarps on the walls and running a kerosene heater for a few hours to get the temps up above 50 degrees or so. Still too cold, but it worked ok. Here's the bits with the first coat of primer.
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    So far so good. We are doing the interior in Hot Rod Flatz Hot Rod Black, with Classic White trim and accents. The next day I got both colors sprayed. Stuff came out great.
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    The wheel is out of a '63? Chevy truck, it was the "Deluxe" wheel, and is also the same as the ones they used in late 50's Biscaynes.
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    After it dried up for a day or two, I pulled dome red stripes around the edges with some One Shot. I am by no means a pinstriped, but it came out decent. The whole truck is really taking on a garage built feel anyway....NOT a "rat rod", but clearly its what it is, a truck built with love by its owners to the best of their abilities..

18. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Now that everything is finally painted and ready to go, the fun part starts: Re-assembly! It felt really good to see the cab coming together, things starting to look the way we planned. I'm excited about how its coming out. I can feel us getting closer and closer to the day we can drive down the road in her....
    <p>
    Heres what we started with:
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    And here is the cab as of last night:
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    Just a few more little jobs and I'll put a battery in and see how I did on the wiring.

19. deeddude

deeddude

Nice work. The truck is really coming along. I was looking for one of these truck when I found my 54' Bel Air, actually I was looking at many cars and trucks; but I've always liked the old Chevy trucks. I'm eager to see what she looks like painted, the green you choose is the same color I'm wanting to use. It's good to see your son is helping, that sure will solidify your relationship with him. Memories neither one of you will forget. Good Luck with the project.<O:p</O:p

20. The_Monster

The_Monster

wow! great progress! thanks for taking the time to share it!

21. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Things are really starting to come together fast now, its kind of exciting. All that hard work starting to pay off. I've got a lot of little stuff done, things are getting crossed off the list left and right. Here's a picture of my son and I putting the doors back on:
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    I stole the battery form my daily driver truck to check the wiring, everything was working except for the wipers, blew a fuse so I must have done something wrong there. Otherwise, all lights and flashers and stuff were doing what they were supposed to. What a relief! Just a few odds and ends to wire in, like the heater and the alternator.

I put new tailights on ($10 NAPA specials, out of work so cheap is good!), got the parking brake back in place, painted the shift knob and put it on, blew out and cleaned the fuel line from the tank to the engine bay, installed and wired the starter, put the fan back on, wired in the front turn signals, installed the tank and a new sending unit, and found a plug for the PCV valve hole in the valve cover.
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    The list of stuff needing to be done before starting this beast is getting shorter: fuel lines, alternator, fill with fluids, vacuum lines, oil filter, and exhaust. Once those are done, she should run. Add the passenger door, new tires, fender re-installed, and a windshield and she'll be driving!

Hope to have the fuel sorted by the end of the week.

22. spoolinawdtsi

spoolinawdtsi

Great post! I just ran across this from a google search. Im doing the same thing. 66 step side short bed.

23. spoolinawdtsi

spoolinawdtsi

here pic of my project.
    i just sold the black 66 c10 long bed since i picked up this step side short bed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  24. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Nice, looks like its not TOO rusty. I love the blue and whit color scheme, you gonna keep that look?

25. spoolinawdtsi

spoolinawdtsi

I plan to! I just sandblasted the frame. Doing same as u all undercarriage will be painted. I'm doing interior red. By I want to leave outside with vintage look. Ill be running a mild came 350 with turbo. I'm pulling motor from my chevelle.
    468 going in chevelle ...

26. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Sweet. That Chevelle is gonna scoot with that big block in it!

27. Nice work! very inspiring. My girls are still a little to young to help much but they try. Your build reminds me of the good times I had with my dad. Priceless. He will remember this forever.

28. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Nice work on the truck. It is looking awesome.
    He will always remember the truck he fixed up with his dad.
    Cool stuff.

29. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Yesterday I finished running the fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carbs. Initially I used 1/4" copper tube, but after some thought and some advice from the guys on this board, I pulled it off and started over with 5/16" copper, I'm using compression fittings to join it all up.

Here's the supplies I started with, about $25 worth of tube and fittings from the hardware store downtown.

<p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    Using a lot of patience and thinking things through ahead of time as much as possible, I wound up with a pretty good looking fuel system that should work like a champ. I am not 100% happy with the fuel filter location, but I wanted a glass filter housing so I could see if fuel was flowing (and because I think they look cool) and I wanted it after the pump, so this seemed like the best location.
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    Real close to starting her up now. Just gotta fill with fluids, install the alternator (gonna take a little bracket fabrication thanks to the cast iron headers), and fabricate an exhaust. Sounds like a lot, but compared to the list a year ago, its a cake walk.

30. The truck is looking good! The time you spend with your son is well spent, My son and I have worked on three different projects together and now his older sister is getting in the act. To make it official, I bought her a pair of overalls (try finding those in a small)