Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empire

empire

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Cab Callaway might say, "Man! This joint is jumpin'!" :eek:
    (Er, maybe NOT!) :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Frisco Freeze drive-in, Division Ave., Tacoma, WA.

3. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I just found this photo on Tumblr.

[​IMG]

4. Dang that building defies the laws of gravity!

5. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

That's Jackie "Moms" Mabley. A very funny lady.:)

6. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

If this http://youtu.be/A-I2kLNwBak has not been shared yet? It needs to be!

Take a 6 minute drive through the streets of LA circa late 40s.
    Make sure to go full screen!
    Enjoy guys

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Must have been around 48 to 50 as I seen some new 48 to 50 ford trucks and a few Chevy AD trucks plus a 48ish Studebaker.

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

^^^^^very cool,thanks for posting

9. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

There is nothing newer than a '48 in there. Really great to see that video. Thanks.

10. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

You guys that are always talking about traditional rods need to pause the video at 3:22

11. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

cool video, nice coe @5:15 on the left

12. Cougar67

Cougar67
    from Central VA

I had a roomate several years ago who left a rusty one of these in my shed. I sprayed it black and now use it as a doorstop. The weird thing is her great grandfather had a grocery store in Knoxville, TN and she was told it was used to tie out horses. I never believed it was heavy enough for that. It weighs about 5 pounds!

1937 chev likes this.
  13. Result?? Baby boom! :D

14. dukeofearl

dukeofearl

I remember those. When I was growing up in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada They were still delivering milk by horse drawn wagons as late as 1962. They would throw out the anchor when the milkman left the wagon. I would always carry an apple to give to the horse as I was on the way to school

15. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

And here I thought the baby boom was just caused by horny soldiers coming home and knocking up their sweethearts.

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Most horses are taught to "tie" at a very young age (as foals mostly) and back in the day the cart and carriage horses were taught to really obey being tied as they had to do it everywhere they went. Horses have a natural "fight or flight" mechanism in which when they feel scared their immediate reaction is to bolt away...as fast as they can. When you teach a horse to tie its best to do it as young foals. teaching larger, full grown horses to tie can be very dangerous as they are too big and can easily hurt themselves.

Foals, like kids, "bounce well" if they fall. When you first teach a horse to tie their immediate reactions are to pull back and fight it. It can get violent and always have to make sure they are tied by a quick release knot incase something goes awry. The foals will frequently flip themselves over (key to make sure the ground beneath them is a soft one). They learn after 2-3 times that its not acceptable behavior and they better just stand there. The more trained a horse is to tie; the better. A horse that is well trained to tie won't pull back on their tether much at all; hence the reason why those 5lb anchors really didnt matter if they were hooked into the ground or not...the horse wasnt going to fight it :) :) . If the horse wasnt attached to anything....then he'd know it and walk away

These old days were the days when cart and carriage horses were machines, not animals. With the acception of very few caring owners; most horses were disposable forms of machinery that didnt always get the best of care, farrier work, feed, etc....especially those horses in the cities that didnt have access to a pasture and nice feed. Many were worked to exhaustion and lameness. The poor treatment of cart horses (like the horses in these photos) led Anna Sewell to right the grat story Black Beauty

Anyways; im off my rocker.... I love this thread

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

FarmerGal's right. It doesn't take a ton barbell to get a good horse to stand still and patiently wait. Horses are pretty smart animals. :) If you work with them from the colt and filly stage, starting with just getting them to be comfortable with being led on a halter, most train up fine. (I'll bet a high-spirited stallion might be a handful, though!:eek:)

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Thanks to Gwyneth, the Daring Librarian

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Teaching modern men their place? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the era when outlandish stunts were both public enter-
    tainment and a competition. :rolleyes: Thanks to DullToolDim Bulb,
    in fact Jim Linderman. These pix and many others are in his
    book, Vintage Photographs of Arcane Americana, available
    in paperback, or cheap as an e-book.

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Hope & Crosby were a smash, but this must have been the only time
    the musical-comedy duo were called rad! :p This pic is of the marquee
    of the Carolina Theatre in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in early
    1948. Thanks to 2719Hyperion

21. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  22. What the heck is a 'tweet"?

[​IMG]

Trojan Horse likes this.
  23. 15 passenger stretch staff car, built for military. Looks like about 1942, maybe a Chevy or other GM?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. "Come alive! You're in the Pepsi Generation..."

Ooops I did it again. Not from the 60s, this truck appears to be from the 40s or early 50s:

[​IMG]

25. Yes, what you all said.

We had horses when I was young but didn't have fancy ties like those in the picture; instead usually a cement block or whatever was at hand would do the trick. It didn't take too much resistance, the good horses stayed put. But we had one old 'jughead' that just didn't get it, he'd drag the block around till it snagged on something or until we'd retrieve him. And he was the only one we had that wouldn't stop with just a hackamore either. He just never got it.

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I just love the pure history - all kinds - that we get on this thread. Keep it comin'.

27. Heo2

Heo2

Ot but i had this racehorse and my dog would
    lead her in the morning when i take her out
    to the pasture funny sight a 45 pound dog
    leading a big horse. And some days when
    she was a little bit "entusiastic" she could
    lift me from the ground with the leash
    that horse had some mood swings
    But my good she was fast as the wind

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP!----1947-48--I was in hi school then, just got my drivers license!
    Photographer must have had buddies follow him at safe distance so as not to disrupt his filming.
    Love all those old cars parked on the sides---Wonder how many became Street rods?
    Even saw a '32 roadster one time.
    Those old traffic signals that went from GO to STOP were always a contention about whether you ran a signal or not! They also had a loud DING that notified you of instant change.
    Don't think there were any cars later than 1948 after viewing.
    Neat thread!!!------- Thanks for sharing,---Don:D:D

29. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Me too. I hope this isn't too far OT -- it was -7F this morning, and the recent posts of horses got me to thinking about 2 sights that used to be common in the northeast. Before vehicles that needed plowed roads, we had big rollers that packed snow down on the roads so sleighs and the like could be pulled around more easily. And come springtime, long before there were tractors (or plastic tubing), there were horse drawn sleds used to haul maple sap to the evaporator.

30. I grew up around horses too. Although we didn't collect sap for maple syrup like in those pics you (twin6) posted, we had a bobsled and one of the neighbors had a cutter that we rode quite a lot in the winter time when kids. Most of our summers in the 50s & 60s were spent doing 'horse stuff ' shows, trail rides, etc. in Michigan.

Here's a shot of me at age 4 or so, with one of our more "mature" horses, I think it was in '54 or '55:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.