Register now to get rid of these ads!

most important tool in your shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pdunn10, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I finally have my own shop, problem is I don't have any major tools. I was wondering what tools can you guys not live without. I have the basic stuff like angle grinders and hammers, wrenches, sockets, a chop saw. What I'm talking about are tools like a torch, a mig or tig set up, a large capacity compressor, you know the tools you have to pinch a few pennies to get. If you had to start over with nothing what order would you acquire your tools. Thanks

2. mig, compressor, torches, lift. and since i hurty-ated my disc, a helper.

3. F&J

F&J

I bought new Smiths torches in 70. Then a used commercial Miller mig in the late 70s.

I still have both. Torches are good to have but the mig is so useful on a daily basis, that if I had to give one up? I would keep the mig. but I would miss the heck out of the torches.

Big compressors are nice, but you can get by with smaller for now, then go big or run dual smaller ones for blasting etc. work with what you have kind of thing.

4. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

large air comp, torch, 220 mig welder, air lift, milling machine, tire machine, metal band saw all that stuff is nice. if i were you i would be looking for all that stuff, just buy what is a really good deal first.

5. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

In order of importance:
    Mig, lathe, oxy acetylene torch, vertical mill, guard dog, radio

Almost forgot about having an overhead I-beam as a monorail with an 2ton electric chain-fall, that comes in real handy. Fits between the dog & radio.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  6. 500 single

500 single

Pocket screwdriver. The one with the little magnet on the end. No, it won't weld anything or cut metal, but I use it constantly, and misplacing it is like losing a thumb!

7. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

BEER FRIDGE, Internet and a TV.

then

MIG, TIG, torches, lathe, drill press, band saw, and a first aid kit

8. tjmercury

tjmercury

My old coke machine with beer and beverages (always handy), oh yeah, and the mig welder, compressor and torch

9. 57choptop

57choptop

1:mig
    2:torch setup
    3:portaband

10. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

If ya ask me it's my belt sander. It's a low cost tool that is very useful. Every home shop needs one.

11. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Your brain, if you think out of the box you can do a lot with a small selection of tools.

12. Clark

Clark

You can do a lot with a drill, 4 1/2" grinder and a welder.
    Clark

13. Key to get in my shop... :)

14. russ1403

russ1403

i vote for hands and fingers as well as brain cuz with out them tools would be nothing but metal objects.

15. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Number one tool in both shops : common sense, followed by 2Stage air compressor.

16. I'd say a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder is the most useful tool Ive ever used

17. Gerg

Gerg

compressor and welder... but i too have a beer fridge and internet in fact i am in the shop right now being productive...

18. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

I carry one as well. One of, if not the most used tool I have.

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup. My first car was built with little more plus the knowledge I gained here.

I had hand tools, a drill, an angle grinder and MIG welder. If I were just starting out and could do it over knowing what I now know... I would first buy torches and a stick welder so I could gas weld sheet metal and use the stick for chassis work, adding a MIG as soon as I could.

20. Full fridge closely followed by an open bathroom. Okay I suppose a good Mig welder and good hammers and dollies would work for me also.

21. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

My sharpie marker................Littleman

22. rrayne

rrayne

if i could start over i would take the safety glasses, face mask and gloves a little more serious. as far as production tools. the best air compressor you can afford, of course a welder at least a 220 mig if you can afford it, i still really like my old stick welder. as soon as one could save up for it. a plasma cutter.

1. safety equipment
    2. air compressor
    3. welder
    4 plasma cutter

23. McDeuce

McDeuce

Good work bench and a really good vise

24. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Your noodle, without the ol' thinker those tools wouldn't be squat.:D Then a drill, a grinder, and a welder. I try to learn a new trick or how to use a tool in a different way everyday to keep my brain limber. Those mental gymnastics can be brutal thats why you need the beer fridge.:D

25. Is the color important? :D

26. If it wasn't for BONDO I'd have no skills at all.

Used it again today matter of fact...

27. cheveey57

cheveey57

28. RodStRace

RodStRace

Lights. All the tools listed are pointless at 9 PM without lights!

29. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Actually yes...depends on what your marking so I can see the line..he he..........and I like the ultra fine line Sharpie !.........I just cut the quarters off the new Roadster drag car tonight.........I could not use them fancy tools to make the cuts...until I layed it out w/ the Sharpie !.....Tools are good but I love my markers and poster board.....Littleman

30. You mean like this :

[​IMG]

Just talked about this the other day.
    The 4" grinder, it really isn't the most important but without a doubt its the most supportive.

Depends on what you do greatly. For some its a parts washer and others have no need for one. If you play with raw steel, its by far the things that cut it.