Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Used to run my 60 Impala at White City.

Attached Files:

2. I'd forgotten about that Dart, but it was sure was a runner. The Scotty's AA/FD was red and blue striped, ran about 68-69 ( I think). It could have been the rebuilt Bev's Steak House Fuller chassis, I don't know. I don't recall who drove it either.
    There was also a long nose 66 Mustang , yellow in color that ran FC for a while. I don't know who ran it, but the lived just a block away from me in Milwaulkie, just a short way off Johnson creek Blvd and (then) 41st). You could hear that thing roar when they started it up!

3. Here's a pic I found on the web of Scotty's in 1965 ( on the left).
    I think there was one in NW as well.

4. Here's Richard Shroeders 67 Camaro.
    [​IMG]

Kan Kustom likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The Scotties Drive in car was owned by Ken Maki and driven by Dave Hawkins, Ken also owned the Green Anglia mentioned earlier. The guy who ran the Austin Healy was Danny Kilcup, His 40 Ford coupe with a blown flathead was featured in Car Craft in the 50s. It sold at B-J Auction a few years ago for 250 Grand. The other Austin Mentioned was probably the Whealdon Bros out of Oregon City. It was a MG 100 coupe.

6. You mean the Anglia, right?
    You are a wealth of information, keep posting! Do you remember a SS or Stock car called "Hurry Sundown"?

7. I used to pit with Danny. He ran an Austin Healy with an inline chevy in it. He had it dressed to resemble the healy mill in '70 used to try and sneak by in stock class on occaision. Almost always got kicked off the track when he did. He ran modified sports car.

Danny gave me my first pair of slicks, and taught me a lot about racing.

I wish I had a pic of the Healy. I think it is in a museum someplace now.

Someplace I have some pics of his blown flatty 40 ford that he drove in the '50s. Maybe I can dig them up.

Here are a couple of his '40 just like it was when I was born.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  8. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

9. Remember John Smed's Willys?
    I think it was sponsored by House of Hardtops?

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I do not Remember "Hurry Sundown", Notable SS cars I can think of are Bill Ireland's Adios one,two and Three. One being a 61 Ford 2 door sedan, 390 401hp, 38 trophies in 61. Two being a 62 Hardtop 406, and Three a 63 "Lightweight" 427. Bob Tindle's 62 and 63 Plymouths called "The Stompin Savoys". The 63 was an aluminum nose factory racer. It was the first Stocker in Oregon to run 11's. It was tuned by Keith Randoll, the builder of the 'Orange Crate". Jim Kane out of Eugene, Barker Motors. Dick Ladeen 62 Dodge "Big Hoss" held the national record at 12.71. More later

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

John's Willys was piloted by none other than the wild man Jack Frost. Jack had earlier ran a white early corvette "Fields Chevytown", it had a blown smallblock and proudly stated 10,000 rpms on the front fender. I lived 7 miles from the McMinnville strip and you could hear it from there on a Sunday morning! Jack is still around and quite a guy.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, you are stealing my thunder with those lists! I got up this morning and wrote down about 100 names. I feel those lists are a way of cheating. Thanks for the good time, however I must go to work on a Bonneville roadster for another great Oregon racer Jim Lindsay. I will send you a PM and maybe we can Talk.

13. one of the men I will always lookup to and respect was Portland racer Guy Mitchell.Hes the guy that gave me my love of straight axle cars and could make anything go fast,I miss the 70s in Oregon as I was lucky enough to work on a AA/FC run by "Nitro" Nick Harmon.............

14. I think we are from different era's. I was a teen in the mid-late sixties, I first went to Woodburn in 64 or so, the first race I really remember was going to see the touring Hawaiian in 65. As I mentioned, my cousin was marv Buchanan from Scapoose. He ran the Grape Ape Anglia in the 70's, then his bracket Nova. Before his unfortunate passing he was working with Albert Drake on a video of 70's Oregon racing, I don't know whatever became of that. Thanks for all the info, my memories get more fuzzy every year.

15. fireman 55

fireman 55

Thank you everyone with the info on Doc and his car.

16. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I have a bunch of pictures for Woodburn, Balboa, and Madras. Guess I need to get them scanned. I knew Bill Ireland. I was good friends with his son Mike. I went to the Winternationals with the Weavers and their D/A car. Met Ace and Ernie Hall. Ernie was a nice guy. We had a fuel dragster driver in Eugene who went by Snidely Whiplash. The story was he didn't want his folks to know he was racing, so the fake name.
    There was a story about One of the flexy flyer fuel dragsters starting up at Radke's and they couldn't get the clutch to disengage and ran out on the street and was cut in half by a passing car. Anyone know the skinny on that?

oliver westlund likes this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, Marv was a great guy, I miss him. I did not remember him driving the "Goofy Grape" Anglia, however if you were going to PIR in the 70's, you might remember a white fiberglass Jeep with a Boss 302 engine, it was mine and ran 7.30 in the eighth and 11.41 in the quarter. It could be a handful at times, with an 82" wheelbase. You probably saw the lightweight 'T' Altered that Doug Everett shared with his relatives, I built it in 1975, it tipped the scales at 1515 lbs.

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I think the dragster you are talking about was the "Northwind" with ED the Ace behind the wheel. I was told it was out in front of Columbia Racing Engines on Union Ave.

19. My Dad. Mel Depuy[​IMG]

20. Another
    This is the first edition.[​IMG]

21. Fats

Fats

22. Wow...that photo of Sandy and Burnside merge really brought back memories but I really don't Remember Scottys. I was thinking Portland Athletic was in the crotch of the "Y between the two streets...and it looks like the photo was taken from the Tic-Toc parking lot...
    I once raced from that light, down Burnside in my 57 Pontiac...389/muncie 4 speed against a primered 64 GTO..light to light approaching the bridge. I'd beat him every block and finally he hollered over at me and said "Hey, what the hell do you HAVE in that thing?
    I said "Same thing you do but in good tune"....heh heh..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  23. Rocky I don't remember Scotties being there either, but I didn't cruise Portland much until the later '60s. The only Scotties I remember was in Forest Grove.

We still ran from there across the bridge when I was in highschool. A cop got after us once and chased me and this other fella in a '64 Chevelle across the bridge. The other fella stopped for him and I kept right on driving and grinning.

24. It was at Columbia on those east west streets that run under the bridge.
    I tried to find Ed's version online, but couldn't, he's told the story many times. The car wasn't harmed, but the Portland cops were, uh, not thrilled.

25. racer67x

racer67x

that story of "Doc" is cool..thx for posting it.
    kinda makes you feel like if that dude could overcome his disabilities the rest of us should just shut up and not complain.

26. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That pic where sandy and burnside come together is awesome. I wish it still looked like that. I never got to see anything like that growing up, born too late. Now I have to live it through photos. It's really cool to see. Thanks for posting.

27. I didn't go PIR much, I kind of remember the jeep though.
    Here's a funny story Marv told me the last time I saw him. He was at Pomona watching Del Worshams FC get teched, they bounced him because his spoiler was an inch too wide. Marv says to Del, "I'm no expert, but aren't those brackets on backwards. Del looks, tells his guys, they take the spill plates off and put them back on. They pass tech, but the NHRA guy says to Del "Is that thing right?". Dell points to Marv and says " I dunno, talk to this guy, he's our aero consultant".
    Marv became friends with the Worshams and he and Nancy always sat with Del's family at the races.

28. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

That jogged some of my old brain cells. I had forgotten about Columbia Racing Engines. I even had one of their sweatshirts back then:)