Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unrestored Model A Value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jan 17, 2012.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

So I have a lead on a Model A. The guy wants me to make an offer. I only have this pic to make it off of.(long story) Whats a fair price for the car? The car is complete(motor,interior, glass, etc). Hasnt been touched in years. NO PAPERWORK. It was in the barn when the guy bought the place.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Offer a few grand, all he can do is say no. Sedan is not as desireable as a coupe or roadster, but better than a four door.

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Start at $2k and see what he says. Have cash on you though. I almost had my coupe (running an driving) bought at my original offer of $3500 until the guy "talked to a friend" who said it was worth more, and I had to pay more in the end. Having the cash to flash the guy if he says ok would help avoid that.

4. Chemin

Chemin

If it was there when he bought the place he doesn't have any money into it, so to speak. Offer between $1500 and $2000 and see what he says. Worst he can say is "no". He may just want to get rid of it or he may try to make a killing off of it.

5. adamshumard

adamshumard

Managed to get an interior shot.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. adamshumard

adamshumard

He just told me 10k and I said I couldnt even get close to that. He said make an offer. whats this things top value?

7. olskool34

olskool34

2500 is a good price to offer, 10k would be a fair price for a FULLY restored one.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Depends if you're going to rod or restore it.. I assume you're going to rod it being on this board.. If you're going to run fenders and they are in good shape I would say it's worth $3,000 to $5,000 without paper work.. You can sell the parts you don't want.. If all you want is the body and possibly the frame I would say offer less..

9. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

That's a late '30 Tudor. I'd check completed listings on e-bay to get a feel for what the market brings now days, but I'd say about 2k without knowing if the engine turns and without paperwork...

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

If you get it, don't screw it up by making a hot rod out of it. That "A" is a time capsule.

11. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Yeah offer between 1500 and 2000, If its really nice and you like sedans be prepared to offer more. If the guy shoots you down with out thinking about it he probablly has an idea of what he really wants and is playing coy.

12. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

He's dreaming.

...no,

He's smokin' something and dreaming.

That car restored would bring 15k on a good day tops.

If you get it, HOTROD it.

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

$10k? This guys been watching to many Barrett Jackson type programs. Just walk away, if he thinks it's worth that kind of money, hes on another planet. The most I would pay for it would be around $3500, and that's if I really wanted it bad.

You can buy a nice driving, older restoration sedan for $10k

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

There was a coupe on Craigslist around here that was in the same shape and he wanted $10k for it. I watched it repost every day for like 9 months.

15. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

10K if it was running and driving! With no paperwork I wouldn't pay more than $3000.00.

16. He's fuckin crazy, been watching too much Barret Jackson.

17. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Offer 2000 take it or leave it .

18. HA HA read my mind.

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

Gimme a break.

They made a zillion of those things.

Chop that fucker.

Rich

20. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

un-restored stockers tend to be more desirable than full resto jobs. Mine is unrestored. With no paper work, that brings the cost down. If it ran and drove, id say 6k. No paper work, 5k

21. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Man, I got to say 10K is crazy too, that is a 2500.00 car in my opinion. Even for a restorer it needs everything and for a hot rodder, it needs everything and then some.

Scot

22. adamshumard

adamshumard

That, sir, is untrue!!! It was way less. According to the info I looked up they made 546680 30/31 tudor sedans. With ONLY a little over a half million of them made I dont know if its a good idea to cut up.:D:D:D

23. anteek

anteek

Even in car-starved Florida that is a 2k car. Don't buy into his wet dreams.

24. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Yes, no doubt the seller is way off. But do you want it or just trying to make a buck? Realsitically, if you are looking to rebuild, rod it or use it as a garage anchor I think it is "worth" $3500. It would seem you can't buy it for less So I would offer $3K and be prepared to walk away. The pieces are there and while there is a ton of "A" stuff out there your time to accumulate and "restore" is worth something. While the build is fun, it is work and frustrating at times and the real fun is driving them!

25. 51delivery

51delivery

I saw a flyer for a pretty good looking 2 dr sedan last week for 6500.00. You should suggest he get a title for it. Might be less of a problem for him to get since it was abandoned on his property?

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

10 K?..yeah right, make offer from a picture? no papers? dude
    he must be growing something in that barn and smoking it too

27. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

I have a restored 31 sedan that is worth around 15k, so 10 is out of line. 2500 to 3000 should be in the ballpark for that car. I see drivers with paper going for 5 to 7500. Make the offer and let him think about it. Keep looking there are still alot of A's out there. Good Luck

28. adamshumard

adamshumard

He came down to 5k but I don't think we'll find common ground

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

He came down by 50%? He will come down more.

30. greaserjohn

greaserjohn

For me the thing I would keep pushing is the lack of title. Not sure what it is like in KS but here in MN it can be tough. I have walked away from a few cars that were priced right but not cheap enough to be worth the hassle of getting a title.