Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. KK500

KK500

Bryan,
    Was able to measure the grill on Jimmy Vasser's car in the Chevy dealership in Napa California. So was able to produce 3D cad model (pic in next post down).

Got any more info or pics of your car. What are u going to do with it? Does Mal know that u exist....he's trying to get an Open Wheel class to run at CAMS Historics at Winton and Sandown.
    My email:
    [email protected]

Thanks for the offer.
    Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. KK500

KK500

CAE grill 3d model.jpg Pic of grill cad model. Sorry..........no pics of the cast aluminum model but it's about to have a fiberglass mold taken off it for the foundry.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  3. KK500

KK500

Have 3 of the crank snout Hilborn pump drive pulleys for sale. They are machined for SBC and the pulley is blank for machining anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3" diameter.
    Other pics are 1:6 scale model sprint car patterns under development.
    They will be available in cast bronze or cast aluminum. Other pics show the 16 x 10" Halibrand rear wheel to scale. Front is made but not shown @ 15 x 5".

Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. jimg12

jimg12

If anybody knows Lee Kunzmann get him to tell you the story about Charlie Masters trying to tell Lee how to run the hills. It is funny, but he learned and was one hell of a driver. Lee told me the srory when he got inducted into the Sprintcar Hall of Fame. As for you that do not know Charlie was as good as anybody on the Hills, also Sonny Atesand they were two of my best friends. They used to scare me to death when they ran against each other on the hills.
    Jim Graybeal

5. designs that work

designs that work

.KK500 If I can get the picture to post, I made a steel grill insert very similar to your model. Cars is a cage super, not suitable for this thread.

Attached Files:

6. KK500

KK500

From your avatar, there's a lot of "makin" goin on down there.
    Nice.
    Jim

7. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Such a sham,e the loss of a 24 year old life, especially at the hands of one the south of the bordern rats!
    R.I.P Donnie Ray Crawford.

8. racer5c

racer5c

Spike, it was his grandfather that killed him

9. I sit here in amazement of your guy’s knowledge of the history in your part of the country. Us West Coasters seem to have lost a lot of that.
    Again I am asking for help identifying another vintage car that was said to have come from the east of Texas and beyond. Does anyone have any insight to this 50’s Sprint car. The chassis is just like a Kurits Midget parallel bars on the rear cross spring up front Body is aluminum. Unfortunately it got the engine changed out to a SBC .<O:p></O:p>
    All I have is the last owner was out of El Paso Texas.<O:p></O:p>
    Thanks for any help!<O:p></O:p>

Attached Files:

10. Ron67

Ron67

KK500, Would you have any more details/pics of your 1/6 sprinter efforts? Looks to be a bit labor intensive, eh?

11. easter

easter

The car looks a lot older than that roll bar. I love the shape of the front axle. Why don't you let me borrow the car for awhile - I'll tell everybody it's yours. Honest.

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I think the shape of the front axle got carried into the shape and angle of the drag link. Must of been an artist who built it...lol

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Is that a custom built front axle or is it from a 37 or 38 Ford?

14. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

That pretty front axle is from an early plymouth or dodge. I gave it to a gent who needed one to complete his early sprint.

15. Easter,
    No doubt that roll bar came later in the cars life. If it were mine it would come off. The rest of the Car is very early. Halibrand drum brakes on the rear and a V8 center section.
    You don’t need to borrow it. It could be yours. The Owner wants to sell it but thought it would be worth knowing more of the history of the car. It defiantly has some identifiable trademarks.
    I hope someone recognizes it.

Of course the builder was a artist! That’s what they were back then …

16. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Woodland's midget roadster is moving right along, body is in paint now.

Attached Files:

17. Steve, that is looking so good.......please keep us posted

18. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Yea, i know it Roy. I was referring to his last name. Maybe that Latino temper, and too much booze?
    Gotta have some real bad genes to kill your Grandson.

19. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Or be elderly with a history of violence and mental illness. I'm wondering why they kept a gun in the house with somebody that volatile.

20. The one thing that has been driving me mad with my little project ,is the number of 'plastic' parts on the motor.I have tried to resolve this by making a new thermostat housig and breather plate in aluminium.After a Kellogs Corn Flake box template was made,it was off to the shop to get it machined......they think I am mad......but after I showed them a photo of a Offy,I think they sort of got it.....hope you guys know where I'am coming from....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Can't anyone help this guy? Gary

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yes! I have NO pictures of me in the 122 Milton Miller! I ran it only a few times, THANKS!

J SHaw

23. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Hey Josh...when you are driving that Milton Miller in Blatz's picture, you are supposed to be looking up track not at the photog...blow it up and check your eyeballs...lol

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  24. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

It's sort of winter in Minnesota and I'm going through old stuff. In the July '83 issue of Four Banger, (the last) there is a short letter from a George Lowe, Torrance, CA with a static picture of his recent restoration of what appears to be a no headrest, very nice early post war big car, DO Hal powered #9 at Indian Dunes "for its maiden voyage".

He mentions he has a Norden duplex steering gear in the car, which means there are pitman arms and drag links and steering arms on both sides of the car and no tie rod.

Since my midget has an F. Davis Engineering version of the same, and I know Schroeder built a few, I am soliciting a dialogue from HAMBers of any knowledge in general, anyone has as to the why and wherefore of this design.

I know the Golden Submarine had it and there is a HAMB thread [​IMG] [​IMG] Anybody know how the steering works on the Miller Golden Sub? I have seen it on the DeMateo midget at the Justice Brothers Museum and that is an Independent Suspension so that would explain that and I think the Novis had it probably due to the Front Wheel Drive.

25. Josh
    I have a few, what size do you need 16x20-Blatz

Attached Files:

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

WOW! Yes.. Please E-mail them to [email protected] We can print them out BIG here at Zakira's.

I have a few shots of me in it testing and tuning when it was NOT finished. But I had none, when it was done, painted, and at speed!

Thanks!

J Shaw

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Ha! yeah, That seems to happen a lot in racing pictures. Not jsut me, but a lot of drivers. I look through Open Wheels and see it a lot. I can remeber when I was racing full time (I'm sure others can agree) you'd be running FULL-TILT and catch yourself glance at a Photographer just as he clicks the flash. I would think in my head, "That was a good one".

Probably has something to do with the photographer leans out over the railing to take the pic and the drivers brain picks up an "Object" that wasn't there split second ago or even a lap ago.. ;)

J Shaw

28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I think that is it. I know when I'm running my drag car I'm focused enough that I don't know if there are seven fans or seven thousand fans in the stands but when a photog leans over the wall to catch my burnout I see him. I even nod to the ones I know.

29. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Good Morning Gents,
    Given the interest in Josh's fantastic job on the Miller out of the Zakira's garage lately and the fact that somebody asked recently for more stories, I thought this might be of interest.
    If it is ,I can post some more photos and fill in the story
    Cheers Greg

Attached Files:

30. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

cincy car show was great. just a comment on dayton speedway. it was dangerous and you did not want to go off the back chute. saw the last usac show there.