Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 F100 Engine Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, May 31, 2009.

1. Nah, he's painting the whole engine BLUE!!

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well tranny and engine mounts made now.

I off set the tranny tube member so I would have room to attach the speedo cable which at one point before making the mount looked like the tube would block access to the attachment point on the tranny.

Time to pull the engine out now and finish the engine bay and fit up the power steering pump, a/c and alternator brackets.

Just trying to figure out what color to paint the engine???

Attached Files:

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Why, Chevy orange, of course!Lol!
    Or, you could paint it Chevy Blue.

Seriously, though, I always like it when the engine matches the vehicle. So in this case, maybe red would work.JMHO

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

In the meantime, I have decided to box the chassis in the parts not done when installing the new IFS.

I plan to use 1/8" plate and will box back to the front leaf spring pads for now.
    I figure that the rear wiring harness plus fuel and brake lines look a little untidy and having the chassis as an open "C" channel it picks up all the road muck, boxing will give me a fresh start at tidying it all up under there.

I will drill and tap the boxing plate to remount all my lines.

In addition I will install new brake booster/master cylinder and a bearing at the end of the old steering column to keep it looking original inside.

I am still trying to figure out how to keep the horn in the center of the steering wheel. I got a plan but not sure if it will work out yet.

Any way here is the bearing carrier I plan to install at the end of the column.

Attached Files:

5. I must say, Russ, I like that bearing setup for your column. Is that a ready-made piece or something you whipped up?

6. The SBC engine fits almost anything without too many mods. My buddy slapped a 383 MoPar into his 60 shortbox with a volare [Gibbon kit] front end. You'd think it would all fit together because it's all mopar, right? WRONG! We had to fuck around with left exhaust manifold/power steering box/crossmember placement. After cutting and welding, Grinding and nudging we got it all to fit with 1/8th inch clearance but it works!
    Don't even ask about alternator/ac/PS bracketry and pulleys. That was another full week of chasing parts and making brackets.

Attached Files:

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Home made piece, I designed it and a buddy machined it for me.
    Maybe I will disassemble it and post it with all the components layed out.

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I hear ya on that stuff.
    I wasted all my time setting up the Cleveland with pulleys and a/c power steering etc before switching to the chev engine and now I got to do it all over.

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Boxing plates cut and tacked into place.
    I have boxed from the radiator crossmember back just in front of the front leaf spring bolt on points.

Sure looks real tidy under there now.
    I got a welding guy much smaller than me coming over to squeeze under there and mig it top and bottom.

I struck a problem where the short park brake cable comes thru the chassis right up front.
    I heated and shaped the boxing to a half circle almost to scoot around the pre-existing arranges which I did not feel like modifying this time round.

Plus I welded up all the non-used holes that seem to be every where in this chassis, should help to keep inside the boxing a lot dryer.

If ever I do a body and box build in the future, at least most of the chassis work will be well advanced

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  10. studebaker46

studebaker46

now all you nonbelievers know why sbc is the engine of choice for rodders. almost like the chevy gods planned it that way. look up the build stories on doane spencers dream truck. which is believed to be the first sbc swap nov 1954 tom

11. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

You omitted one important fact, The Dream Truck was a CHEVY!!

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Blah, blah, blah, technical stuff- you know I hate It!LOL!

Lets hear more about the engine color!

I'd like to see the specifics on that bearing carrier:D

13. johnboy13

johnboy13

I have had no fitment issues with either the tired old 302 I put in my '57 F100, or the 351W that's in its place now. Both engines dropped right in like it was meant to be. So, actually, no, I still have no idea why you would want to go with a SBC, unless it was original.

14. Does your '57 still have the beam axle? I imagine anything would be easy with that setup. Please note that the truck in question has IFS welded in place. That changes everthing!

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yes Redsled the IFS install really did reduce my final engine options in the end.
    I could have made the Cleveland engine fit, but it meant too much cutting and fitting.
    Whereas it was obvious having the luxury of owning both brands of engine that the Chevy was made for this project at least.

They are both good engines in my book, just I had no choice in the matter that I was raised with Fords, but have no bias either way.

16. johnboy13

johnboy13

I guess I should have made myself a little clearer. My comment was aimed at studebaker46. Yes, I am using the stock axle. I did see that yours has the ifs in, but my point was meant for the other guy, though you still had to cut up the oil pan to make it fit. If a cut up rear sump SBC pan fit, then I'm sure a cut up SBF pan would have fit with the same amount of work. You didn't have a SBF to try, you had a Cleveland engine and a SBC. I'm not knocking using what you have, in this case a SBC. If you had the SBF sitting around with a rear sump pan on it, you probably would have tried it. SBC's are great engines, I just get tired of the whole "The SBC is the only engine in the world!" mentality. If that makes me a "nonbeliever", then I will always be a "nonbeliever". Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread. It looks like a great start.

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

No problems with your comments, it is an engine swap thread and other relevant points of view are welcome by me.
    I would hope stuff like this will remain an historical document that may help some other guys out in the future.

The only Chevy style pickup I have owned was a 1967 GMC C15 and if ran a 327 and then I changed it out to a 350 and I was very impressed with the trucks performance and comfort of ride.
    Just was not reliable.

However if we are sticking to the earlier stuff I had 1961 F100 with an old Y block and 3 speed plus granny tranny and it will remain as the best basic truck I have ever owned, but apperance wise it looked like junk .

18. teddyp

teddyp

glad that the sbc is working out a real hot rodder put a engine in that works best and thats a chevy in a ford a ford in a chevy tired of of the real boreing people that cry you have to put the same make in the same make

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Least line of resistance works for me.
    Prefer to save time and money if possible.
    Attached is a pic of what is receiving the transplant.

Attached Files:

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just an update of progress on my f100 project.
    The engine did finally get painted red and not Ford blue as first anticipated.

Engine bay has been repainted as well which improved the overall appearance.

Shaved and boxed the original bell housing cross member to help clear the T700 tranny installed.
    Wanted to keep that for extra rigidity.

Attached Files:

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

In my spare time I also rebuilt the rear end going from 3.89:1 to 3.56:1 gears and bigger rear brakes just cos I could.
    The full deal with new bearings and shock absorbers etc.
    Boy I hate undoing old "U" bolt nuts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  22. jinxd

jinxd
    from ohio

Turned out really nice. I too have considered the SBC. I thought I had a deal for a 460 but, he backed out. I have also considered putting the original 292 back in. I just want it done.

23. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I got a lot of time for the Y block engines, good torque and although they had problems, they are all identifiable nowadays so they can be addressed easily enough.
    Probably an under valued engine choice in some quarters.
    I just chose the the easiest way to get a simple fit and an O/D tranny.
    Not trying to win any competions here.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

When installing my new brake booster and master cylinder I decided I did not like the way it protruded into the engine bay, so I decided to since I was now running an auto tranny to move the brake booster and master cylinder into the old clutch location on the firewall and join the clutch and brake pedals together which is idea given to me from another HAMB member several years back.
    This move gets the brake stuff closer to the fender side and opens up the engine bay and by joining the 2 pedals provides that large brake pedal area allowing braking with either foot.

Attached Files:

25. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

your truck is looking good.build it with what ever works for you! i put a 429 in my 57 because i got a 69 marquis with 38000 miles for 500 bucks so i used the front clip also

Attached Files:

26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The next thing I did was to install a/c just to add a little comfort on those hot days.
    I know some folks dont accept a/c in these kind of project but that is the way it going to be this time, at least I have a heater for the cold days as well.
    Any way, I decided to try and stay period correct and chose an early Mustang under dash unit for the purpose.
    As you can see it worked out fairly well.
    Got me an after market pair of thermo fans and a thru the firewall a/c adapter gizmoe and late model rotary compressor.
    Not the prettiest of installs but it does work great.

Attached Files:

27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I decided to modify my front seat since the original which looked great was just past its use by date comfort wise.
    The foam had lost its elasticity and was crumbling especially where the sun came in on it thru the rear window.

The drivers side base was also shot springs and foam wise so it was either a rebuild or a swapout.
    I chose a swap out.

Just by chance I found this rear seat from some kind of van/SUV and decided to take a chance on it since the price was right.
    After taking a few check measurements it looked like it would work with few adjustments and I got seat belts, headrests, plus a slim line back which helps with the legroom issues in these pickups.

Fortunately this seat tilted and was hinged so I figured it may provide me with the opportunity to have good access under my seat for storage of stuff like my tools and jack and since I was using a SBC engine I'd probably need a tow rope at some stage in the future.

I built up an enclosed seat riser using the original seat mounting points and transfered the hinged stuff onto it.
    I decided to remove all but the center seatbelt bolt on points and transfer them to the floor as per what was already installed in my F100 by a dealer at sometime previous.

Attached Files:

28. dixiedog

dixiedog

Very cool idea on the seat bracket, I like how it works flipping the seat up. Do you have any pics of the outside with the new suspension?

29. sunbeam

sunbeam

There allot of people making rear sump pans for a fox body cleveland swap.

30. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here are a couple of pic's of the Industrial Chassis Inc Dakota kit I used. It is a great kit and simple to install and setup.
    I take my hat off to Steve from Industrial Chassis Inc for such a great innovation.

I am having some tranny work done so I have not driven it heaps yet but is sure drives nice in my book.
    I used the V8 version coils and also used the stock swaybar up front.

The power steering is good, just takes a little getting used to after the old Ford manual steering box.

Attached Files: