Register now to get rid of these ads!

So its snowing here, I built this. Now what do I do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Internet, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Internet

Internet

had a slightly tweaked model a front axle assembly, some spare time and a bunch of scrap steel. I have a large rose bud, any tips before I give it a shot?

[​IMG]

2. badshifter

badshifter

I'm not sure how it's gonna stop the snow, but it's worth a try!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you are either going to end up with something you can brag about or with something that you sneak off to the scrapper or maybe a wall hanger that with a few steel pegs will hold your welding helmet and face shield.
    have at it and lets see what happens.

4. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

A 6 pack of beer...

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

How are you gonna control the kingpin to wishbone boss angle?

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have no idea what you're trying to make.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dropped axles Fred... keep up!!! :D

8. Internet

Internet

the slide at the other end has another bolt that goes into the other perch, which should control the angle of the perch being pressed and stop the axle from narrowing.

i dont plan on selling them, just waiting for parts for my build and thought id give it a shot. only into it for 2 hours here.

9. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

Make sure you have a grip of heat dissipating gel/paste, something to keep the heat off the spring and spindle mount holes. If those get too hot, they have a chance of distorting, which will bum you out when you put it under a car. Make sure the axle gets a good cleaning first. It'll take heat easier/better if it's clean.

That's a great looking jig, though. Can't wait to see it in action! My pops has dropped several axles in a homemade setup like that. He always kept the drop to 3 1/2-4" so it didn't 'turn into taffy'.

I should have taken better notes when I was young... :)

10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

keep us updated with pics

11. Internet

Internet

i dont even own a camera, room mate does. he stopped by the shop and took it, just finished one side. i think ill do the other tonight. pics tommorow.

12. rogmoseley

rogmoseley

I took the plunge and dropped my own, ruined the first one, but could probably still salvage it. Biggest problem I had was the camber went out, negative, wheels in at the top. Made a few alterations on my jig and got it right on the second one, 3 1/2" drop. Take your time, and the far end needs to be able to move laterally, but not twist. At least A axles are still cheap. Picked up 2 at different times for 15 and 20$.

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd like to see how this turns out. Keep on going and dammit man, buy a camera! :D

14. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

Good looking jig! Cant wait to see how it turns out.

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's what I was wondering... doesn't look like you could keep the camber correct??

16. Internet

Internet

i see what you guys mean on the camber issue. the king pin is not a press or a loose fit, call it a "tap" fit. with the wishbone perch holes at the same height at the start of the heat and with them at the same at the end of the press, and the king pin in a fixed location. i cant really see it not being correct.

rogmoseley, what did you do to correct the camber issues? and what caused it?

my only problem thus far, the hollow king pin must of bent, or swelled because it just doesnt want to come out of the axle. going to make one up in the lathe to do the other side.

im just having fun at this point, the axle was junk to start with. it had about a 15 degree bend almost in the middle from an accident. That pretty painted up '46 axle behind the jig is going into my car.

on a side note, its running 54 f100 spindles and brakes, i reamed the axle to the f100 king pin size and used the f100 king pins. The keeper holes were the same size and location for the stock f100 king pin. with my spring behind and spring perch pointed up not down i can use the original '54 lower steering arms directly under the spring with about 2" of clearance with the shackles at ride height. just use an upper hoop style to meet my drag link from my cowl steering . should look pretty tidy.

17. You need some sort of device to gauge how much drop you get so you can repeat it on the other side. Maybe it's there and I just can't see it?

18. skoh73

skoh73

If I'm not mistaken, the latest issue of Hot Rod Deluxe has a "how to" on this very subject. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

19. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The January 2012 issue of Hot Rod Deluxe has an article on page 78, called Drop Zone. I shows Jason from Bear Metal Customs, in Morro Bay Ca, dropping a Ford axle. It shows the whole process.

20. Cruiser

Cruiser

Seems you need some engineering help with your invention, here's a group from the engineering school of Montana Technical Institute that can help ease the pain. :D

CRUISER :cool:

[​IMG]

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I applaud your effort and hope it works out for you. One observation I have is that I think you would have been better served if the I beam you are using as a base were rotated ninety degrees and you utilized the web in the vertical plane and had attached the fittings to the flange. Perhaps the square tube at the anchor end could be heavier wall.

Regards,
    Ray

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

What Hn said^ x2.

I don't see how you're going to control the perch pin and kingpin angles during the bend.

23. Energy

Energy

Great! Now I have to try and get a Pell grant to montana technical institute! :rolleyes:

24. Built mine

Built mine

Excellant point, With a score of 66% on structural steel nomemclature. That is a wide flange beam, Not an I beam.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I knew that! :D

Actually, I thought it was an "H"beam but didn't bother to change it after I typed it. Is a wide flange beam aka "H"beam? :confused:

Ray

26. Internet

Internet

excellent points, i already know what to change if i do decide to drop an axle to be used. but heres the axle as it sits 4" over stock

[​IMG]

27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Congratulations ! Nothing succeds like success..............looks like it works great.

Ray

28. mickeyc

mickeyc

I think it would help to make a template from the good side of the axle and use it gauge you final profile of the bent side for accuracy.

29. F&J

F&J

You said you thought the hollow king pin bent? That's the kind of tiny movements out at the ends, that make for incorrect camber.

It looks like the heat went way over to the perch and king bores... have you checked to see if they are still round?

A axles look cool IMO, with a drop. Keep practicing :)

30. Internet

Internet

i got it apart now, the king pin did not bend just grabbed real hard, few whacks with a hammer today and it came out. no ovalizing of holes and it all looks super symetrical.

definately going to get hung on the wall with a bunged up '31 grill i have here.