Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 ford build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ssk875, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ssk875

ssk875
    BANNED
    from Buffalo

Bought this on ebay thinking it was ina little better shape but a year later its really starting to take shape. Lobecks frame, narrowed 9 inch, strange engineering center section with detroit locker and 3.60 gears. Mustang 2 front suspension, tubular stainless control arms, 2 inch drop spindles, drilled and slotted rotors and power rack and pinion steering. Finally got the body on the frame and getting ready to finish the sheet metal and then put the engine and trans in to build the floors.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Very nice work. You must really want a '40!!

3. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

Holy cow! You do nice work! I am working on a '39 std. Are you running coils up front?

4. ssk875

ssk875
    BANNED
    from Buffalo

Yea I have a 392 hemi and was told the weight would be pushing coil overs to the limit so decided to be safe with the coil springs

5. Wow I thought i had a lot of work to do. Are you making your own floors? who are you using for sheet metal? I'm going to put a 54 331 Hemi in mine.

6. ssk875

ssk875
    BANNED
    from Buffalo

Bob drake has the best quality but youll pay for it. I got the doors from california off ebay and so far the trunk floor is ems. Im gonna wait to put the motor and trans in to figure out what to do about the floors.

7. 4tford

4tford

I put a 392 in my 40 with turbo 400 fit real nice. I used the set back firewall which has plenty of room for clearences. I had to put pockets in the inner fender panels to provide clearence for the valve covers.

Attached Files:

8. You are really having to do everything - very nice work. Being a 40 owner and lover myself, I'm a little biased - will yours be std or delux?

Attached Files:

9. ssk875......great job so far!! You must have lots of patience..... I started out with a 40K mile car that was near perfect....the easy way out.

Attached Files:

10. nutbush

nutbush
    from Texas

It might sound like I am biased having a 39 and have built a 40 std, but I honestly think they have one of the finest lines ever produced. I have never heard anyone say they didnt like the lines of a 39-40 Ford.

11. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Great project and awesome work! I have a 40 and am going to be putting a 354 Hemi in mine real soon. Now I just have to come up with all the parts and money! LOL