Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to buy a 1962 Cadillac DeVille transmission filter???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garagedoreen, Jan 25, 2009.

1. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

So I just bought a 1962 Cadillac Couple Deville complete and im doing a once over on the whole motor and trans. Changing the fluids, filter, ignition parts and so on. So what happen was that I pulled off the transmission pan to change the filter. I had bought a transmission filter from the part store and it did not match. so I returned it. And I went everywhere to find a match. couldnt find shit. I went to AutoZone, Pepboys, Kragens, Bumper to Bumper, Napa and some other local autoparts store and they all didnt have one. And the one they did give me was the wrong one. The one that they gave me was for a 67 or something. I think they have the wrong part number or something. I searched the web and couldnt find anything either. Anybody have any idea where I can get one?? I have a 1962 Cadillac Couple Deville 390 engine with a 4 speed hydromatic transmission..

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Squablow

Squablow

Does that even have a filter on the tranny? I think that has the slim-jim tranny, like my '64 Olds 98, and it might have a screen on the pickup but I don't think it has a replaceable filter on it. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that's why you're having a hard time finding one. The parts houses are probably giving you a TH400 filter by default.

If you're not used to driving that car, it'll feel like the tranny is slipping. At a dead stop you can take your foot off the brake and not go forward, takes a little throttle to get moving, and the shifts are very soft. I thought my Olds trans was shot the first time I drove it, but apparently that's just the way they are.

I also remember someone telling me they are controlled by vacuum so if you have your idle set high or if you have carb problems you'll feel it in the trans.

3. Flop

Flop

we rebuilt my buddies and couldnt find a new filter we cleaned the hell out of what was there

they are controlled by a tv rod squawblow ..if thats outa whack you will have bad shifts and a feeling of slipping

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. Squablow

Squablow

Or, I could be totally wrong. It's a possibility.

Anyways, what is a TV rod? How does that work?

7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Those old jetaway transmissions had a linkage rod that attached to the throttle linkage, it controlled when and how smoothly the transmission would shift gears. The adjustment was pretty sensitive, get it wrong and the tranny wouldn't shift very well at all.

8. r8odecay

r8odecay

I"ve had on that had a stuck check valve or something too, wouldn't shift out of first,.. did a reverse slam and cleared it up. Your results may vary.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

TV means throttle valve, and in your case has the TV rod from carb to transmission. Normally this is adjusted for the TV lever (where rod is connected at trans) to be at the farthest rear position at idle and at farthest forward (toward engine) when wide open throttle. If this is not adjusted correctly shifts will be wrong and the transmission will slip.

You have a Dual Coupling hydramatic (known as Jetaway by Olds, Stratoflight by Pontiac, and Superhydramatic by Cad). You do not have a Slim Jim, never used on Cadillacs.

Go with Squirrel's link for the filter. Really dissappointed that Rockauto has the wrong filter listed, they are usually pretty good at accuracy.

10. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

Thanks for all the reply

yeah, i checked out that link. Ill give them a call and see if they have it in stock. but wow. 65 dollors for a trans filter kit! thats alot. Ive only remembered paying 15 to 20 bucks for a kit before. I guess its because this trans is so old i guess. but yeah I guess i cant be complaining. At least somebody has it. and I probibly spent like 50 bucks in gas driving around all the local autoparts store already.

Yeah, i need to adjust my TV rod too. so what is it again.... idel the TV rod should be all the way to the rear and full with full throttle the TV should be pulled all the way to the front?? what is its "normal" position on the transmission??

11. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

does anybody know what whats the model code for that transmission? Or does any body make a high performance upgrade for the filter pickup?

thanks again.

12. roughneck424

roughneck424

google USA PARTS they have a good supply of OLD Cad stuff, Buick & Olds also

13. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

14. squirrel

squirrel

that's a Chrysler filter.

15. Don't you have a NAPA store by you!
    they usually have a lot of Parts for Older Cars or a Trans Shop mite have one

16. Cirilian

Cirilian

He said he went to NAPA in his original post???

17. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

yeah, i think all these online parts store and auto part store data base has it all wrong. I think they all have the turbo 400 transmission filter for the pre-62 Cadillacs or that Chrysler filter.

I got the phone number to Fram. so ill give them a call tomorrow when they are open and go from there.

Fram and WIX online dont have a part number for them. and I searched everywhere online.

Its funny.. Im sure Im not the only guy in the world thats building an old 60s caddy, I cant believe i cant find any info or part for this thing. I was thinking this is a pretty common car. but i guess not.

the search goes on!!!!!!

18. Pompadork

Pompadork

There is no filter. its a screen. autotrans.us has them, but they are not cheap. Welcome to the world of cadillac.

19. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

ohh man... thanks....

Thanks for the link. Ill give them a call...

20. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You read it correctly, this TV rod tracks the throttle linkage and adjusts the transmission according to throttle opening. Idle= all the way back, WOT= all the way forward (toward engine). No so called normal positions, all it should do is move freely as the throttle is opened and closed.

21. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

awesome thanks.

I found the filter and gasket. I found it an a trans shop in Glendale. They had it. 65 bucks for the filter and 10 bucks for the gasket.. man... thats alot because it is about15 bucks total for almost anyother car... but i guess its done now.

Thanks again.

22. flyingfreeman

flyingfreeman

Check Fatsco Transmission in NJ. They are awesome!!
    They have other parts like the Detent Spring (holds the gear shift selector in the proper position) which I had break on my 61 Cadillac 4 speed overdrive transmission.

http://www.fatsco.com/

23. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

hey man i'm from LA too here near glendale in the Los Feliz area. Do u know the name of the trans shop in Glendale? I'm also trying to find the filter for the transmission.. My car was stored for 10 years and barely got it running. took it to the mechanic to go get fixed for points and all of a sudden my tranny was out. i was so pissed i took my car back to my house. it's not doing anything. it just slips.. wondering if lowering the pan and draining out tranmission oil and putting back the filter and gasket would make it run again. thanx

24. Cirilian

Cirilian

It's always a good idea to replace the filter after they've been sitting but before you do that make sure it has enough fluid in it.