Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Wow what a ride, I've been following this fom the start, and what a finish! It must be real kool to have been able to work with your family like that!

2. Time to put some serious mileage on it this year as well as some quarter miles!

Time to beat is an 11.70 @ 123mph!!!

Goin to need some slicks for better times!

3. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks a ton man, that really means a ton. You got it backwards though. It is Your stuff that I really admire. I wish I had the patience & skills to build a custom......

Thanks gn! Man, I wish I could make that show, I work every Sunday:( My dad & brother have gone there for some of the shows, & they usually have a decent turnout though. The guy has an amazing collection of muscle cars at his museum. Lots of rare stuff there, plenty to look at for sure.

Let me know if any cool events come up though. I am at least off on Saturdays, so that can usually work

No problem Pete, I didn't even know you were there:p

That is the truth, I have been grinning all day today. I still haven't realized that it's drivable again honestly

Actually not too bad during the day-in the low 70's. Cooler at night though, around 40

You & me both Bob! I am really glad I did the firewall in white, it is silly but it's one of my favorite things. How's your roadster coming lately Bob? I need to catch up on your progress. Happy New Year Bob.

I am ready for that bud. I am really looking forward to some seat time hasty

What's going on man?? Thank you for the nice words, I am so relieved to have it running. Just some little things to mess with now. I am really looking forward to Billetproof, it's not that far away!

Claymore, thanks man. I love the idle, really makes me smile. It has been great to do all this with pops for sure, can't be beat. I think he is as happy (& relieved) as I am. Now we can get some driving time in with our cars together, can't wait for that

You know it Steve. With some luck you WILL get a ride this year. Yeah, i know that you have heard that a time or ten:p

No doubt, having family included is that best part. Sure, it's cool to end up with the car out of the deal, but real cool to spend that time with the family doing this together. I am anxious to get my dad back to working on his projects finally, he is overdue thanks to me. I look forward to paying him back for all of his time

Sounds perfect to me. 11.70 is cooking! Slicks would definitely help, the 7.50's don't hook up so good:eek: Kinda have to granny launch. Shocking, with the massive 4" wide contact patch haha

4. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Someone already said it, but I'll repeat...PERFECT!!!

Awesome job, Dan!!:cool:

5. That is awesome Dan!! So happy you were able to get it back together and super cool you get to share it with your Dad!! Congrats.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome!!!! Great to see things back up and running!!! Looks great!

7. BenDaPirate

BenDaPirate

8. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks a ton for the nice comments guys, really I appreciate. I so look forward to the weekend & driving it, can't wait.

Dave, the cam is 490 lift, and idle is set @ about 900 rpm. The idle makes me smile everytime-like this::D

My only upcoming project is building headers. For my birthday, my dad & brother bought me cones & u-bends from Matt @ Gear Drive Speed & Custom (lakeheaders.com).

I have had the headers on the car now for a long time. I honestly didn't buy them for this car specifically, but since I owned them I used them. They sound amazing, but looks-wise aren't what I want long term on this car.

So, soon I will get the lakes headers built, I think they will suit the look of the car lots better.

And, honestly, I can point the lakes headers down a bit, because the current headers point @ your face, & are LOUD as h*ll driving. Ears are seriously ringing after 15 minutes. I'm sorry, what did you say:p

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Looks and sounds Fantastic Dan! Thanks for the ride!

10. Are you going to add a down tube from the collector on those headers for a full lake pipe system or are you going to run new headers straight to the Lake Pipes?

11. Murch

Murch

Truck is badass, lookin' great, hope to have something similar someday!

Murch.

12. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

You had me at a BRIEF MOMENT! :) That video is too fun to watch.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dan,
    I haven't been paying very close attention to the Billetproof threads for Garlits this weekend, so if you have already mentioned bringing up your rod, please tell us you again will be there! Gary

14. What year rear end did you use ? And what is the wheel pattern 5 on 5 1/2.

Thanks
    Frenchy

15. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well I ended up just building my own lake headers, & skipped the lake pipes idea. I got the cones & tubing from Gear Drive.

Didn't take a whole lotta pics when I built them, but here's a few while I was building them, & one after they were done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really think they fit the look of the car way better than the Sandersons I had on there. They sound nice to me, but even with the baffles in they are freaking loud:p

Frenchy,
    The rear end is a new ford 9" housing that Autoweld made up to my width. The wheels are early 40'ish ford, so they are 5 on 5 1/2. I had Moser drill the axles to that bolt pattern

Gary,
    It was great to meet you in person finally @ BP. I really am sorry that I didn't get more time to talk with you there Gary.

16. That's one badass ride Dan..

17. Looks great Dan!! Headers are a perfect fit on your truck.

18. Thank You for the heads up on the rear end.

Frenchy

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looking mighty fine Dan.... mighty fine.

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

This is my favorite build on the Hamb. It's been over a year since we got any updates. Dan, you still out there???

21. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Love that truck!

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just thinking about DodgeRodder over the weekend and the thought was, "Hmmm... We haven't heard from him in awhile. He DOES like a good build challenge. Wonder if he's turning that RPU back into a Fordor?" :D:D

23. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

It's been a while.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'll have to tell Dan his friends on here are asking about him. He hasn't forsaken the HAMB but he has been knee deep in working and playing in the band and usually comes home and crashes.

His rpu is pretty much the same except he added 2 x4's instead of the tripower setup. He wanted a little more old timey look to the car so the trips are stored for some other project some day.

He has been building a tubbed Fox Mustang that is going to be a street/drag car, so he really hasn't had anything he can post on here picturewise. He has been driving his rpu a lot, we just had our cars out again last night to go to dinner.

I will let him know he needs to stop in and say hi. You guys were very supportive and helpful during his long build and I know he appreciated all of that. Here is a picture of how his car looks now..........pretty much the same, but with a lot more miles on it. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  25. Thanks for the update Don good to hear Dan is keeping busy!

26. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

27. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks for the update,

kidcampbell71 and carl.p like this.
  28. Stellar then. Stellar now. One of the best builds ever. Behold !!!

The37Kid likes this.