Register now to get rid of these ads!

picking a chassis for our 30 a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by welded78, Jan 14, 2012.

1. welded78

welded78
    from ct

Hi im looking for some advice on chosing a chassis for our model a coupe i am going to be running a 425 nailhead and sp400 . I want this car to be as nostalgic and simple as possible . i have located a compleat 46 ford frame and axles it will come with a flathead and tranny as well would this frame and axles be helpfull ? thanks for any advice . Im very open to all thought about how to set up the chassis .

2. Noland

Noland

use a 32 ford frame thats my advise. A 46 frame is way too big for a model a

3. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

will you be running fenders?

4. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

YUP like Noland says 32 frame or a nice simple 28 to 31 OOOORRR scratch build one (; this site is chuck full of people's pix and brain power

5. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

46 will have a good axel to drop and the wishbones could be spilt

6. Ghost, can I get full size of that avitar pic. High resolution too ! Lol

There's at least one thread on here that is nothing but pics of Model As on A frames. Lots to look at and if I had to pick , my personal fave it would be 5wdcoupehunter's

There's at least one that is nothing but Model As on 32 frames.
    There's not much you could easily use off that 46, if its cheap you could trade or sell off parts.

Depends on what style car you want,

7. R Pope

R Pope

A '46 front axle isn't the best one to split the 'bones on, the tires will rub the axle on a hard turn. Find an "A" axle, or a '32, and use the '46 spindles and brakes.

8. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Yeah R Pope is right on the bones but axel should still work (I think) or model A/32 axel with 46 spindels and brakes

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

We've done 3 Brookville A model frames and the work perfect (with fenders). Fenderless.... I'd definitely go with a '32 frame. They look so PERFECT.

10. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend did a lot of research on a 32/Model A frame. He bought a JW ROD GARAGE frame. Price, quality & design is excelent (flat top for body fit). Picked up at Vt. show to save shipping.

11. My son put a Rod Factory frame under his '31 A about 18 years ago......no problems with it......everything bolted together well.......

Attached Files:

12. welded78

welded78
    from ct

thanks for the advice im thinking no fenders and my tax return will get me the 32 rails so i need to pick axels id like this car to be as simple as posible the 46 i found has stering front and rear can i use that rear or will it break easy with the 425 thanks for the advice again.

13. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

Id maybe try the Pete and Jakes. Bought a few 32 frames I think you get what you pay for............

14. You will break the rear with that big motor. the only thing I would keep from that 46 frame is the brakes and spindles. While it will all work. some parts work better together than others.

15. This is correct about what axle to use, but I know he meant to say the tires will rub on the bones or hair-pins during a sharpe turn. If the tires rub on the axle, you have a real problem here and need to call a wrecker and not the HAMB, ;) TR