Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thank you, hamb longroofers!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Well, it's happening. People are now telling me they're recieving books they ordered online and I see that Borders is stocking it now. I'll have to swing by Barnes & Noble tomorrow and see if they have it.

This Tuesday, I was invited to speak at an elementary school in a nearby small town. Their 4th grade class was set up as a little publishing company, learning about the process. It was very humbling: One 11 year old girl wrote her first book at 5! She gave me some good tips. Some of the boys knew what hot rods were, but were baffled by the concept of building one from scratch: "No, you just bolt the parts on - I've seen it on TV. You don't have to take it all apart". It was a real reality slap! But I had the book on an overhead projector and every time I'd turn the page, they'd let out a big "Whoa!" or "Cool!", so that was reassuring.

Anyway, please report your two cents on the book. I need to know what I screwed up and what I could do better next time.
    Thanks guys,
    Scotty

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got mine today Scotty. Looks great! I'll PM you with details. Thanks for all of the hard work.

3. KINGCREOLE58

KINGCREOLE58
    from WAXHAW,NC

Boy did i show up late for this party----thank god i found this site----and a book on wagons----about time-----i am out the door to get my coy------really cool

Attached Files:

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thank you Paul!!!

King Creole: Welcome! We've been waiting for you...

5. jangleguy

jangleguy

Paul PM'd me with some details I screwed up. For the record, I stated in the book that his Volvo was dynoed at 457 HP/489 Lb.Ft. In fact, those numbers improved at the next session: 461 HP/508 LbFt@5800 RPM, through a slipping clutch. That's pump gas rear-wheel power, kids. And here's the hook: This Volvo engine is designed to make peak power at 8,000+ RPM. There's still plenty on the table... My apologies, Paul. You deserve better.
    Scotty

6. Gotta hurry up and get mine fast. After my left eye surgery last week (with more surgeries coming after that) the good ol' Doc said that I may have 8-10 yrs before I'm legally blind. If they hadn't caught it I'd be done in a year. Whew! Danged diabetic retinopathy is bad stuff.

Amazon said may 31-june 6th on my pre-order...that's ok, I'm going to the bookstore and buy a few to give to freinds. Gotta support Scotty's wagono manifesto.

7. jangleguy

jangleguy

Wow! Thanks Mikey! But I'm sure sorry to hear about your vision. Glad you caught it in time to sneak in a few more years! And I hope you savor every day...

8. davidh73750

davidh73750

Im going to have to get this. Saw the cover and wow I just bought a 59 wagon project I had been bugging the guy a year for. sweet

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

David: Yeah, sounds like you need this book. The cover car is a really well done piece with a great story, too. You might even find it - inspirational...
    Scotty

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I just got my copy today :D

Thank you Scotty, the book turned out great!! :D

Especially the table of contents page! :D

Thank you again, thank you, thank you :D

You made my day :D

11. Just woke up from mine usual afternoon nap and there was a present sitting by the door...Scotty's WAGON BOOK!!! Man-o-Man it be so cool. Interesting wagonheads with good stories. I sho nuff do love it. Even if I weren't smug mug in there, I woulda still bought it. I like the way it is layed out. Might be the model for future book looks. Now if you'll only do the SD book we discussed.

Scotty, you've deserve a "golden pen award" from busting your chops learning the writing craft. You are a writer with God given talent. Oh, he also gave you a car shaped brain.

Now I have to buy at least 20 copies for my circle of bums.

12. jangleguy

jangleguy

Ha! Glad you guys are happy with your features. But please let me know if I got all the facts right, okay? So I can do better on the next book.

Danny: You had the only photo tall enough to fill the whole Table of Contents page! Just kidding - it's the perfect car for the job, in my opinion.

Mikey: We started with three of the fat wagons, but only yours made the final cut. Those guys are pissed at you...

"car shaped brain"... can I use that? Nice.

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Only one thing to mention, my car is a Suburban, not a Savoy :D

I assume a fact-checker made that change since it doesn't come up as an available model at auto parts stores either.

But I'm okay with it! :D

14. mad-cad

mad-cad

Scotty
    Just received my book this morning,I had a quick flick through,excellent photography and layout.I'll have a thorough look through it this evening.
    Tim

15. I really love all the wagon people and their inspiring stories in the book. It's amazing...we all kinda look alike...Happy!

Scotty.. my beeutiful wifey started saying my brain was shaped like car over 35 yrs ago because that's was basically my material on our first date...CARS. Can you believe it...she still liked me.!!!

Since you are wagon guy and I kinda owe you for my 17 seconds of fame, use the slogan. I will also be using it as a topic in my new book... "Life on the Lines"

I was watching 1975's "Return of the Pink Panther" today and the bod guys were driving a cool little wagon in Morrocco desert.

Update...I'm repainting the Buick delivery. I've used that sucker a lot in the last few yrs and never had any probs with it. It will be shiny black, easy flames, striping, lower and another style of rim. And as soon as we get the house project done I'll be looking for a 52-54 Ford Courier.

Let me know on that SD book (sedan delivery)

16. jangleguy

jangleguy

Doh!!! Yeah, there's an editor who checks my editor's work (after he checks MY work) and not all of these guys know cars as well as their jobs. Damn it!

I have to confess though: I didn't catch this after the book came out. This is the first I've known of it. My face is red... Chalk up another 'learning experience' for me.
    Sorry Danny. That ain't right. Misidentifying the car in the feature is insulting to the owner, the reader and in this case, me too.

17. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks for getting the book, Tim! Please let me know if anything jumps out at you as being wrong, okay?

18. jangleguy

jangleguy

Mikey: Good luck with your book! Will you be posting a thread about it here?

Also, if there's ever another wagon book, there'll be more SDs in it. But Cartech isn't likely to do a whole book on deliveries: a niche within a niche within a niche. They're in business to make money.

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

No man! I'm not worried about it at all! Most people don't believe it's a Suburban anyway :D

20. jangleguy

jangleguy

Well, I'm still kicking myself. One of the coolest parts of this story is how rare the car is. My final read-through was done under duress and I obviously didn't take as much care with it as I should have.

The good news is, the more painful the lesson, the better I tend to remember it. So this won't likely happen again. For the record, this is one of my personal favorites in the book - mostly because the photos present the car so well.

21. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

My brother and i are building a 56 ford parklane wagon,can't wait to get a copy of your book.

22. jangleguy

jangleguy

Ecode: Man, those are nice cars. I hope you guys have a blast building it. I know you'll have fun surfing it down the road... Enjoy the book! Maybe it'll keep you inspired when the going gets tough...
    Scotty

23. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

I think about a wagon all the time, glad I caught this thread I think I'll hit the book store tomorrow.

24. jangleguy

jangleguy

Careful Earl - Longroof disease is extremely addictive...

25. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done Scotty!....Just picked up my copy from the mailbox.....Fantastic!
    Thanks for all the hard work putting this book together!
    I never expected to see my car in any publication let alone a two page spread with my story and a teaser shot on the back cover....Over the top!
    Again , well done!.....Jeff

26. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey Jeff - Well done yourself! Your build story is a total crack-up! But the finished product oozes sweat - you really earned that good result!

Your feature was the only one that challenged the art department. As you now know, they struggled to match your paint color with ink. It was actually pretty bizarre... So I'm relieved to hear you're happy with it! I think your feature is bound to inspire some struggling builder out there to tough it out when they get overwhelmed. Now THAT'S a cool thing to be remembered for...

27. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

I'm new to the longroof community and will request this book from my peeps as a birthday or Christmas present.. I'm working on a 1960 Catalina 3 seat wagon with roofrack, 389 with 3 speed on the column, no radio, manual steering and brakes. It's a pretty rare car.. Eventually I want to get a '59 Buick wagon.. I look forward to getting the book.. Thanks in advance for writing it!

28. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Told me wife about it..

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  29. Kerry67

Kerry67

Damn....would love to see a shot of my wagon in a book.

30. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

How about a shot of your wagon right here? What is it?