Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gennie shifter arm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DK23, Jan 2, 2012.

1. DK23

DK23

Ok, I was able to get a 23" Swan style Gennie shifter arm to replace the short Gennie already on the car. However, the mechanisms are different? The installed arm fits down into the shifter mechanism, secured with a single roll pin going through the sleeve and the arm, the new arm clearly is meant to slip over some type of stub, and is secured with two set screws. What am I missing? Do I need a different part or what?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, I did searches but didn't find anything helpful, I plan to ask the vendor, but thought I might get answers here.

Eric Satterfield likes this.
  2. 32ratsass

32ratsass

I've never seen that type of mount on a Gennie Shifter. All that I've seen are the roll pin and spring clip retainer type, including the two that I'm running. You may be able to cut your existing one off, and machine it to fit the swan neck one that you got.
    [​IMG]

3. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

The one i purchased this summer had the small hole with the set screws in the side.I bought it without the arm and custom made my own.Purchased it from par automotive at btt50's.They claimed they could still get shifters and parts from gennie.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wasn't there a non-kind thread about Gennie stuff? Parts missing, etc.

5. Tin Can

Tin Can

Not to hijac the thread but is that all that needs to be done to remove the shifter arm is remove the clip and pin? It would make it easier for me to be able to get it into the car with the shifter all mounted to the trans and then put the arm on after it is in the car.

6. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

7. DK23

DK23

The new lever is like Chopt top kid posted, my shifter is like 32 posted. Looks like I need the Lo Stick model part that is held into the shifter with the roll pin, then my lever will fit that. I doubt I can find one of those pieces. I guess I could cut off my existing lever above the connection, and weld my lever to it, then hide it under the boot. I just thought all the Gennie levers and shifters were the same. Wasn't that the idea....easy interchange of levers?

8. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Sorry about my misinformation. I was only aware of the type I have. Guess I'd better research a little better in the future.:eek:

9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Yep, Gennie offered a newer different version, the "Lo-Stik" version is what you got a handle for. The Lo-Stik version slips over a short stub on the shifter, & is held in place with 2 set screws. The older version has a fixed handle like 32ratsass shows.

One thought-I am not sure what diameter the stub is that the Lo-Stik handle slips over on the shifter base. But MAYBE you could get a short piece of round solid stock that size, & fit it into your shifter base. Drill it to re-install the roll pin to hold the stub to your shifter. Then slip your Lo-Stik handle over the new stub, & hold it to the new stub with the set-screws.

You would also want to drill the stub to dimple it where the 2 set screws contact it, so the handle doesn't spin once the set screws in the handle are tightened. Basically you would convert your older Gennie to the newer Lo-Stik version.

Not sure if this makes sense or not? It's one of those easy things that is really a pain to explain:eek:

Dan

Eric Satterfield likes this.
  10. DK23

DK23

Makes sense Dan, thanks. There are a number of ways to fab something up. The guys at PAR told me Gennie has a part (#1014C "low stick adapter") that replaces the roll pin (old style) lever with a short "stub" that is held in with the roll pin, then the "Lo Stick" style lever will slip over that and be held in place with the two set screws, thus adapting the Low Stick to the old shifter. Anyway, PAR said they can still get Gennie parts, and have ordered the part for me. They assured me they can get it. Hopefully this info will help others too. Thanks everyone.

11. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I think that Gennie also has an adapter to mount their low-stick lever to a Hurst shifter also. I had thought about getting the low-stick swan lever and adapter to mount to the T5 in my coupe but had pretty much decided that the idea was moot... Thanks for the source at PAR Automotive...

12. DK23

DK23

Just an update for anyone interested in Gennie Shifter parts. PAR ordered the special pieces I needed from Gennie on 1/3, and they arrived today. I'm pretty impressed. Perhaps Gennie isn't as "out of business" as people think.

13. J53

J53
    from WI

...possibly posted by one of the guys laid off when business got slow...?

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, there were some real problems there and for a while they were pretty much gone. But it looks like Parr has been able to find some source, and I know Streamline also had some stuff. I hope they do come back to life, a lot of Gennie owners will need parts in the future, including us.

Don

15. J53

J53
    from WI

I don't have any problem with Parr at all, but I like how they look like heros in all this when all they are doing is calling up Gennie and ordering what their customers want. Just like every other Gennie dealer and you can do yourself.

www.gennieshifter.com
    1-877-7-Gennie

I'll admit, they seemed a little unorganized on the phone, but they answered all my questions and sent out my parts when they said they would. I ordered a mounting bracket and he did tell me they were building some things as they were ordered so it would be 2-3 days before it was shipped. Seemed normal to me as nobody is stocking anything these days (I just waited 9 weeks for a bathroom faucet). However, when my order arrived the invoice did say "Vintage Auto Parts" not Gennie Shifter Co. Not sure what that's about but...

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The whole Gennie Shifter thing is very confusing. There are tons of threads everywhere about them essentially being gone, out of business. But then there are instances where someone says they got some parts from them, either directly or through a vendor.

I was able to score a 12 inch stick we needed from them a while back by calling the Gennie phone number, but the item came from Streamline. There seems to be some interaction or connection there but not sure what the exact setup is.

Makes me wonder if they are just drawing off of some left over inventory or if stuff is still being made..............very confusing.

Don

17. DK23

DK23

I could never get any response trying to contact Gennie direct. PARR was on top of it right away. Just my experience.

18. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

I was missing the spring for my new shifter! still can't find the right one. No help at all from gennie when call talking or email. :mad: Joe

19. I'm having trouble getting a straight answer from Parr as to why I ordered on 1-22-12, and as of today, 2011-12, nothing has happened, and I can't get ANY answer from Gennie, regardless of how many times I call, or when I call, or how many e-mails I send