Register now to get rid of these ads!

rattle can

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JDiGio1960, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

There is a gizmo add on you can buy, and all you do is pull the trigger......:)

2. joee

joee

30 bucks of rattle cans.....is what it is..

Attached Files:

3. I rattle canneda '62 Failane once not bad but I found it easier to go to Harbor Freight buy a sprayer, use a compressor and do it that way. You can use rustoleum paint and it comes out pretty nice. Cheap and easy!

4. Forgot to mention, for best results find a can that has a 'fan' spray tip.

I know, way off topic car but it's about the paint, not the car.
    A Vette we used as a sign.

[​IMG]

17 cans of red and 2 cans black from WalMart at $1.09 each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 62rebel

62rebel

i use a can per panel as a basis.... large panels i double or triple it. buy as much paint as possible at the same time to keep color consistent...

i'd get a sprayer, but it'd only be used a couple of times...

prep work and keeping overspray down is key. paint is stupid; it doesn't know how it gets on your car.

6. wizzard23

wizzard23

We always said "They'll never see it from the stands".

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friend of mine restores riding mowers. He painted ever one of them with rattlecan paint. They have the look of a expensive paint job. He claims it is all in the prep .

8. Boy ! these jobs look great.
    Thought I would chime in.......... My truck frame, kickpanels fender wells, motor, headers and intake are brush painted w/POR15 (blk,red,alum) and the dash is rattle Duplacolor red and the rest of the inside is gloss black
    The wheels are Rustoleum Red Gloss and the outside of my truck is Valspar satin black.
    Harbor frt. supplied the orb. sander and paper and Lowes the paint except for the Duplacolor it came from Advance Auto.
    I'm like fleetside66, I just want to have fun and drive, not worry bout scratchin the paint.:D
    even my COKE trunk is hand painted w/New Holland tractor paint.

Attached Files:

9. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

That's not entirely accurate....there are many satin and flat clears that wont even show on your primer..its the way to go if you have a bitchen' primer job and want to save it and keep it looking flat. Rule is..satin clear for satin paints, flat clear for flat paints.

10. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

Your panhead is rad! super jealous!

11. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

Is it more exspensive to rattle can it? or is it similar in price to pay someone to spray gun it?

12. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

i saw your build thread earlier and started following last week. such a rad build man! the truck is looking awesome! what kind of paint and prep did you use for your motor?

13. Muttley

Muttley

Those things work great and give you a much better finished product.

[​IMG]

14. Don't be it no longer exists. It was a good address for 7 years or so.

Well I may like him already. Maybe I know him, I used the bay area as my home base for a long time.

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've got no digital pictures, but my sons and I painted our '74 Chevy 4-dr Dually with spray-cans in 2000, it held up pretty darn good for several years.

16. Thanks for the props. Prep was wire brushing (by hand and with a high speed 4" grinder with a wire wheel) and oven cleaner for the engine. I did completely strip the valve cover and air cleaner. Paint was rattle can Duplicolor engine enamel.

17. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

I used the X2 cover paint, Semi-gloss. Took me 5 cans to do my 51 chevy over grey primer[​IMG]

18. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I love this color and the shading, i know you used rattle cans but how did you achieve this look? did you just spray black over brown and wet sand to blend or what?

Thanks
    MrC.

19. lt1racing

lt1racing

[​IMG]
    after rattlecanning my 55, i thought i'd shoot my chevy II. turned out pretty good.

20. DavidL

DavidL

One of my dad's good friends painted his Corvair with rattle cans. It looked really good but it started to fade a little after a few years.

21. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I'd love to have a Coke machine like that as a trunk in my '55 Chevy truck. What is the right name for that type/shape machine? I'd like to search eBay or Craigslist for one.

22. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

There was a deal a few years back about painting with a roller, put it on thick and cut and buff, ect....

23. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Man that looks killer for rattle can!

24. firingorder1

firingorder1

I built a new body for my LSR sidecar. As its going to be covered in El Mirage dust and Bonneville salt I don't get too worried about a perfect finish. Rustoleum Red. I sanded it and polished it out. Shitty but shiny. The mechanical parts are way more important.

[​IMG]
    By weslake at 2012-02-09

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice old Panhead, what year was it?

26. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

Duplicolor and Rustoleum spraypaint on my old bike.

Duplicolor sandable primer
    Duplicolor Metalspecks silver
    Rustoleum Metallic blue
    Duplicolor Anodized blue
    Duplicolor clear

This is shortly after painting. I polished it later. I could have done it with automotive paint, but I wanted to see what could be done with rattle cans. I've also done other lace, fade, candies and flake just for fun since this. Looking at them you would never know! The wheels are gloss black Rustoleum and the silver pieces-not the aluminum, but the chainstays and washers on riser bushings-are Krylon Brushed Nickel. Also the motor is Rustoleum Textured black

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      125.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      124.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      66.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      103.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  27. Drewski

Drewski

Rattle can painting is what got me into the custom painting line of work back in the mid 60's.

I don't know how many of you will remember Cal Custom rattle can paints back in the 60's, but they had a variety of candy colors as well as the base or ground coat colors. I painted my BSA candy green with Cal Custom and it turned out great. I did a little buffing on it and it was slick as glass.

[​IMG]

Long story short, I painted a lot of bikes for people, never telling them I was using rattle cans. Later bought compressor and spray equipment and now over 40 years later I'm retired from an auto mfg. co. where I worked as a paint repair tech.

Drew

28. 50adrod

50adrod
    from Louisiana

my 2 rattle cans
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the only problem with rattle can paint is it is not fuel resistant so be carefull when refueling

29. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

64 2dr Hardtop- Krayalon satin black - hey its on the road right? hahaha

Attached Files:

30. Metallicat

Metallicat
    BANNED
    from Bay Area

The dash and window frames were satin black Krylon with clear over them. What does heavy rain look like?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]