Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumb Sh!* that almost killed us

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

Not trying to be an ass. Why is it called a suicide front end? I have always wondered that.

2. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

younger & dumber... had a 76 Pinto ( maybe you seen this special model ??? had a V-6 & was silver with black racing stripes & the stallion on the lower front fenders ) had a custom reciever hitch added to the back ( remember they were the "blow up" Pintos ) to strengthen the rear bumper & give me a good hitch

I was moving back to MN from Kali... had an 10ft U-Haul trailer loaded with a king sized waterbed & all that big bedroom furniture that went with those sets, in those days, saving space, nearly every crevace had something packed into it... ( remember... younger & dumber ) all the heavy stuff in the front of the trailer... I then proceaded to strap a Honda 360 motorcycle across the draw bar...

going through the mountains was interesting... the car would overheat going up, & we rolled like a rocket going down... at least until we hit a big whoop going down one mountain, & had the front end lift... rolled quite a ways that way... had to tap the brakes to finally bring the front end down... :eek:

drove alot slower through the mountains after that...:eek:

that was a pretty cool car... should have kept it ( remember... younger & dumber )

3. The front frame rails dig in when the front end comes off. Do it at speed and you do an endo. Most cars didn't have seat belts when they coined the term.

4. I probably posted in one the 54 Ford forum at www.1954ford.com

About the only other forum I (used to) haunt was the slant six forum, so it might've been there. My Valiant got creamed by a front-end loader, however, so I don't hang out there much anymore.

5. TravBW56

TravBW56

One thing I never told anyone till now,Not long ago after changing a damaged lifter,I started it up,only to hear the most god awful noise,Moral of the story? remove the breaker bar from the damper bolt upon start up.

6. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

hey check out how they would put top fuel motors in dragsters i never got it but they all did it oh ........strenth of a 3/8 u joint good one , is more than some of the cool sharp, steering joints one I say sharp cause a guy I know lost the tip of his finger in one

7. khead47

khead47

filled carbs on my fresh 286" flathead for start up , cranked motor and the bastard hydrolocked! shit!!! pulled plugs and cranked motor by jumping solonoid on firewall.......#3 and 4 cylinders soaked my upper torso with gas while sparks are flying from solonoid!!! no ignition. musta done sumpin right in my sorry life.

8. 32ratsass

32ratsass

I posted this one on a previous thread, Time to re-visit it!!

9. 68ragtop

68ragtop
    from Texas

10. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

32ratsass, that reminds me of something stupid I did with a battery.. Filled it up with
    water, and got it all over the top of the battery. Not thinking, I just took a deep
    breath and blew off the top of the battery. I blew right into one of the holes, and it
    splashed the acid water right into my eyes!! I freaked!! I ran the water hose in my eyes
    for like 10 minutes, worried that I was going to go blind or something. Luckily, I never
    lost any of my vision.. I won't ever make that mistake again.

11. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Testing out the trans brake with a new set of slicks on a short street.......... AND BAD SET OF FRONT BRAKES!:p

12. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

My first truck was a 89 s10 that I bought when i was 16 in 1999. It had to be as low as possible so we cut the springs and lowered the rear by removing all the leafs except on an used 2x4s instead of blocks after cruising to the beach about 20 miles away we decided it was unsafe. every time I shift gears the truck would swerve all over the road. Added some more leafs but never too kout the wood blocks. They later broke and the rear shifted . That thing was a death trap.

Before I could drive we made a street luge. we took that thing down slightly busy streets and towed it behind my buddys ranger. We hit trees, my friend ended up under the truck and got burnt up by the exhaust.

Oh, we caught alligators too but that really didn't seem all that dangerous at the time. We even put one in my friends pool. His mother freaked.

13. One time I made a trip to wyoming I bought some fire works. they were like black cats but slightly larger. a few years later I was driving and a friend in the passenger seat found one in the glove box so I grabbed it and lit it planning on throwing it in fornt of the window so we could see it explode. those fuses dry out a bit and get extremely fast I dont think I moved the firework more than an inch before it exploded in my hand. The shock wave was amplified by the contained standard cab of the truck and essentially I flash banged my self and my friends while driving 50 mph down the highway. Somehow I stayed on the road and slowed down and stopped off the side. but damn that was dumb. My ears were ringing and my head was pounding for the rest of the day.

14. MistShift

MistShift

Bumper skitching!!!! I still have some nice scars on my knees from the dry patches where there was no snow or ice! OWwwWWwwwwWw

15. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

1st. to everybody that posted that posted above THANKS for laughs!:D
    i can relate to more than a few of these stories! how the hell did i live this long???& i have 5 kids that live in my house--god help us!

:D :D :D

i had pretty much the same thing happen to a buddy & me,
    he bought this 1970 falcon that had a mean small block in the it.{he needed for his car] well the brakes barely worked -ok i'll just use the parking brake-so we start to tow it back to the base {Ellsworth AF} everything was going good till he decides to drive the damn speed limit!:mad:just before we reach the main gate this new MP steps out in front of us to check the base sticker,{this way before 9/11 MP's would just waive you through back then}well i asshole him doing 30-40mph..that poor bastard probably pissed himself-damn lucky he didn't shoot our asses! nothing like 3 well armed MP's to spoil all the fun! we never got stopped going through the gate again,they would see us coming & waive us through,especially if we were towing anything!:D

16. grazy

grazy

The summer I graduated my buddies parents moved to Florida leaving them to watch the house , so me and a few buddies moved in . Well it quickly became party center of town with no adult supervision . Only problem his older brother was totally nuts and he had a very unhealthy love of WW1 and WW2 firearms . He was always buying selling and trading today he has a very impressive collection . One small purchase of guns from a widow resulted in a large container of black powder coming into his possesion. Well we used to drink beer down in the basement and a few to many in we figured out that a very small pile of black powder in the middle of the concrete floor with a match flipped from the striker towards the powder made these very cool little mushroom clouds atomic bomb like in appearance . Well it became something we did on a regular basis . Well one night with a few girls present we did a few clouds for them but they did not find it near as cool as we did . After they left we drank quite a few more beers and his brother made a pile of powder twice the size we normally used WOW what a big beautiful mushroom cloud. So he lets out a sinister drunken laugh and dumped a huge pile of black powder I was buzzed just enough to think DAMN this may not end well . I backed up against the wall and had my hand on the hand rail at the bottom of the basement stairs . When I noticed they were standing far from the pile of powder like they was afraid of the result if a match lit it . Well when it ignited with a big FOOOOM ! the percussion was felt in my chest and it made me take a drunken step backwards the cloud was so big the basement immediately went black my drunken mind suddenly thought is the basement on fire ? Smoke was so thick you could see nothing . I was able to talk all my drunken disoriented buddies to the steps and we quickly exited the house outside we knocked a few basement windows to let out smoke and look for flames . While waiting for the smoke to clear the girls came back with more beer and asked us what the hell happened and was anybody hurt or missing fingers they saw the smoke from a long ways up the street. They were convinced we had the house burning and fully engulfed by the amount of smoke as they had seen it from a distance . When his parents came up for Christmas and asked about the freshly painted basement we told them its because it was the room I stayed in and it was to dark and dreary down there .They said all those people hanging out there was bringing his shy older brother out of his shell ? ?

17. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

i would have used a 1/2 inch swivel on the steering !!! dont do lawnmowers, and wont tell of all the stupid stuff ive done ... im lucky to reach rip old age of 50......kev

18. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

I had a '66 Chevy Van with a hot 327 in it that had a messed up floor mount dimmer switch that I didn't know about...heading to the north coast at midnight to see my girl, and at about 70mph on a twisty road, in the darkest grove of redwood tress, a car passed me, so I dipped my high beams... When he was passed, I went and kicked 'em back on high, and all the lights GO OUT! I was BLIND-in PITCH BLACKNESS! Let me tell you, I was stompin' THE HELL outta that switch and hoping I was guessing right where the road was! They popped back on just long enough for me to turn and miss a huge redwood by a foot...finally got the lights to come back on and I pulled over 'cuz I couldn't drive for few minutes...ever have your kneecaps shake up & down real bad?...I have...

EW

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  19. Scumdog

Scumdog

Buddy bought a '48 Ford car with uprated suspension etc.

Drove it 250+ miles home, tore the motor out and discovered the steering rag-joint was made from the sole of a flip-flop....:eek:

20. sickytwisted

sickytwisted

Tried to weld some tiny pin holes shut on the gas tank of a 65 impala<---Enough said! It didn't pop. In fact, it was more of a loud hum. Either way, the result was a non usable gas tank and my almost crapping my pants.

Early Ironman likes this.
  21. I had recently finished up my first drag car(MW altered with a 377 Chev, P Glide, Super Pro bracket car. Ran mid 5's in the 8th) at our local track Lost Creek in Montana. One eliminations round I was racing another altered guy that was pretty good so I was so focused on kickin his ass I wasnt really paying much attention to anyhthing else. I did my burnout and thought the steering felt a little spongie. Figured it was water on the front tires or something. Anyway, staged up and the beams were odd when staging. Again nothing registers. We take off, I went red....and the car is all over the track ( worse than usual haha ) but i kept it mashed. Ran sub 6 seconds at prob 125ish, struggling to keep it off the rail. Turns out one of the king pin bushings was laying on the track at 60' and the spindle was cambered in A LOT, hence the red light, and almost fell off! The lower frame rail was scrubbed off and the starter guy was in chase on the 4 wheeler. He said it was sparks the entire pass and he was white as Casper. Gotta love altereds!

22. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

In 2003 I had a '58 Ford Custom 300 tudor that needed some engine work so I had to tow it 30 miles to Louisville. (I bought it from a classic car place in southern Illinois (CCC)-big mistake.) I had done this a couple of months earlier with my '83 Ranger with no problem but this time I rented a tow dolly from a different place. I couldn't get the straps down very tight over the '58's wheels for some reason so I said screw it and took off with my two dogs in the truck with me. As soon as I got on the interstate while going about 45 mph the '58 started swaying back and forth. I tried to slow down but it was too late. The Ranger flipped over on the driver's side, slid a few feet, and then flipped over on the other side. I remember saying a few prayers that a semi wouldn't plow into me right after we stopped sliding. I had my seat belt on so I was OK and the dogs were shaken up but uninjured. Some guys stopped and I handed them the dogs through the driver's door and then climbed out and put them in the '58. The '58 was a little scratched up but the Ranger was a real mess. It turns out that the kid at the rental place had put the straps on the dolly backwards which is why I couldn't get them very tight. The guy at the rental place was a real jerk and wouldn't give me my money back even after I showed him the Ranger with both sides all scraped up. Now I have an F-150 4x4 and an F-350 dump truck and I'm not planning on buying another Ranger anytime soon.... :eek:

23. gump

gump

Well my story was about ten yrs ago i had a full size chevy ext cab air bagged and body dropped. Going across the susquehanna river i had a bag blow out in the front. I had the bags for prob. 30,000 miles no problems at all. A large rock got wedged between frame and bag rubbing a hole in it. So i slide across highway on my rocker panels to a safe stop. I had a guy stop and help or to see what the huge spark show was all about. Anyway between me and him lifting on bumper we got a small flat jack under frame. I had a spare bag but not the right tools to pop a arms apart so. I crawled under truck behind front tire to squeeze bag to try to pry it out. Helpful guy that stopped decided to step on my wheel and began to jump on it so i could gain more room for bag to come out.thats the end of story for me cause i woke up in hospital .... Two days later. Yup truck fell from about 18" down frame rail on side of my head and other side of head on asphalt. I had a carriage bolt mark on my temple for a week. What kept me alive is rocker panel landed on my shoulder squeezing me, broke my sternum. The guy who helped me get in this position said he basicly ran out into the highway forcing cars to stop and got two other people to stop and lift and pull me out. I tell people this stiry and the always look at my head while im talking to them lol. Hard to find hats that fit now lol kidding but im fine, i some times use that as an excuse to my wife when i forget things she asked me to do haha.

24. jazzbum

jazzbum

ha, my grandpa drove his 38 dodge this way from somewhere in arizona until the sun came up somewhere in california. necessity is a mother, or however that goes.

25. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Gosh I guess I got a couple:

After selling my OT '68 Firebird, I was able to get the engine back I had swapped out of my '67 convert 'Bird to keep it original. Got the engine back complete from air cleaner to exhaust manifold. (The new owners had let a nut go down the carb while ti was running and wiped out a cylinder.

The only thing available to bring it home in was my little '88 Chevy Sprint LOL! Glad my buddy came along to offest the weight of that motor hanging out the back of the hatch b/c I could barely keep the front wheels on the ground to steer!

The other is short and not so dangerous: My GF and I were out in her OT '67 Camaro, when it died. I hitched a ride with a guy at midnight to get home and get my Firebird and a tow rope from a C-130. Mom and Dad didn't know I was out, so I pushed the car down the street so they wouldn't hear the Turbo mufflers. I

Drive the 16mi back up there and hooked up the cars. I told Regina to use the brakes for us. Being 17 and blonde, she used the brakes the whole time! Her rotors were almost glowing and my trans was about to turn in its resignation!

We parked her car and went back for it the next day.

26. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Just thought of another one:

Again on aforementioned OT '67 Firebird convertible, a friend and I started disassembly on it to start restoration. We stayed up all night doing it and weren't thinking clearly by early morning. I was getting a tool for something, and he's under the car unbolting the front frame clip - nevermind that we didn't think about that.

Good thing we hadn't pulled the engine yet. He came out of there and smoked 2 cigarettes in 20 seconds!

27. We were painting a car in a friends one car garage back in the lacquer days. No masks or ventaltion, he was on the last clear coat, I went outside to get some air. I came back in and he was still shooting clear, perfect form, concentration, paint going on perfect, execpt he was painting the wall ,with the car behind him. Took the gun from him and took him outside for him to recover. I had to explain what happened later on, he didnt have a clue.

28. Saxxon

Saxxon

Changing the rear shocks on my sister's 71 Monte Carlo. Had the car jacked up on my father's drive which was sloped for drainage. I was using logs to hold up the car. As I sat under the fuel tank with my legs uinder the diff, the car fell off the logs. The only thing that saved me was that the car landed on the logs and kept it up high enough so that it didn't kill me

Then there was the time I drove my V8 vega around the block sitting on a Coke box and using a string as a throttle cable. Did I mention the questionable brakes at the same time ??

29. DREW148BHP

DREW148BHP

Riding wheelies down the freeway at 100+ miles an hour on my R1. Stupid stuff!!!!!!!

30. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I did not read all the post but I will just say that cinder blocks make very bad jack stands. I'm glad to be alive to tell about it! BUY GOOD JACK STANDS!!!!!!