Register now to get rid of these ads!

base coat clear coat paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butch70462, Jan 13, 2012.

1. butch70462

butch70462

thinking about redoing my 1966 Mustang, on a clear coat how do i repaint,asking can i just sand it or do i have to bring it back down to metal,TKS Butch

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. That all depends on your final goal. I would be one to being it down to metal to see what I have to work with and start from a clean slate.

A scuff and spray will work, but may not be what you want in the end.

3. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

You can sand and respray, though I've had problems in the past with 'crow's feet' or 'crazing' around the edges of places where I've sanded through the clear. Usually only on fresh clear when I've mucked up something else...

I like to get down to the metal too, just to know what's there. The only other down side to scuffing and spraying is the extra material, which can get bulky/brittle with the extra layers.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Why do you want to go base coat clear coat on a car you care about?

5. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

What type paint would you use????? curious?

6. vanst603

vanst603
    from New York

Urethane 2 stage base clear is system that's been around for a long time and is user friendly. I wouldnt recommend going over old finishes as your asking for trouble, a paint job is only as good as the surface and preparation. There are many good manufactures such as PPG, ICI and DuPont, your local auto finishing paint store can help. Don't mix manufacturers stick with one sealer, primer, bars color and clear. If you have an HVLP gun all the better. Paint is expensive, good luck.

7. butch70462

butch70462

8. brianj

brianj

I paint in a garage, not in a paint booth. I like to use a single stage paint, because it is easyer to fix the dirt, dust and general crap that happens with a "home" paint job. Wet sanding and buffing can do wonders- google "rust-oleum paint job" some time. Not that I recommend painting a car with rustoleum and a roller, but it shows how much nastyness you can rub out on single stage paint.

9. bodyman

bodyman
    from east tx

it all depends on your car , how many times has it been painted ? how many mills of paint are on it ? you can get your local paint supplier to use a mill gauge on it if you dont know . what condition the old paint is in ? like said before the new paint will only be as good as the foundation under it !! good luck

10. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

It really depends on your time frame, budget, knowledge and equipment. I would tell everyone to take it to bare metal! do it right if your investing any amount of time and money in it! But, you are looking at a big O long project. totally disassembling the car and starting from the ground up. I would say it also depends on the condition of your existing paint job? hard to say with out seeing it!

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Sand and use a sealer ,,,Hopefully pimpin paint will shime in.......

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

It's just a mustang, bomb can it.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

66?? Mustang?? what exactly are you asking? want to redo a clear coat or want to just clear over existing paint? need a lot more details on what ya got first.

14. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Minus the 66 mustang part... Lets pretend you said o... A 40 ford... It all depends on the condition of your paint that you have, If you take a da (dual action) sander and sand on a spot and it doesnt appear to be "flaking off" instead of graduallyy sanding you would be fine to paint on top of it. I would also sand to bare metal in a spot just to see how many times its been painted before, if its been painted 2-3times you would need to strip it back down or the paint would risk "cracking" or "crows feet".

If the paint kinda "flakes off" than the base is no longer stable and would need to be completely removed.
    I use PPG DBC base/clear and never have any problems with it. A paint booth is nice but not needed, clean your garage (or someone elses) and clean it real nice, and right before you paint soak down the floor and it will keep dust down.

... Dont try to just spray clear on it will look like shat...

15. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually you can color sand and buff clear coats with good results. Pic of a "garage" painted tri-coat after color sanding and buff:

Attached Files:

16. PinHead

PinHead

Like others have said, we don't have nearly enough information here, regardless of what kind of car the paint is going on. Can you give us an idea of what shape the existing paint is in? Do you have any idea what is under it?

The short answer is that if your existing paint is in great shape, then yes, you could just scuff it up, use a good sealer (ask your paint jobber what products to use, for compatibility), and then paint whatever you want over it. However, t's not often that the existing paint is in good enough shape to do that.

17. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

I meant if the clear if coming off dont try to scuff the base and just put clear back on... like if its doing this...

Attached Files: