Register now to get rid of these ads!

chain drive coupling ??? who has any info please help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32coupedeville, Jan 14, 2012.

1. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i am building a 29 essex 3 window coupe. the engine is in the passanger set area and me in the drivers seat. yes there will be a good firewall between me and the chevy 6 cylinder . now i was going to cut a ford 9" rear axle and do a long axle and a short axle to center up the axle yoke and the transmission out put. i just ran out of room front to back. so here is what i have. a ford banjo rear axle turned around backwards and the trans will be under the axle centerline and to the right. i would like to do a chainr drive like the miller lakes car in the latest rodders journal but it would have to be angled instead of streight uo and down. any one ahve ineas ro ahve sued chain to drine and engine in the past?? thanks for any info you can provide

here are pics of the miller car.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nfleone

nfleone

Look for boat V-Drives. I remember seeing them in Drag Boats in the 70s.
    Nick

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey...that Miller proves that everybody was wrong...you can "flip an axle".

Can't help with the chain-drive question, but just a thought. I understand that you don't have room for the driveshaft if it's parallel to the centerline of the car, but what if you kept the differential centered, so that the driveshaft is on an angle, side to side. Would there be enough room then? Might be on too much of angle though.

I wonder if you could use a 4WD transfer case? Various forward gears to boot...a shiftable "quick-change".

I'm dying to see pics of this Essex.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ford vans have a rear axle with the diff offset well over to the right. If you got one of those and shortened the right side to suit, it should be pretty close to lining up with your transmission.

5. Clik

Clik

Check out the Right Angle gear box used on early 90s Boss Hoss 2 wheeled motorcycles. It may trigger some thoughts. They use a very short automatic too.

I have a chain drive dif made from Ford components in my 93 Harley trike conversion, which is another thought.

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Try a Marine application

or if you can make a mount and carrier bearing then use an universal

also look at old farm equipment ,,there were quite a bit of double row chain set ups there

7. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Check out the tractor pull guys. They couple anything with anything..:eek:

8. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have a transfer case like the top one pictured at the site I posted below...Its made by PRO FAB..It needs a little work, bought it at a swapmeet, it was used on Ron Hutter's engine dyno, needs bearings and some work on the front cover....It has all gears inside..no chain...can handle lots of power like a Alky Blown Monster Truck and its heavy..I paid 400 bucks for it.....I am sure their are much cheaper options for you really have no power issues w/ your power plant..I drew up something I was going to do w/ duel 40mm belts...but figured I would break them...Littleman

http://www.profabmachineinc.com/quickchange.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, 32cd;

As mentioned, the Toro/Eldo drive is really slick & quiet & strong.

But it seems to me, like a fairly easy solution, would be to use 3 QC straight-cut gears in a row. All the same dia & tooth count. Just wouldn't be very quiet. I think it'd be easier than doing a chain drive, & at least as strong as the Eldo unit. If not, I'd really like to know why. Either way, I'll be watching this one, as I'm interested in the various solutions offered. Never know what ideas I can steal... :D .

Marcus...

10. R Pope

R Pope

Find a Jeep chain drive drop case. I think it was the Wagoneer that had all the drive going through the chain, both front and rear driveshafts offset to the passenger side. It was sitting almost horizontal, rather than vertical. They have one input shaft and an output shaft front and rear, you would just use the front one.

11. gasser john

gasser john

try meier transmission in cleveland,ohio. 216-881-0444. they carry industrial apps but im sure they can match what you need and give specs to size it for torgue and hp requirements.good luck

12. 296moon

296moon
    from england

My first thought was toronado morse chains, but Toymaker (and others before) have done simular with two flywheels, just a thought,,,,, you might then need some ideler gears between the two for it work in the same direction, same as cam geardrives.

13. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

alot of ideas,be interested in seeing what you come up with.bitchin coupe BTW

14. 296moon

296moon
    from england

How about a search on sidewinders or transerve engine drives as its the same type of thing?

15. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Hallcraft V-drives have been used (misused) as such. Nice for gear change-out options, but not so good for instantaneous impact loads. Anyway I think you have to address the engine rotation as "296" noted which V-drive takes care of.

16. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Sorry, a bit more thought I guess you can get the correct rotation by just flipping which side the pinion runs on

17. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

so littleman are you wanting to sell that gear case or did i miss understand you. if so what bearings does it need? how much work does it need? i like a gear driven case the best. i bet a new case frome profab id big money.