Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage door alert?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Jan 13, 2012.

1. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

my garage has an old 10x10 overhead door,chain operated.its too heavy to lift by hand,and i latch the chain to keep it from opening.
    i also have a computer program that monitors my yard through webcams.
    it will send e-mails if something passes in front of cameras.
    aparrently it can be monitored remotely,and can be adapted for cctv cams also.

www.ledset.com
    its called camwiz,i spent 50 bucks on the program,20 on the cams.
    it also has a free trial for a month.
    got my money's worth.

2. fbama73

fbama73

My neighbor two doors down can see my garage just fine. And he likes that I stop noisy work well before his bedtime. Add shoveling his walk when it snows, stopping to check if they need anything when going to the store in a bad snow, and helping solve problems here and there- I've got a nice watch system.

And I ditched the auto opener years ago, too.

3. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

I don't have an opener but I was thinking about the Liftmaster 3000. Hooks up to the shaft, not the door. No emergency latch in the center.

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2929881502P?i_cntr=1326512344464
    Theres the link to the one I ordered to the ones who want to know about them.

400ft range, red/green visible indication, audible indication that can be muted (only audible by receiver, in house)
    should work for what im wanting.

and for the others, no im not lazy, i can open the door by hand and would. though there is no way to open/lock this particular door from outside. I can't get to the walk in door from the alley, my 6ft fence surrounding my yard has no outside access, so its a bit more work than its worth to go around the block and through the house out to the yard to shut the door after taking a vehicle out.
    the opener is new but sometimes my local power dips and causes it to open.
    i know if its broken into and someone is taking tools they'll have a ton by the time police show up, thats not my point. we have make my day law here, if its being broken into and im around that will be no problem.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Gearhead Graphics - Thanks for SEARS link/info. I also have a couple wireless motion detectors in my driveway that I got from Harbor Freight under $20. one sender sets off receiver alarm in house every time there is movement outside.. the other I have sender and receiver outside-1 to get attention from neighbors and 2 the repeated noise might scare off the bad guys. have HF cameras set up too so when alarm goes off can see driveway without going outside. this is just for garage where our commute car is. shop is behind locked metal gate and more.

6. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Slowmotion, the kit is a Liftmaster 915LM .... if you search eBay for Liftmaster door monitor you will find a bunch for under $20.

Barry

7. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Thanks gearhead graphics for starting this thread and to everyone for their great info. The only thing I ever did was put a bolt in the track when we travel but I'm now going to be removing my opener.

8. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

All that machinery moving directly above your multi-thousand dollar paint job? What happens when the drive mechanism breaks and falls on your car's roof?

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I like the vice grips in the track, works every time.

10. steel garage and entry door. Welded them shut. Problem is, I've been missing for about a week.......

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Thank you sir!

12. I like this method, simple and cheap!

13. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I had a friend that had a cool 49 Merc in his garage. He figured a big German Shepherd was a good deterrent. One day he came home to find his garage door opened, and the Merc gone, but the dog was there eating a big bone the thiefs left with him. He bit the cop when he showed up to take a police report. True Story. I'd get some type of alarm.

14. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Why not set up a loud siren on a switch and sensors on the doors and windows with a timer so if it goes off and they close the door or window it will still sound for a while. Almost like the interior lights on a newer car when u open then close the door the lights still stay on for a while. Run the swich wires underground and mount it by ur back door of the house so once u exit the house its the first switch u hit and when u come inside its the last one too. Maybe run dual sires one by ur house so u can hear better and one by the garage to scare them away.

15. BirdGuy

BirdGuy
    from Central PA

Years ago I wired up a simple button that the door would contact when closed. Wired to a red light in the house where I couldn't miss it, and a basic wall-wart transformer supplied the power. I think I might have spent $10 at Radio Shack. Worked great - never forgot the door after that.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas - got my wheels turnin'. My shop doors are all manual, but our garage for the dailies has an opener... May have to rethink that one.

16. Hot Rod Grampa

Hot Rod Grampa

Garage doors & openers is my bread & butter and most of the posts are 100%. I often am called to open doors for customers and it is surprisingly easy if you know how. Openers or not. There are companies that make electric solenoids that can be used as slide locks to secure the door and not rely on the opener. I have used this system on high security installations, but you cannot use remote controls with your opener. The next generation of openers from LiftMaster is due in a few months and they are going to be wi-fi compatible, where you will be able to look at the status of the opener, open or closed, but that assumes the door is still connected. One of my customers uses a simple motion detector and floodlight system that is also connected to a cheap 120V siren. It is activated with a wall switch that has a small red bulb warning you it is armed. If one of the garage doors are opened or there is foot traffic anywhere near the doors the light and siren go on and stay on for 5 minutes or until he gets out there. Simple but effective.

17. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Or lazy.

18. FEDER

FEDER

I have a double light switch in my garage. One for the light and the other is the gd opener. Fed

19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

For what its worth. I got my alert the other day and installed it. Works just as I wanted. If the door is up there is an annoying beep, or if someone is in the house they can hit the mute button until the door shuts, then it resets.
    Not trying to keep it like ft knox, just now I know if the door is up or not.

20. This is to remind you that you left the door open ot to let you know that someone else is opening it.

I have an electric garage door opener. I also own a screw driver that I poke though the hole so someone else doesn't open it.

Something that I found in the clearance area at sears the other day does scape the hell out of me. They have a thing that they market cheap that will open any garage door with the idea that you can use it if you loose your opener. Scary, acroding to the instructions you just get close to the opener, like within 25 feet, and press the button and it searches for the signal.

21. indyjps

indyjps

YEP. My brother had a room mate that got a search warrant issued on him. Cops came thru the door and the first action they took was to put 3 slugs into my brothers dog.

My shop, no opener, walk in door with deadbolt into steel plate bolted to frame, 1 window 8 feet off the ground