Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wood Graining Your Dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jnds53, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jnds53

jnds53

i'm Thinking Of Wood Graining My 53' Chevy Got Some Ideas On Line Would Like More, Has Anyone Done Something Like It, Any Help Would Be Great

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Jdee posted some links to a few videos
    in a past Tech Week thread
    but they don't seem to be valid anymore..?

3. If you find out how, please post it here or PM it to me.
    Everyone I ask says it's easy but never has any directions to give.

I would like step by step directions if they are available anywhere.
    Thanks!

4. jnds53

jnds53

I did find some stuff on the web site,
    www.vintage-planet.com they seem to be pretty good, I was looking for someone with some experience to offer some ideas. Thanks

5. If this is wood graining the dash with paint, I once saw the finished product. It was not the dash, but all the interior trim parts. It looked like real wood! The body shop I was working at sent the trims parts out to a local auto restoration college to be done. The college still might do this kind of work on your car parts? The link to the college is: http://www.mcpherson.edu/technology/nyt.asp

6. taylormade

taylormade

It's a very easy process. Paint on a smooth base coat, rough it up a bit with fine sandpaper. Cut up a few old paintbrushes (jagged ends) and rough up a few pieces of sponge. Streak and sponge on a coat of darker gel stain and work with the brushes and sponge to get the effect you want. Let it dry and clearcoat.

[​IMG]

7. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Call Bob Kennedy in Whittier, CA. .....He is Bad Ass!

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've got one of Jdee's "kits" to do woodgraining.
    For about 1/3 the price of having someone who is good at painting it, you can do it yourself, and still have the tools to do more for your buddies, who will be jealous of your dash!
    I've seen the hand painted stuff, and it looks OK, but next to the "real" way of woodgraining, it looks phony. The method Jdee, and others, use, is the original method used by car manufacturers in the 30's and 40's. It uses a soft urethane roller (rubber in the past) that picks up the woodgrain design off of an etched plate. The plate is made from pictures of real wood, different varieties available, too. The 'paint' he gives you has a nice translucency that makes the grain look like it has depth, 3-D, like real wood. I recommend it to anyone!
    (Jdee, am I getting a commision on these?????) Hahahaha!

9. mortecai

mortecai

I just checked out the free report that jnds53 posted. It looks pretty easy and can probable be used on things other than car parts.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Get in touch with Jdee. It seems his homepage has changed & I can't find the link to his stuff...

11. Jdee

Jdee

I'm working on some new videos should be up in the next few weeks.
    here is all I have so far.
    http://woodgraining.com/

Thanks for the plugs you guys! Big Daddy gave us one a few weeks ago,
    was nice of him he needs to sign up here!
    Thanks Jdee
    Remember
    10% off any supplies for HAMB folks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  12. McKee

McKee

Check with Rollie, he's a master at it!

13. noboD

noboD

Jdee, does that mean you'll have new music for the video by Hershey? I'm still having nightmares from last year. See you soon!

14. Jdee

Jdee

I hope to not have any music, drives me crazy too :eek:
    I guess we are moved to a new spot a few rows down but close enough
    so you can hear the music if I have some :D
    Jdee

15. Rent A. Trip

Rent A. Trip

Have samples of some of my work that that I have personally done includes, wood grained Sportster motorcycle & garage door.
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -

[​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    These were originally white generic steel doors -
    -
    [​IMG]

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

17. arkansas Bob

arkansas Bob

Fellow HAMB member felix37 has done several for our shop. Does very fine job. Might want to contact him.

18. 33mopower

33mopower

With all respects to the graining plate type of woodgraining it does have drawbacks. There difficult to seam together and even more difficult on high compound shapes. The hand painted styles are extremely time consuming and not as realistic.
    The best way to woodgrain is base coat, hydrographic printing, and candy(for depth). Hydrographic printing can be even more realistic than the plates and it can form completely to any shape. Also there are hundreds of styles of woodgrain available. Color comes from the base coat, candy coat combination.

19. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

And theres tons of different wood types you can hand paint. I use anywhere from just an airbrush, to a rag with laquer thinner, to a paint brush, and almost always stacking different candy colors. It is time consuming but if you do it right it can look more realistic than printing...Printing is to consistant. You can paint wood ranging from bamboo, fire maple, aged oak, beech, cherry, redwood, imagination is the limit... I do it quite often. If you want some pictures in steps, or any info feel free to pm me...

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My '46 Olds,done locally down-under Did the garnish molds while I was at it.

Attached Files:

21. Jdee

Jdee

22. bct

bct

you can get a wood grainer at home depot, they work nice on the flat stuff. i'd like to see more birds eye or crotch mahogany or walnut. i did some piture frames last winter and use my air nozzle , to blow lines perpendicular to the grain , to give a tiger maple effect...worked well. the best way to do it is to just start.

23. Jdee

Jdee

Working on a Graham this week, its has crotch mahogany on the glove box and gauge panels. Its a neat looking grain pattern we don't get to use much. :D
    Jdee

Attached Files:

24. bct

bct

25. swissmike

swissmike

Wow! Very impressive. Great work.

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

great work , everyone !

27. Modeljunkie

Modeljunkie

Still trying to figure out what woodgrain my 40 plymouth is supposed to be since most of it is gone.

The process looks really nice and easy on the vids....neat thing is that I could do anything to mine and after all, that is the nature of this site - to make it different and to make it our own.

The burl wood look calls to me!

28. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Might , just might try it on the old Ford. The ole lady says no , so i am.
    B.B.

29. Jdee

Jdee

The 1940 Plymouth, I found this pic in our files, does this look like it?
    The Burl is nice because it blends so easy and can be used on about anything.
    Jdee

Attached Files:

• 1940.jpg
      1940.jpg
      File size:
      124.7 KB
      Views:
  30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

My '53 Desoto has a blueish gray wood grain on the dash and mouldings. I'm not sure is I'd like to try and re-produce that or just paint it a solid color. I'm sure this depends on what upholstery it will get in the end.