Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I Go Billit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Jan 13, 2012.

1. This old dog followed me home.

[​IMG]
    Mill 09 by Bib Overalls, on Flickr

Hoping he has a few tricks left in him.

And no, it is not for making billit. But I did get your traditional rear end in a pucker for a moment, didn't I?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Nice
    very useful machine

3. Tank

Tank

Man, wish one of those would follw me home!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

You are a lucky guy! Hope you got some hold down fixtures.

5. oh man, I thought this was going to be a flamefest....

Now, get busy crankin' out hot rod parts!

6. Nice Score!

A buddy of mine out here was given (free) a mill (not sure of the brand) and older Atlas tool room type lathe. :eek: They are still we put them, never touched again. :(

7. I was all set to say "FUCK NO" till I read your post.

Nice score!

8. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Nice score Steve! I know you will make something cool on it. Never can have too many toys!

9. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

That's one of the handiest machines you'll ever own. Even if you never learn how much more it can do, it will still be the best damn drill press you ever used.

10. big bad john

big bad john

....You lucky Dog......looks like you have a great shop to use it also

11. 5window

5window

To be honest, I have no problem with someone taking a hunk of metal (billet) and whittling out a part at home-no different to me than banging out sheet metal, casting your pistons at home ala Burt Monroe, or welding up something out of tubing.

My problem with billet stuff is that it's all machined by someone else in mass quantities and looks it. The "tradition" in traditional hotordding that I hold dear is making and fitting together car parts yourself.

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Cool...

A year or so from now, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.

13. No, you should go billet. :p

14. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

If you make yourself on your own mill HELL YES GO BILLIT
    these are great machines your going to love it!!!

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

You don't make billet, you start with a billet- just a chunk of metal. If you start with a billet and make something out of it yourself, now you have a part- and a pile of chips :p And no, I haven't used my drill press in a couple years- you get really spoiled. So you got a vice and power feed with it? My Bridgeport has that same feed on it. Do yourself a favor and cut some squares of 1/4" or better steel to put under the adjusting screws before you level it, so it doesn't vibrate itself into the concrete floor. And if you need one, you can find very nice HD phase converters on epay, made specifically for mill & lathe use, and very easy to install- I have this one on both my Bridgeport and my 16x60 South Bend- make sure you get the correct one for the hp of your motor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Static-...lectrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item56480bfacd

16. Cool-View

Cool-View

The trick is to make billet parts that don't look billet!

17. F&J

F&J

X2, I bought one a few years ago from them. And yes, use their specs to get the right one....this is one time where you don't want to buy the "next size up" from what they suggest...because it apparently won't work.

18. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

from moving several I know that was no easy task

dont tell the wife how nuch end mills cost

grats

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My secret fantasy, a lathe and a milling machine in the garage.

20. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

You just have to shop around- I haven't paid more than $10 for any of them- lots of guys at swap meets selling new surplus stuff cheap. Some of those long flexible-shank drill bits that came from Boeing are pretty slick- and they were $1 ea

21. robber

robber

How sweet is that! If you were to accidently come across an indexing head, you should get that too! With a vertical manual mill and an indexing head the sky is the limit! You are well on your way to cranking out some one off hot rod parts the way it was done "back in the day"! Nice going, I'm happy for you :)

22. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Wow, thought I was gonna have go get the popcorn.Thats a killer addition to the shop!! Anyone looking for a old Bridgeport for sale,send me a PM. NJ area

23. 201

For future refrence, High Quality Tools, Inc wwwhqtinc.com has every thing to fix or referbish Bridgeport mills. They own the rites to the after market parts. From the smallest spring to whole castings, they have it.