Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Ford Parts Inventory

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 455HOGT37, Jan 6, 2012.

1. This a killer old hot rod.....I got to watch this one come back to life.

2. jambottle

jambottle

putting all sentiment aside.And looking at all the work involved in redoing your old hotrod.you would be maybe further ahead and end up with a much more drivable car if you,tested the waters,as to what kind of offers you would get for all your parts. Plus copys of all the old pics..If the proceeds would buy you a new brookville body and rolling chassie ++.Than a piece of hot rod history is saved and you get the car you envision for yourself.Maybe Brookville themselves might be interested in a trade.I think the owner is a collector of vintage 32 hot rods.Just my 2 cents worth

3. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

In this case, there is no way to put sentiment aside. Perhaps if Dad had purchased this car at a swap meet in the 70's I might feel different. The fact that he bought this at 18, built and drove it...

...It's going to take a lot more than a new B'ville!

4. Did this car come out of Minnesota, or are you from around this part of the country? Maybe some Mn. hambers will recognize it? Any way I look at it, its still badass!!

5. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I don't think that what he's looking for. Further behind with a brookville the way I see it.

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

At 6'4", I'd have a hard time keeping it channelled, but my 2 pennies say build it clean as you can, the way dad had it. Channelled, tail lights and headlight stands as they are but 'restored' for lack of a better term. Don't drop the axle, just do springs and a wheel/tire rake.
    I'd even leave the pedal welds, just sand them a bit before paint. It's all those details that make it unique and special.
    I'd start with looking for laquer paint that color and researching the car parts, the how-tos here and in the references mentioned.

7. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

Yep, Thief River Falls. Mom and Dad both born and raised. They moved to California in the early 60's.

8. Bitchin' roadster and an even cooler history and story behind the car. It reminds me alot of my late father's '32 roadster I've been slowly putting together for the last seven years. As for how to build the car there's no right or wrong answer. Remember all cars evolve over time as you use them, break them, and repair them. So don't think of it as a time capsile frozen in time, but more as a tribute to your father, the roadster, and it's history. While some may not think it's historically significant to hot rodding, in the end it's historically significant to you and that's all that matters.

I still have a ton of vintage original '32 Ford parts and pieces and I would love to help you piece back together you dad's roadster. Let me know if there's any parts or pieces that will help you complete your build. Good luck with the build, I'll definitely be following it along.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. adam401

adam401

Wow, that car and the pictures are amazing. Do what you want but your Dad nailed it in the 50's. You should really hang out a little bit and be real damn sure you want to change the car before you start. Lots of people try to build a car with the stance and proportions that you already have laid out before you. Its very cool to own a survivor, I wouldn't be too quick to turn it into just another duece like you see at cruise night.

10. HotRod33

HotRod33

Everyone has an opinion for you.... It was your dads car and you grew up around it and now it is your car. I have my dads old 33 pickup that he got in 1952. He chopped it 4 inches and channeled it 5 inches and put a 50 ford dash in it. He never finished it and when I got it I did unchannel it because I couldn't sit in the cab, I am too tall. He had told me he wanted to cut out that 50 dash because he didn't cut it down right. I keep the dash as it was because that's how dad had it. My point is change what you want on the car but keep some of the things that he did to it. Get it running and driving and smile everytime you drive it... Dad will be right there with you. HR33

11. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

Thanks very much for the words and the offer of parts support. Your thread was one of the very first I posted to on the HAMB... Though it took me until today to realize our respective fathers passed within a month of each other.

I wonder if they have found each other yet - if so, they're probably sitting around telling lies to each other! :D

12. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread. I'm amazed at the response. Good stuff, very positive.

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

We need to find which magazine your motor was on the cover of. Give us about what year this took place and any details that you can remember again.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Man this is unbelievable ….. you are so lucky to have your dads roadster.
    I swear id do just about anything to find my dads 50’s hot rod.

IMO if it was mine it would go back just the way it was…...but if you must you could always put a Columba in the back for some low RPM highway drivability.

15. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

I've looked a little bit... OK, the story was the engine was in the Azussa Anteater which set a class record on the salt, and it was this car that was on the cover of Hot Rod or Car Craft in 50-51 ish. Dad bought the engine for his 48 when he was in the Air Force which would have been around 1955, so 50-54 is a good time frame.

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

There is a thread called The best HOT ROD magazine cover of the first decade, do a search. It will show all the covers for Hot Rod magazine in that time frame of 50 or 54.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  17. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

Thanks.

Not on the cover, but it looks like the Azusa Anteater is in the May, 1952 edition.

Can't find a picture... Anyone have a copy laying around they can look through?

18. kiwi88

kiwi88

So many choices but an enviable task none the less. Our fathers having passed can still play such a big part in our lives. I agree with Hotrod 33 and I'm sure which ever way you go will make your dad just as happy, and what a way to hounor his memory. Since my dad died I've spent the last 13 years looking for his 39 dodge that he sold when I was much younger but sadly to no avail. Good luck with the build and make sure you keep this thread ticking over.

19. 32-cabriolet

32-cabriolet
    from Gilbert Az

Hi, I maybe be able to help some here, I have found pictures of the "Anteater" in Mechanix Illustrated Jan 1951. I am not sure IF this is the same as the "Azusa Anteater". I have been looking for info on a "anteater" race car for some time, since I was told the Halibrand QC that is under my 32 now, was in a car called the Anteater & race on the slat flats. The 2 pages attached is all the info I have been able to find.

Attached Files:

20. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

Have you seen this thread? No pics of the QC, but a bit more info to go on.

21. Looks Great! Good Luck!

22. Carter

Carter

Anything new with this project?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

23. He posted in January looking for carpet for his Caddy. HRP

24. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

Hi gang. Long time away but wanted to follow- up with a progress report. There has been no progress! That said, the 32 is still safe, still waiting for me to get my ass retired and spend some time.

Picture from 5 minutes ago:

IMG_20240114_091341320.jpg

Happy to have "rediscovered" the site!

SS327, mvee33, rod1 and 7 others like this.
  25. titus

titus

Unfortunately all of the photos youve -posted on this post are gone, alot of posts on here are suffering from lost photos lately, its a bummer

SS327 and The37Kid like this.
  26. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

Agreed about the lost pictures. Makes it tough to establish context. I will try rebuild them as much as possible now that it looks like the site itself hosts to content.

stillrunners, titus and SS327 like this.