Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1960 Edsel project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zomb-E, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

SKIRTS OR NO SKIRTS? BTW ITS STILL ON JACKS SO ITS A LITTLE HIGH :cool:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looks cool with them ! but also cool with out .

3. BEAR

BEAR

4. Absolutely Skirts!

5. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

skirts all the way makes it look lower

6. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Skirts when and if its dropped. They look terrible otherwise. But you did a great job, all parts look new now, and in a relativley short time too. Thumbs UP! i dont like the wide whites thou, but its your car and your doin it great justice.

7. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I'm not a huge fan of skirts. They are cool in the accessory collector world,.... right up there with visors and window mounted AC units. I think the Edsels are rare enough that they don't really need to be pimped out with bolt on stuff. A big part of it too depends on the over all look you are going for.

I am trying to focus my build in that cool era of late 50s and early 60s. Not to over play Watsons name but that early Bellflower cruiser style. I haven't been able to find too many pics of cool Edsels from that time. I don't know if guys were running skirts on 60 Edsels then or not. Seems from what I have seen the skirts were really popular in the early 50s on kustoms. By the early 60s the cars seemed to speak for themselves with only minor changes and wild paint taking over where chops and more extreme body work had been the goal a few years earlier.

Again, that's just from what I have seen. I bet someone could find a billion pics to prove me wrong and if so that's cool. My preference would be no skirts, lowered, nice paint, maybe mild shave nose deck, and a simple tuck n roll interior.

That car will speak volumes with the quality of work so far. Clean and simple has always impressed me more than just throwing parts at something.

Lower the damn thing already. 3in blocks with all the hardware were $35 at OReillys the other day!

8. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Not trying to hog up too much space here.....

I guess it's kinda dorky (but it is an Edsel thread). Another inspiration for mine has been Bolanders Impala from American Graffiti. Clean and simple. Just needs to be way lower. Shaved handles, tuck n roll, hot motor, custom paint with those red highlights. He ain't putting skirts on.

Just my opinion, give me an hour and I'll probably change it and spout off how kool they are. Either way, I'm still impressed with how it looks. You got alot of heart and balls to take on a 60.

9. Man I love Edsels, great score. Looks like it's comming along nicely. I think the skirts look good. But don't listen to us, it's your car. Make it yours.

10. skirts look good!!

11. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

haha trust me I cant wait to lower it, just gotta find the time to do it.
    yeah Iv always liked skirts more early 50's cars.
    I think either way the car will look cool, and its not like we are talking paint here, I can take the skirts off and put em back on whenever so im not that worried about making a decision right now, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

12. MissPrint

MissPrint

Hot DAYUM!!! :eek:

Your 60 is in such better shape than mine. . .wanna trade? ;)

I'll be hittin' ya up for tips as I get to work on mine this summer. . .funds permitting, of course.

Seriously, fantastic work. . .watching this one with extreme envy and interest!!

13. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

I'd be glad to help ya out with tips. There are some things the 60 edsel maintenance manual even leaves out that i had to figure out myself so youll definately need it! lol I have several connections with people who own 60 edsels near me so if you need parts I night be able to help you out with that too. Good Luck!

14. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

So just a quick update guys, Im currently looking for a garage or small shop to rent out to work on my car for the next few months. I have a lead right now that I think will work out but we'll see.

15. glad I caught this at the top
    what a cool orphan child

hope your garage thing works out

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Nice car. Man the work your doin to that is top notch.
    My kids are learning alot from these threads. Do the big stuff now so all you worry about in the future is the little annoying stuff. Then just dont be annoyed.

17. greg

greg

I've missed this thread till today., Im subscribed!!
    Great work. I will be watching with interest.:)

18. big M

big M

Nice looking '60 2-door sedan. Looks like the body is in great shape also!

I've had 5 '60 Edsels in the yard here, just have the remains of two 4-door sedans now.
    Hope your move to a new garage goes well for you.

---John

19. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

Big M!
    Hey I actually baught a trunk lid and a gas tank from your yard off of a 60' you had there.
    My buddy and I are planning another trip there soon.

20. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Those are on my buddys property, lucky ya didn't get shot.

21. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

You get a shop yet? What's the latest?

22. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

From one Edsel lover to another, great job on the restoration. I'll be watching for the finish product on this one.

23. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

No word on the shop yet, still waiting to hear back from the guy. Just got the correct control arm bushings pressed in yesterday and hoping to get the front suspension on this weekend. Ill post pics as progress goes on!
    and thanks BruceVE!

24. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

Me dropping off the old 292 Y block that was in the edsel at the wrecking yard, a couple of asses seen checking out the new addition to their yard. [​IMG]

25. greg

greg

That would be a new one on me at a junk yard.lol

26. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

haha its a small junk yard owned and run by one guy, he specializes in alot of older vehicles and as you can see keeps all of his animals in the yard. :D

27. Nice find, that's gonna be one sweet ride!

28. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

That's alot better ass than the 2 ft of sweaty butt crack I saw on my last outing to the junk yard. You have accomplished something I can't do though... Get rid of parts. I would have somehow justified keeping that old block " just in case....".

Front end bolted back together yet?

29. Zomb-E

Zomb-E

I considered keeping it, but the guy took $100 off of a 390 I got from there in exchange for the stuck block. Plus that particular junk yard doesnt get public traffic, you have to call the guy and set up an appointment to look around. so im sure if I go back 5 years later, the block will be sitting in the same spot I dropped it off lol. its a pretty cool yard, specializes in pre-70's cars so if you need it, hes probably got it.
    We got the front suspension on but thats it.
    I keep visioning it complete and all back together, its going to look so cool.