Register now to get rid of these ads!

C4 Trans Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Damien51, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Damien51

Damien51
    from Austin, Tx

My extension housing on my early 70's C4 trans is leaking, right where the tail shaft inserts into it. I need to change my bushing and my seal for sure. My questions are do I need to remove the extension housing completely off of the actual trans to change the bushing? Also what is the best way to remove and re-install the seal and bushing? Lastly, is there anything other than the seal and bushing inside the extension housing that may need to be replaced to stop the leak? Thanks for any help you guys can give a transmission novice.

Mike H.

2. Buckster

Buckster

There is a tool that is driven up into the housing (after the seal is removed) it has singers with barbs that will grab the bushing's end. That tool has a jacking screw that will contact the end of the transmission's shaft. As you run that jacking screw in it will extract the bushing from the housing.

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Not to hard to drive out if you have a socket or pipe the same size to use as a driver. Any good machine shop will r @ r it for you cheap too.

4. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Best and proper way to replace the bushing and seal is to remove the tail housing off the transmission case.

5. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

After you get it off the trans take it to a local trans shop that is not too dirty and have them install the bushing and seal, chances are better they will get it phased correctly and get the seal in with out losing the garter spring. The surface of your slip yolk needs to be smooth, like a crank shaft journal.

6. butch27

butch27

What if the trans is still in the car?

7. Damien51

Damien51
    from Austin, Tx

Hey Buckster, what is the name of the tool? Also where can I pick one up? I am a DIY kind of guy and would like to take a crack at it myself before I take it to the trans shop.

8. Damien51

Damien51
    from Austin, Tx

Hey Butch27, I did some looking around and AtoZ tools out of Illinois makes a tool specific to removing the bushing and seal from the extension housing while it's still on the vehicle. It's pricey however. 103$ and some change. Might be worth the extra time removing the housing completely and putting the cabbage towards something else. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

9. butch27

butch27

Maybe Autozone loans it out when you buy the bushing??

10. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Yeah,,,,,,,,hope that works out for you.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Are you sure that your leak is in fact the seal and bushing? Years ago I had a leak on a manual transmission vehicle and couldn't figure out the leak, even though I replaced the seal. Turns out the driveshaft yoke has a freeze plug type cover at the back of the slip yoke (end closest to the actual u-joint itself). If those plugs are not there, the transmission will leak. Just a thought.

12. Damien51

Damien51
    from Austin, Tx

The leak started recently, so I don't think that is the case. I have decided to just take it into a trans shop and let someone take a look at the yolk, u's, and extension seal and bushing. I get aggravated with automatics and would rather someone who knows more than me deal with it. Thanks for the suggestion though.