Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stickshifts'(Jamaica Plain ) John Dunne Passes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, Jan 9, 2012.

1. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

John Dunne, a member of the 1950's hot rod club ' The Stickshifts' from Jamaica Plain, Mass., passed away last night after a long illness. The club was formed in 1952 from an era when guys had to
    handmake everything for their hot rods usually in garages with no heat or a/c . John along with his brother Arthur and friends turned out some nice rods and customs. John had a Model A coupe and then a purple T bucket with a blown 56' Pontiac with 6 carbs and a torsion bar front end.he then built a Model T delivery wagon. Being a finished carpenter and cabinet maker, he handmade the body.The inside had beautifully curved hand formed wood. He still owned the T up at the time of his passing. Later John got into model railroading and hand made many items. I'm going to miss John, but glad I knew him though. John was 72.

2. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like he was a real interesting guy. I also like model trains, I'm a carpenter and a car guy. Wish I had met him.

3. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

X 2 to that. Do you have any pics of his cars to share in his memory ?
    On another note, I spend a little time down your way. My wife grew up in Wollaston and her sister lives on Sagamore st. in N. Quincy. Small world.

4. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Thanks 327, a lot in common with him. I also like trains too. They say it's common with car guys.

5. Sorry for his passing. I actually grew up in Wollaston too (graduate HS in 1985) and I lived on Kemper Street.

I bet that guy had a heckuva accent if he was from JP.

6. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Hey Bad Penny,
    I grew up in Jamaica Plain but my wife is from Wollaston. Also, we know the Wirtz family from Sagamore St.

7. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Hey Pro Stock,
    We all had that Jamaica Plain accent, couldn't hide it, lol!

8. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

The purple T is on the hamb in a group of 50's pictures,I'll have to find it.

9. I knew two guys who grew up in JP, they'd be 44 and 47, Jim Greenberg and George O'Neill, but not car guys as far as I know.

I've been in Chi since the late 80's but when I see JP typed out my accent instantly changes haha. I went to BC High, class of 1985. But my sisters and I all went to Beechwood Knoll and then Central.

10. John replaced all of the wood in the roof of my 29 chrysler by hand .All of the splices were done by hand between his legs. Great carpenter,great guy. John you will be missed. Moe

11. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose