Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963-1965 Buick Riv, guys who have bagged and slammed them need advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Thunderboy, Jan 12, 2012.

1. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

I am def doing an early Riviera this winter and I need advice as I am planning my parts list now.

I know some guys use the ridetech air bag kit, others use cheaper versions and some use the Jamco lowering kits.

Here is what I am dying to know.

Between the Jamco and the Airbags how does the ride quality compare between these two methods? I live in the NYC area and I honestly do not want to bounce all over the road like a rice burner civic with cut springs.

Have any of you guys driven or compared both methods to make comments?

Now for the guys who really know their air bags, how low can you actually drive the car with the car dropped or you cant drive it fully dropped down?

visually from checking photos the bags make the car much lower than the Jamco kit which I like but the bags are 3 times the price + much more labor for me and whomever helps me.

much appreciated any input you guys can give so i can chose right the first time around without bleeding my wallet.

2. sideshow01

sideshow01
    from Dirty Jerz

Hey Man,

I've got a 65 Riv, with shockwaves up front, and standard bags out back. I also live pretty close. When I bought the car, I actually lived in Brooklyn (before it was bagged), so I know the driving conditions very well. I now live in jersey, and the roads aren't much better.

I went with the ride tech kit, because at the time it seemed like they were the best quality out there. The air manifold alone is a beautiful piece! It rides REALLY well on good pavement and takes jug handles like its on rails! however, since I bagged it (around 2006), I've had to replace the control module, because the old one burned out. There was a recall from Ride-tech and they offered a 100% refund toward the purchase of the new control... the new control, however was twice the price. I also BROKE one of the shockwaves! Those things are like $800 apiece nowadays! to ride-techs credit, they replaced it for me at no charge, even though I was out of the warranty. They asked if I was driving it with too little air, cuz that would cause a problem. They couldn't believe that I actually broke one! I explained that I simply cannot drive the car on Jersey roads unless it's pumped up... that the roads are just too rough. I would also look into some stiffer rear shocks than what they offer, cuz it's a little too bouncy in the ass end for my taste... something I keep meaning to do myself.

I don't drive the car every day, so all in all, I really like the simplicity of the kit. It's more money, but it went in real easy (you can do it in a weekend). Ride tech seems to stand behind their product too. It rides good for the way I use it, but if you're doing more that farting around on the weekends I'd seriously re-consider the stock Riv suspension. It's understandably hard to weigh the options when they look so bad ass on the ground though.

Hope that helps!
    -BK

3. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

thanks for the info man im gonna PM you maybe we can catch up and you can show me your ride and layout.

4. bigbadcad

bigbadcad
    from ga

thunderboy,

my 65 has Jamco springs, 3' all the way round plus i cut half af a coil to get to my liking. Ive had bags on other cars and the expense of a good kit plus parts always seem to fail has turned me from them. my riv rides very smooth plus it handles well to. i cant lay frame when im stopped but i ride lower cruising than airbag cars can, and thats what its all about anyway. hope this helps

5. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

thanks for the input man, much appreciated and to be honest I want to spend more on custom paint and some tru spokes rather than lots of dough on air bags, i might try the jamco kit but i have to see when i get working on the project.

6. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done several. All conventional bags, and good quality shock absorbers. Each had an outstanding ride. You can DIY it. It is not that hard. Plan on an adjustable panhard bar for the rear. You can drive it low, if it has been aligned at ride height. All the way down, and you will touch metal.

A note on Shockwaves: I refuse to install them. I have now removed them from 12 cars. In every case, the customer complained about harsh ride, leakage and/or failure. You do not want them. They are a waste of your money and time.

8. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

your car sits sweet i also hear the stuff you used is the best you can get. Can you PM me with the part info and approx cost you spent.

been hearing more and more issues with the ridetech stuff to be honest that was another concern of mine was to make the system reliable.

9. SIC98

SIC98

Having had alot of stuff on bags for years, I can say for sure I will not be bagging my Rivi, between being stranded half a dozen times, spending tons of $, and frame damage from being an idiot I really don't want to tear this car up, I know me, if it goes low it rides low and "me likea de sparks!" so I can see the writing on the wall, Rivi's look oh soo sweet "sittin in da weeds" but I'm goin' Jamco 3's all the way baby! JMHO, Brian