Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Ford Parts Inventory

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 455HOGT37, Jan 6, 2012.

1. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Paying attention to details will never serve you wrong..........doesn't have to be Gucci but should be well done.....

2. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Great car your dad was smart to never let it go. Keeping it channeled would be the right thing to do BUT you should consider bringing it up a few inches. The more the body is channeled the harder it is to drive some cars here in the East were channeled so much your legs would be straight out almost flat on the floor it was very difficult to even push in the clutch. The cast iron finned head you found is very rare since it fits the 8BA motor its going to be imposible to find a match.

3. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Mike,

Fix the fender bead that was hammered in, use the correct offset wheel like you know you should. Remove the broken bolts, make it right, Dad would be proud.

Make it a highboy if you want to, that way you'll get the legroom you will desperately need to enjoy driving it for any decent length of time. Dad won't mind if you rebuild his old jalopy to your tastes.

If it was mine I'd leave the front axle stock along with the unsplit wishbone and just do a little work on the spring, I wouldn't lower the shit out of it.

Keep the drivetrain all early Ford.

Glad to see you're getting into it now.

Bart.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Congrats on having your dad's old hot rod..........and basically like he drove it "back in the day". I also want to compliment you on not rushing head long into any modification OR restoration of his old car. The longer you hang with the old girl the more she will "speak" to you about the right direction you should take. For myself I would be referencing any memories I had of your dad and see if you get any clear direction concerning how he might have done the rebirth if he were still here. Would he be influenced by any of the "advancements" that have taken place in the hobby since he last drove the car or would he be steadfast in redoing it exactly like the first time? Only you would have an insight to his possible thought process. If you had a very close relationship with him then I would be inclined to redo the car much like he had it but with appropiate safety upgrades. On the other hand if your relationship was like my father and I the idea of making changes that were my ideas alone would be more in line with what I would do. Just having his old car to use as a starting point for "my" ride would be sufficient and telling everyone that it used to be my dad's, only redone to suit me, would be OK.

Frank

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

kickass.... that is COOL!!! Oh man, the engine sounds wicked too!

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Yes I do. Most people over restore a car(make it better than new), somtimes the imperfections are what makes a car stand out(in a good way).

7. There is probably a cool story as to why the lenses dont match.
    This is so cool !

8. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

Well, since I grew up with this car as the "someday" father/son project, we talked about it often. His tastes were all over the map to include a full fendered rod typical of the late 70's/early 80's (dumped Mustang II front, Jag rear, chrome wires, etc...), traditional highboy, and even back to bone stock! I do know that he was somewhat embarassed at the level of quality put into the first build, and would certainly "do it right" the next time. Though he originally liked the look of the full frame channel, in later years he felt it was just too crude of a modification (even if done "right"), and the body should go back on the rails. The last configuration we planned was a traditional highboy with the flattie and Buick brakes.

Now, having said all that, I'm sure I have the "green light" from Dad to build the car however I see fit. While I'm sure he would be the least happy with "restoring" the car back to the 1951 configuration (he'd want me to "fix" his mistakes), he would also appreciate (as I do) the value of preserving a slice of hot rodding history.

So it really comes down to the choice between two important factors: Preserve history, or build the car I want to drive. I am influenced in this decision process in no small part because of the number of "significant" Pontiacs that were destroyed by me or my buddies back in the 80's when we were too dumb to know better... I need to stop and really think things through.

Anyway, I appreciate all the support. :D

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

One thing nobody has asked, did you Dad ever race the car? If so, and there are records you could restore it to its as raced condition and show it in AACA events along with others I'm sure. Just another idea to add to the mix. Bob

10. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

The car was never raced. The closest thing to a competition history is the engine's former life in the Azusa Anteater with a prior owner.

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad was of a different generation and mind set, and he wasn't concerned with history; he liked his cars to be finished as well as he could manage. I suspect your Dad may have felt the same way; based on your comments, I'd fix the wheel rub marks and the cutting torch channel job.

12. Given that the car doesn't have any really noteworthy history - beyond being a car that your dad built - I think you should build the car that you want to drive. Make it "your" car, much like how your dad built the car he wanted to back in the 50s. You can still pay homage to it's history as a 50s hot rod while building the car to suit your desires.

13. jambottle

jambottle

"NO NOTEWORTHY HISTORY"??
    I guess i place more importance on these timecapsule cars.especially 32 roadsters that are sitting unchanged since the fiftys.Still in the same family and with lots of original photos etc.I guess when you have grown up during the fifties;and realize now, how you should not have let your old hot rod 32`s slip away.i personally think it should be put back togather as per the early pics.
    But that`s just my opinion and i fully agree that the owner has every right to build it as he sees fit.I guess i`m just an old fossil trying to preserve a little hot rod history.

14. It has history, but it's not "noteworthy" history to anyone outside the family in the grand scheme of things. A car like the Doane Spencer roadster is "noteworthy" '32 due to its innovation and craftsmanship. Not to offend, but this roadster in question, was just another 1950's high-school hot rod.

My father has a time-capsule '32 Tudor that was owned and essentially unchanged by a deceased friend for over 40 years, but doesn't mean that it's a historically noteworthy car. It may be "noteworthy" to my family and some others in our area, but beyond that, it's just another old '32 that was stuffed away in the back of the garage/shed/barn for decades on end.

15. jambottle

jambottle

No offence taken my friend.I guess i am proably blinded by the fact it is a real HOT ROD, channeled east coast style!The west coast guys out built us east coast guys proably 50 to 1 in the #`s of hot rods built.They had the weather,rust free bodies,lot of big name shops and many more big time
    shows.Most of our cars were built on dirt floors,with no money and only a west coast hot rod magazine for inspiration.a stock 32 is nice but this is a real hot rod.I bet there was snow blowing under those barn doors,before it was finished.That`s why it gets my vote ,to be saved as built.

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I hope what I just read is only thought by just a small handfull of people on this board. I`m still shaking my head on what was written in the last paragraph. Just another old car sitting for decades untouched in the back of a shed. Hello. Then why are the barn find threads so popular on the HAMB. Just a thought, If you are planning on making major changes, modern motor, a better handling car you can cruise dowm the interstate in. This is just a suggestion, It would be money ahead to buy a new frame and a new steel body and start from scratch. I`m sure sombody would make you a hell of an offer for it. Does anybody else agree with me.

17. F&J

F&J

The old lost unknown hotrods are finally getting their rightful place of respect and interest.

Proof of that is to see how many hits are on this thread. try to match that count with a fresh built, black 32 highboy with a crate motor, 5 speed and repro halibrands....ain't gonna happen.

18. CUTITUP53chevy

CUTITUP53chevy

wow very kool if it were mine i would bolt it back together like it was in 51 cant wait to see this one get built back up

19. yep!

20. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

Trust me people - this car will never be built as a "contemporary" piece. Whatever I decide to do it will be in line with traditional methods. The only reason Dad and I were considering the T-5 is because it is one of the few components on a roadster that can be hidden from obvious view. After thinking about it a bit more, that's off the table too.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the billet rods too, but since they're still stamping out new bodies, no rush.

Anybody remember the cartoon of the chopped 33 three window that was on the old PAW ads? I want to build THAT someday...

...After this one though.

21. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Now I'm jealous! Build it and drive the hell out of it, then pass it on to your kids!

22. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Threads like this are why I enjoy being on the HAMB so much. That it was your Dad's makes the story so cool. I would build it how he tried to build it "In the day" (when tools,welders,money were much more scarce)
    clean up things like the busted bolts and tire rub damage that a High school kid would have 'gotten around to' someday.
    an awesome 'time capsule', you are a lucky man to have it.

23. You mis-understood what was written. Simply because a car sat in a barn untouched for decades doesn't mean it has "noteworthy history" that would make it "wrong" for someone to change it into something they would find enjoyable to drive. By "noteworthy history", I mean a car that had some sort of impact or influence on the culture, was a successful/recognizable show car or race car, or similar. Cars like "Joe Smith's dad's old 1950's hot rod" or "Bud's B" (see below) don't fall in to that catagory, in my opinion, unless "Joe Smith's dad" or Bud were Spencer, Barris, or the like.

In 30-40 years when people start finding stuffed away '80s/90s billet rods with tweed interiors and pastel paint jobs, would you have the same opinion that the car should be "restored" to the way it was when built? They'd be time-capsule cars with "history"...

As someone who has first-hand experience with a "barn find" '32, I'm able to speak with a little different perspective than a lot of folks here on the HAMB. If we'd kept my father's car 100% as it was found, with just enough refreshing to make it driveable, then I know the car would see far fewer miles than it does now. Instead, the car was partially re-built to pay homage to an era past, has been wildly popular, and is something that's fun to drive. It's still known as "Bud's B", but we were able to make it our own in the process. I'm pretty sure that Bud wouldn't have a problem with what we did, and in fact, would probably be pretty damn pleased to see the car was finally hot rodded - something he'd planned on doing 40+ years ago.

What's the better way to pay tribute to Dad? Rebuild the car to how he built it at age 18, crude welds, bashed in quarter panel bead, and all? Or rebuild it in to what he really wanted, but probably couldn't due to his budget and/or skill level at the time? The only person who can decide that is the person who knows "Dad". The rest of us can just provide our own $.02.

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Then dont put a T-5 in it.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Here's the story of Bud's B: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67751

I get what Mike (my brother) is trying to say, but I do disagree with him a little bit. I'm a guy who hates to see a well-earned patina "cleaned up", no matter who's car it was. I think the particular roadster in this post should remain as much as possible like it was when originally built. If things are changed (raised up and patch the wheelwells) then only paint the bare steel. Leave the rest.

If it gets blasted clean, bodyworked, and painted fresh, what's to show it's any different from a brand new Brookville body?

And GOD NO don't cut the K-member for a T-5. :)

26. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

gonna be a cool car channeled or not, would be neat if it got put back how it was in the fifties-I'd freshen up the chassis and leave the old blue paint-you have a real hotrod survivor there! put it together and have some fun!

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Ditto! To put this in perspective, if a 69 Yenko Camaro is found worn and weathered. Make it driveable and leave it as is. If you restore it, People will think it`s just another clone. What did Bud`s B look like before it was changed. 455HOGT37- You have a piece of Hot Rod History. Any hot rodders dream is to have a 32 Ford Roadster and your dad built one in 1953 in northern Minnisota. And you actually still have it. How many people can say that. And the remarkable thing is, it is still unchanged after all these years. Congragulations.

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I believe there may be a lot of oldtimers around that wouldn't mind running through a 5-speed box in their old build. It's just the natural progression of an a fine old rod to be modernized here and there for better performance, steering, braking.
    Don't get me wrong, I love an old hot rod that's just like Paw-Paw built it as much as the next guy but if Paw-Paw had kept it AND kept driving it He would likely have improved it just a little or a lot along the way.

29. Dyce

Dyce

I have my father's 40 Chevy sedan. He died 15 years ago and the car sat for 10 years in storage. After I got it I replaced the rear springs and notched the frame to drop the rear (just about lost my life on that one!!). Dad told me he never liked the stance. To high in the rear. I drove it a couple years before I did the springs and it drove a little crazy because of the caster, and the front bumper guards hit alot....

I replaced the wiper motor for electric and hid a radio. I found a 40 sedan on e-bay 25 miles from home with 32,000 miles on it. It was stored in a barn for many years. Last driven in 1985, but that was a 2 day project to get it running, and they stuck it back into the barn.... Well the barn fell and the 40 tried to catch it.... They let dead 40's lie for a little to long. The car rotted from the inside out. The reason I purchased the car is it had 4 mint fenders the same color. I replaced the fenders, hood, and right rear window on my Dad's 40 with that car.

One more thing I changed. It ran like crap. I knew he put the engine together before we had the machine shop, and it was a flattop 350 with 441 heads. I checked the valve adjustment and a couple of the exhaust valves were tight. I built up some 441 cores I had with 2.02 and 1.6 valves, hard exhaust seats, screw in studs and guide plates, milled to 67cc, and a mild port. He ran a stock cam, and I left it. But I did put 1.6 rocker on it. It runs and drives great!! It needs tires now, but I know he would love everything I did!!

30. 455HOGT37

455HOGT37
    from Mojave, Ca

If it was as simple as just blowing 50 years of dust off and screwing the car back together, my decision would be much easier. However, there is some significant rust repair that needs to happen on this car no matter which way I go. It may not show up on the pictures, but essentially the whole lower 3 inches of the body needs to be replaced. So to run the “as built” configuration, I’m going to have to replace the body rails and lower 3 inches of the sheetmetal , then hack some of it back off like dad did. At that point, much of dads “handiwork” is gone anyway, so it would be easier to just repair the body and put it back on top of the rails.

I’m still a long way from the final decision, but keep in mind it’s not as clear cut as the pictures may lead you to believe.<O:p</O:p