Register now to get rid of these ads!

351 windsor rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JDiGio1960, Jan 4, 2012.

1. fbama73

fbama73

This is correct info- another reason to sell off the C6 for some extra cash if you're not planning to go insane with building the engine.

2. George

George

In 69-70 a 352-2V would have had an FMX, a 351-4V a C-6. by the late 70s they were so smogged up, decompressed & detuned that Ford, desparate to meet CAFE standards did start running C-4s in them. Probably need to compare HP/torque numbers on yours vs 69-70 & late 70s numbers before selling the C-6.

3. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

A c4 can be set up to handle just as much power as a c6 can. I ran a midly reworked one (clutches and a hardened input shaft) behind a 13:1 compression 466 cubic inch big block running on alky and through 14" wide slicks with a full locker and never had any issues with it. Do yourself a favor and ditch the huge heavy c6.

4. blackedout

blackedout
    from illinois

I am in the same boat as you. I have $500 in machine work .30 over, line hone, deck was fine, crank polish, and $100 for new pistons. I have another $500 in rings beaerings, etc and a cam kit. Gonna be around $1500 before it's all back together but it will be a solid motor. It's also going in a 59 f100.

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

Everybody else is trying to help you spend your money. Listen to MeanGene.

Nothing is more traditional than putting a used engine in your hot rod:D

How do the plugs look? running nice on all eight, not oil fouled?

how's the exhaust ports look? wet with oil? or nice dry black?

Is it complete enough to fill it with water and run it on the floor?

6. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

It's not complete to run now.. it needs the starter, and alternator. also need a radiator for it and what not. the plugs are good, and it turns freely. good engine, just has a few more miles on it than i would like:p but im not getting it so i can drop it in and go. i want to upgrade the cams. and find a c4. my i6 is pulling just fine for now

7. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

i'm not going to bore mine, its going to be stock for the most part, besides the heads and cam. what are you doing for motor mounts?

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Mine was the same way. It was advertised on CL as being a 50,000 mile Ford reman engine for $ 600. I offered $400 and got it, but I knew it was going to need rebuilt from the external appearance of it. Must have been the hardest 50,000 miles a motor has ever seen. :rolleyes: But I wanted a roller cam motor and was willing to overlook the additional work and money to get one.

We were just talking about this the other night.........you used to be able to go to the wrecking yard and pull almost any motor, bolt it in your car, and go. Anymore the motors you find are high milage ones that need a complete rebuild to be ok.

Don

9. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

I have my i6 that is running just fine, besides the radiator needs some work, but other than that it works great. so hopefully i can pick the one up, throw in a new cam, and bolt on those gt40's and take my time on it to get it cherry.

10. tjm73

tjm73

They also made the 352 FE which is the same 4" bore and 3.5" stroke as the 351C, 351W and 351M.

11. Bigugly

Bigugly

Post some pics of your progress as it comes along. I always enjoy seeing someone's pics as the project progresses!

12. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

I most deffinetly will! its going to be a long term project, being that school and work are taking up my life! but i will for sure get a build thread going!

13. Bigugly

Bigugly

Post a link here is you start a new thread! Good luck!

14. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

bought the engine yesterday. came with a ton of extras. super excited to get this one rollin. will post a build thread on friday! thank you for all of your help everyone!