Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hyrdualic and cable clutch set ups!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by YoungGunn, Jan 9, 2012.

1. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Hey guys, Im leaning towards running a cable clutch set up and fabricating my own brackets, but I want to see what all of you have done for pedal assemblys and what fabrication has been done. Any and all input would be appreciated!

2. Davyj

Davyj

if you have swinging pedals,check out the hydraulic cyl and slave cyl from an 80's S10, there are lots of them out there, and they work fairly well.

3. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Thanks for the advice man. Ill keep that in mind if I go with overhung pedals. Im really wanting to do underfloor pedals though. Anyone have pictures of what they got/built?

4. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I used the pedal assy. from a 90s Mustang with the cable set up in my A Model Sedan...thats what I had. I was never pleased with it. Had a 2002 Mustang with the cable set up...always needed adjustment and was constantly a pain in my ass. I'm sure I won't go that way again. I think hydraulic is the way to go.

5. I used a modified truck bellhousing on my 270 Hemi with the stock hydraulic clutch. I mounted the MC behind the brake MC on the trans crossmember. I'm using 50 Ford pu pedal assy.

6. Heo2

Heo2

Go hydraulic. Easier to route the lines
    less pedal force no wire adjusting
    What engine /trans is you using
    and what car?

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you look at the early S-10 clutch pedals, they have a ratcheting mechanism, stay away from them. I had a 83 S-10 and had nothing but problems with the clutch pedal. I know that the 88 had a slave cylinder on the clutch pedal.

8. Dapostman

Dapostman

Chevy trucks in the 60s had a dual brake clutch cylinder.

9. 61falcon

61falcon

mustang pedal and cable with a T5 trans. works well in my Falcon.

10. i'm planing on hyd internal throw out bearing...no slave cylinder needed....just the master cylinder at the pedal.....no room in the fiat for it....i looked at alot of under the dash side mounted pedal master cylinder sets, cause i have no room in front of the pedals...nice units out there, and i liked the way the master cylinders are off to the side, not in front of the pedals....but they are out of my budget.....
    ..so i guess it has come down to building a hot rod on a average guys money, talent and using what ya can dig up........pedals are old fiat , floor mounted that i flipped upside down to hang them under the floor and put the brake/clutch master cylinders behind the pedals.........heres a shot of the pedal setup...been working on it the last evening or so after work

ped4.jpg

11. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Hey thanks for the pictures topolino kid. Im in the same boat. Speedway makes a pedal setup with both masters all ready to go, but I just dont want to pay that cash.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ive drivin and owned a coupe fox body mustangs and like the feel of the clutch, and D Russ on here did a thread on his install and it look simple enough to me.

With that said I am still leaning towards running a hydraulic master and slave. Im running a 390 FE with a T10 behind it.

Heres my question to you guys, if I make a bracket and mount the slave on the side cover side of the trans, will I need a push or a pull slave??

12. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Mustang pedals with a T-5 also. CJPONY parts sells a universal clutch cable for the T-5 to early model cars, A little pricey at $259. But it works well and is very adjustable for diffrent applications...

13. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Yeah man I never had to adjust any in my mustangs so it really should be the same concept right D-Russ?

14. mink

mink
    from CT

[​IMG]

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/32chevy/downsize-5.jpg

Im running a T5 camaro transmission. Hydraulic clutch sytem I made from a generic one from crap... well the place is located in Canada. He sells kits you weld your self. Prodducts great. Cost me 120 or so for the pedals and brackets. I modified the bracket, extending it so I could fit an xtra master cylinder.
    Running a corvette style master, a willwood master and a slave cylinder of a chevy 1500 truck. I made the slave bracket and modified the clutch folk.

15. lakester47

lakester47

Here's a pic of my set-up. It uses a Datsun 280Z clutch master cylinder and I fabbed the rest. Works well.

[​IMG]

16. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Hey thanks for the pictures guys!!

Hey Mink, do you happen to remmeber the place that you got your pedals and brackets from? In all reality I would like to get a pedal and bracket assembly and then use my own masters and slave and fab my own slave bracket much to what you did Mink.

17. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I would say pull, if the slave is behind the bellhousing. I think that they are usually in front and push.

18. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Okay thanks Fordcragar. I guess I just need to wait and see where the pivot point of my clutch fork is at. That will determine if I will need a pusher or puller.

19. mink

mink
    from CT

It was welderseries. I matched the slave cylinder to the wilwood master based upon the bore.

20. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Okay thanks mink! Thats what Ive been thinking about getting mine from. Did the clutch master go onto their bracket very easily?

21. mink

mink
    from CT

I bought parts to make a brake pedal assembly (bracket to bolt master up to, staight pedal, two tabs, two bushings). and an additional straight pedal, tab, two bushings.

i found a piece of 3/16 c channel that i was able to cut to shape to weld to the bracket. What i neededed was to widen his bracket. I cut and drilled the needed holes for the wilwood.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  22. mink

mink
    from CT

[​IMG]

Had some clearance issues with brass fitting and steering bracket. So I later pie cut my clutch fork, bent it welded it back, and was able to move slave/slave bracket closer to rear of car

None of my bracketry has been set in stone yet. this is one of the last projects i left off on so... but it should give you an idea

I bought this from that site i mentioned earlier

1 Master Cylinder Bracket
    3or4 Master Cylinder Bracket Pivot Plate
    2 Brake Pedal Arm, Straight get the ready to weld option
    4 Brake Pedal Bushing Half - Delrin

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  23. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Back in my circle track days I put together a very affordable hydraulic clutch set up. I fabbed a pedal and mounting bracket. The (new) master cylinder was for a compact pick up. The slave came from a junk yard. It was off compact PU as well. Which PU's they were for/off of I don't recall. I fabbed a bracket for the slave out of angle iron. The set up was a very affordable and reliable. The entire set up cost $17. That included the new MC. I had a couple of hours in fab and installation. It wasn't as purty as a Neal set up but it worked well and it was a darn sight cheaper.

24. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Okay thanks guys for the options! Anymore pictures of pedal assemblies and custom cross members??