Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Outstanding, TOO much time on his hands, BUT I didn't see piston rings or an ignition. Runs on compressed air???????

2. sideways27

sideways27

I apologize for the late response.
    Just for the records and you history buff&#8217;s, I thought I would throw this out there. The Hoffman&#8217;s and the Becks were very close friends and still are. They raced together for many years. The Becks were always #7 (Sonny&#8217;s Car) & #11 Harold Sr&#8217;s car. In 1959 Bud Tingelstad was 3<SUP>rd</SUP> in driver points (Mid West) USAC and he must have wanted to have #3 on the Beck sprint car that was built for him in 1958, so in 1960 the car was painted white with the #3. I am sure that Sonny did not want to loose his #7 as he loved that number so he must have asked Gus if he would run it in 1960 so he could have it back in 1961. In 1961 Sonny repainted the car to the 1959 colors and placed his #7 back on the car. Back then racers were all family and helped each other out.
    As for the tube frame size I checked my 1958 single tube car and it is 2&#8221; with heavy wall.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  3. Fella,s
    Thanks for the help on the frame rail size,s

Attached Files:

• Buzz.jpg
      Buzz.jpg
      File size:
      387.2 KB
      Views:
  4. bballjones

bballjones

Howdy, I enjoy reading this and decided that I would contribute. I recently found this picture of my Grandpa's (Dave Bixler) car. The picture says 1973. I wish the picture was better as I am restoring a pedal car to match the race car. I beleive some of you may know my uncle (Steve Bixler). I plan on looking for many more pictures of his cars. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

5. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Looks like it had a Chevy II engine in it.

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I'm thinking if it is, it would have been pretty underpowered to be what I'm guessing to be a Sprinter, but now on second look I think you are right and it is a midget and it's posted on the wrong thread.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  7. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Josh's opening line on page one is, "I have been wanting to start a Sprintcar and Midget picture thread for awhile", so I'm thinkin it's OK, as long as it's open-wheeled and pointy-tailed...

8. oldies fan

oldies fan
    from pa

I know this might sound stupid but how do u get to the other racing threads
    thanks

9. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

"...open-wheeled and pointy-tailed."

Classic. Got to remember that. Thanks, jjones752!

11. easter

easter

Yeah, I like that, too. Reminds me a a voodoo woman I met in New Orleans back when I was in the Marines.

12. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

I think that might've been open-HEELED and pointy-TOED (and tailed), Easter;)

13. baldtireman

baldtireman

Really nice looking car,Mr.Blatz!:D

14. billm233

billm233

bballjones,

The picture of the #51 Chevy II midget looked very familiar to me. I went back through my pictures and found what looks to me like the same car. Coxie and Willie Bowman had this picture in their collection. I believe the Bowmans knew the Bixlers. The man pictured in the car may be Earl Furhman. I do not know anything about Earl. The roll cage on the #51 car, looks similar to the cage on Bowmans midgets. Coxie may have done some work on this car. The engine in the picture I posted is not a Chevy II, but the car looks to be the same. If this is the same car, I hope it helps with your restoration.

Bill Miller
    Ossian, Indiana
    1987 C.O.R.A. rookie of the year

Attached Files:

15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Looks like maybe a Ford Falcon with Riley Carbs.

16. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

17. racer5c

racer5c

Hi Bill Miller,
    Roy Caruthers
    1988 C.O.R.A. Points Champion lol

18. billm233

billm233

Hello Roy

It has been a long time. I hope to see you at an oldtimers meet somewhere this year.

Bill Miller
    Ossian, Indiana
    1987 C.O.R.A rookie of the year

19. bballjones

bballjones

Mr. Miller,
    Thank you very much. I will have to ask my uncle Steve next time I see him how much he knows about their relationship and the car. Thanks again!

Dale

20. I like Red.

Attached Files:

21. easter

easter

This is like sitting in a room full of people and no one will speak. Please, someone post something! Pictures! Stories! Something!

22. Maybe
    They all went to see Josh at the show.

Attached Files:

23. A couple more no cage cars.

Attached Files:

24. Easter
    This image again, looks like Gary B talking with Larry, now this should get some heat.

Attached Files:

25. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

OK, how' this?

Attached Files:

26. easter

easter

Thank you guys. The total body shakes are starting to die down.

27. Dick L

Dick L

How about this. . . Once upon a time....

28. easter

easter

That's a Yankie fairy tale. Here in the South they start with: You ain't gonna believe this shit.....

29. Dick L

Dick L

Ya got me there Easter. I was paging thru some old posts and came across a web site on the Dayton speedway. What a place that must have been. Anyone ever see a race there?

30. easter

easter

I saw a couple. One USAC sprint race in 67 or 68. I posted the qualifying times for that day earlier on this thread. Again in 67 or 68, my dad drove the Howell #64 sprint. That's the car Bob Pratt drove as the Vivian Buick (and is restored that way) and after Bob Howell bought the car, Dean Mast drove it. Dean was bad fast in the car. The day Dad drove the car at Dayton, they had bolted on the cage. It was classified as a "Supermodified" race, but they were all USAC and IMCA sprints with cages and a couple roadsters thrown in, too. Dad set fast time and was offered an Indy car ride for Trenton. Long story, but the deal fell through. Dad loved Dayton and Winchester and won at both. However, Dayton would make me sick even before we got to the track. You just knew something bad was going to happen. There were a lot of ghosts there. Winchester, I'd stand inside turn 1, but at Dayton, I'd stand inside turn 3. The pit entry at Dayton came down off the bank above turn 4 and sloped towards the front stretch and met the track right where turn 4 ended and the grandstand began. The grass bank above that entry was a real popular spot for viewing the racing. It was wild to see the difference in the way different drivers drove Dayton. The IMCA guys would drive a particular lane clear through the turns - very even and consistant. The USAC guys would diamond the turns. They'd go in hard, drift to the top, turn left and scream down off the banking onto the straight. To watch a race at Dayton from the inside of turn 3 was an image that will stay with you forever. The old asphalt looked rough and worn out. The black and white metal guardrail looked more dangerous to the drivers than it did a safety feature. The main thing the stays with me were the trees. Trees stood above the outside of the guardrails and the leaves would blow whenever a car went by. I also remember the USAC cars looked very modern, expensive, and fast compared to the other cars. You knew you were somewhere damn historic when you were at Dayton.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012