Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick 90 fin drum seperation from the hub help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, May 3, 2011.

1. no55mad

no55mad

Can anyone shed light on removing 90 fin Buick drums from the Buick hubs. There are no rivets like the 45 fin drums. Thank you for any help.

2. i think you need to press the studs out. BTW i have a set of 90 fins and they have rivets

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you do have to press the studs out to release the drum, you absolutely need to support the hub at the wheel stud being pressed out to avoid warping the drum. A piece of 1" to 1 1/2" pipe or a big socket will work for that. Same when pressing in new studs.

Ray

4. thanks Hnstray, i shoulda mentioned supporting the hub. sorry

5. no55mad

no55mad

Are the studs pressed into the drums too? Would the studs be swedged like the 40 Ford?

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

There is a good chance that they are swedged being they are not otherwise retained/fastened to the hub.

7. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

If it is held by swedged studs defiantly be careful and support them well. I ruined a willys drum in about 5 seconds that way one time.

8. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

put a big socket behind the drum... press the lug stud into the socket....that supports it and prevents warpage.......drums come right apart....mine did......i like the fine look of the later drums... have some early course ones to....... goood luck ,be carefull, and you should do fine ... work slowwly pushing on studs.......kev