Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Enough monkeying around: let's build a 5w, or another 4dr bites the big one.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thunderbirdesq, Dec 22, 2011.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks Scott, stop by whenever, gimme a ring!

Just a little progress tonight... cut the door bottom off the door Leroy gave me, did I mention the car was wrecked?
    [​IMG]

After a few blows from my favorite ford tool...
    [​IMG]

New bottom welded on... Going to make a mirror image of this whole panel for the driver's side.
    [​IMG]

These are the two pieces of the inner that I'll have to copy for the driver's side
    [​IMG]

And last but not least, these both came into my posession today!
    [​IMG]

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, i'll have to figure out something like that too.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

freakin tired today so I picked a small, easy task and forced myslef to go out and do it. I cut up a modal A headlight bar and mounted my headlights, I might add a tie bar between the stands but I'm gonna wait until the radiator and grille are mounted to determine placement... also, these shockmounts are from a early 50's Dodge pickup, cut 'em and welded them a bit to fit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love NOS stuff... picked this up for $5 at the rockton swap a few weeks ago. check out the deluxe packaging... instructions on the regulator cover... little paper pouch of hardware. Not a scrap of plastic to be seen... neat. o.
    [​IMG]

4. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I just want to see more....keep it up...

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Goin as fast as I can Jack!;)

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Everything is turning out great Andy!!! Those headlights look really good and you did a nice job on the door bottom. How's the tiging going?

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks bro, they've got a few dents in them that I'll have to pick out eventually but they look right at home. Tig... still getting used to it... It's a little easier to work than a hard-ass mig weld, I've been tacking things together with the mig and then finishing them out with the TIg. It's fun but slow going.:cool:

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Damn Andy! I dont know how I missed this thread until now. This is going to be one sweet coupe, and a y-block too...just awesome. I'll be watching this one come together, keep up the fine work dude.

9. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

VERY IMPRESSIVE WORK! I wish we lived closer-------

10. Tony

Tony

Your moving right along Andy!!!
    Looks good man!

11. hotdamn

hotdamn

I will get those rams horns out to ya this week!

once again stellar job brother, Im stoked to see you whip this thang inta shape!!!

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Cool! I just sent the headers to Steve yesterday.:) Been working on the radiator tonight...

13. S.F.

S.F.

:D !!!!!......................oh and consider it pinstriped....Delton; I'll get that axle to ya somehow..

those hedmans are made of unobtanium.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  14. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Hell Fucking Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Such an awesome build. How's it coming along?

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Been pluggin away at it, little stuff that's not really worthy of an update yet... almost have the radiator set up, oil filter that clears the steering box, rad support rods, pulled a few rear ends apart to try and find a good core to send to RC for the quickchange... unsuccessfully so far. I travel to Western PA to pick up the back half of the body on sat!

Also Been working on other people's stuff a lot lately, Put all new floorpans and inner and outer rockers in a '69 Camaro mullet-mobile last week... After doing that all day, it's tough to muster up the gumption to really dig into the coupe! I traveled to PA over the weekend too to help my club brother start getting the chassis for his '40 Sedan Delivery together, got a huge chunk of metal in my eye... got it out but not before it scuffed my cornea up pretty good, all healed up now though. Should have a nice fat update and pics of a real COUPE body next week!

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Progress is progress and you just keep digging!

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

yea I guess so, like movin a mountain with a teaspoon!

19. Mart

Mart

If you need a real short-ass oil filter for that Y-Block, about the shortest you can get is the one for a Renault 5 LeCar.

Real short jobbie, I got one for the Y-Block in my 41 pickup.

You might have more clearance and not need such a short one though.

Mart.

20. I can't wait to see this thing turn into a coupe!

21. Love it. I´d have been far too chicken to chop that car in half!

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks Mart, I did actually buy a spin-on conversion kit the other day but somehow managed to LOSE it before I had a chance to install it... wtf?!:rolleyes::mad: Can't find the damned thing anywhere!

Soooo.... I think I'm gonna go uber-trad and use this...:D 90* adaptor from a BIG truck with the stock canister filter.
    [​IMG]

23. F&J

F&J

alrighty then...now the sparks will fly.

24. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Yeh and should be all sewn up by sunday night then!!!;)

25. F&J

F&J

Yep, a show-off..:D

...I wonder if I could send him my car...maybe it would finally get drivable:eek:

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Don't speak to soon guys... this rear half is WAY worse than it looks in pics... I'm still glad I got it, I will be able to salvage the passenger side quarter but just about everything else is *probably* beyond repair. Oh well, them's the breaks... I got a possible line on another stock car rear section, supposed to be pretty nice actually, we'll see if that pans out.

27. F&J

F&J

Sorry to hear that.

28. Cool - I've been following this build pretty closely as I've got a roached '32 Fordor and a pair of off brand coupe/roadster quarters that I'm going to try to use to duplicate the original '32 pieces. I've kind of given up on finding affordable Ford coupe quarters to use but hope to make mine work.

Steve

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Couldn't help myself, had to throw it on there and see a coupe!
    [​IMG]

Screw it, I'm gonna make that passenger quarter work and look for a driver's side... I cut the rear of the sedan roof off to prep it for trimming. and chiseled a bunch of old bondo off it as well. Something must have fell on it at some point... this is gonna be fun to fix..
    [​IMG]
    yep... I'm nuts.
    [​IMG]

Free at last...
    [​IMG]

After much trimming, cajoling, banging, and shoving... The quarter windows are a little over 3" longer than the coupe ones, more slicing and dicing ahead.
    [​IMG]

30. F&J

F&J

I'm not up on model 40s at all... after mods, will the quarter window be all the same radii and whatnot, as a 5w? and then how about the part of the roof behind the windows; will that be the same proportions as a 5w?

And the door width? same or not?