Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dave50`s craigslist 32 5w

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dave50, Jul 7, 2011.

1. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Hey Dave, love the "for her pleasure" ribbed rings. (stolen from Slick W.) Drove my coupe up to Scott's shop for the winter re-do. Gonna try to tackle the front end swap w/ a new column & steering box and change it to a 4-speed muncie as well.

2. Dave50

Dave50

Thanks i like the ribbed rings and they were Free! Goodluck on the redo hope it all goes well I got a bunch of things to do too. I may get a few more days of driving Jake idk though

3. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Hey Dave, we might pull the engine to weld in the steering box...how much to freshen up a SBC ??? Just curious you know, ball park, thanks

4. Dave50

Dave50

Hard to say without knowing whats in it and what needs to be done. Give me a call 1-978-343-4440

5. Dave50

Dave50

So I have been tossing around some ideas let me know what you think and some advice if you got some to give i would appreciate it. I feel i need to fix some things so what i feel i need to do is 1 Is fix and finish the floor and firewall you can see why in pic. I will make the firewall and floor out of sheetmetal the floor has the orginal wood and they actually put a really nice piece if sheetmetal with a nice formed tunnell so i will add on from there.

2 The rear trailing arms need to be changed and properly mounted being welded straight to the rear and only on ty-rod end at other end on frame is not anywhere near right and binds up and will destroy car if i drive it as much as i want to. I will go with all old school parts and ways to redo it. This needs changing and i also will narrow the rear at this time and leave the olds rear in there.The car doesnt have shocks on it either and am thinking i want to add them. I also want to lower the back of the car 2-3 inches or atleast to see what it looks like.

3 I would like to go through the motor it was a little sludgy and its not getting enough oil up to the rockers like a few others i am hearing about. And its got some low compression on 2 cyl`s and also the road draft tube drips oil while driving oiling the chassis and body on the right side :p. I was going to put a stick in it but the Hydro works so good so far i`ll keep it and its a old B&M I believe from some things about it and what the previous owner said.

4 I have to finish the rear window they just cut one and stuck it in there but didnt hook up the regulator to be operative, I have most of the parts there so why not. I addd some pics of the original package tray that was in my car it is a blue color washington blue i guess and this is the original color of the car.

5 I need to put some taillights on it too people just dont pay attention and i have been almost been run in the back of several times.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  6. Dave50

Dave50

Been working on package tray and roll down back window here`s a pic of package tray and wood frame around window etc still making some other pieces.

Attached Files:

7. F&J

F&J

Hey Dave...are you still doing the Buick brakes?

When you phoned....I can't believe I forgot that I have some repro front hubs here that I got in trade. The guy said they were for Wilson drums and I almost think he said Buick also????

Anyways...if it's something that can be measured or whatever, to see if that's what you need??? I am not using them in any future build. They are new, but i have one on the 40, just to move it around. I can swap a stocker onto the 40, to get the new one back off.

They have new press-on center grease caps, and 2 new seals.

pm me in case I miss a reply, Frank

8. Dave50

Dave50

Hello Frank I don`t know if i am or not i think i am as i want to get the brakes working better i have adjusted them etc. I may have to profile the shoes for lack of a better word right now. I still am researching what i will need to do adapt them to my car I just got the drums yesterday but haven`t had a chance do even look at them. I also dont think by adding buick drums it will change to much of the cars history, I was going to narrow the rear but right now i am just gonna make some wheels for it and drive it a bit. I need to pull the engine as its puffing pretty bad. So thats one of the first things i need to do. Was good to drive it saturday had a good time. I`ll let ya know thansk for the thought Dave

9. sassaquinn

sassaquinn

Great find,enjoy.

10. Dave50

Dave50

Thanks sassaquinn it sure is I have and will enjoy it been having a heck of a time so far.

If you look close hanging on the center wood theres the last registration Sam had for the car I found it after it got it back here on the floor it fell on its way back in transport. The pic with it still hanging is when the car was in cali still in sam`s garage and then another in my friends garage in cali thought it was cool as i was looking back at some pics from when i first got it to.

Attached Files:

11. Dyce

Dyce

Screw it!!! With all of thet wrong I'd take em to court and try getting my money back. If they won't I'll give you your money back and a few hundred for all of your trouble LOL...

I don't know how I missed this thread but wow!!! What a car.

12. Dave50

Dave50

LMAO !!! That funny. Its not thats its wrong I could just make things better IMO.. Ofcourse since i wrote That i have changed my mind again to not touch a thing :)

13. Dyce

Dyce

Good choice Dave. Looking at your list you are making improvments that will make it safe and reliable, but not changing the car. Looks great with the new wheels and 4x2 intake!! Reminds me of one a 32 5 window my Dad had at one time.

14. F&J

F&J

Dave; Do you know what kind of fan is on your Olds? Does it look like a cut down stock 4 blade?

I am hooking up the hoses,pump and radiator today, and I need to come up with a fan by Sunday to be able to run it longer to see how the motor does. Thanks

15. Dave50

Dave50

Frank I went to parts store and got them the top hose was a flex hose i will get the numbers of the hoses for you in awhile i am on way to shop. The fan is a 4 blade fan like the stock ford ones in the 60`s I know speedway sells this type in different sizes for $20.00 bones. If ya want i will bring it down to ya today not doing much so you can atleast run it, I put a fan in front of radiator and no T stat when i was running mine for a bit worked good for me. LET me know

Frank Mine didnt come with a fan at all they didnt appear to run 1 pre 67 ??? From what i have for history thats the last time car was drivin. I have these 2 fans hanging around your welcome to them if ya want. The 18 inch Four blade is a willy`s flathead super 6 i have the motor complete. The other is a Jeep 258.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  16. Dave50

Dave50

I added pics to the thread frank and heres the hose numbers gates 20608 and 21207

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  17. F&J

F&J

Dave, that 4 blade in the above pic...it looks exactly like what I need. I can't see in that pic, but does it have factory bent tips? I think those make it quieter.

I cut down the bent spare Olds fan today so I can run it later today....but I'd like to buy that fan..so, can you save it :)

I cut mine to 17", but 18" would be fine. Thanks

18. Dave50

Dave50

Yes frank it has the bent fins on the end its the one you want and need,It`s yours if ya want it. Are you gonna paint it?? I can glass bead it if ya need me to i have a cabinet. Let me know what you want to do i am so excited for you and you sounded excited on phone it`s just great to have progress isn`t it? lol

19. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Just got back to this thread .... you Dave are one lucky man! You just can't duplicate the look and feel of the patina of life that a old Hot Rod has. Very very cool 5 window! Are your ribbed rings re-pops or original? I'm thinkin about using them on my car.

20. Dave50

Dave50

hotrod32 I sure am very lucky to have this one but it was meant to be as the story goes it`s hard to take in. I have to thank my friend Sheldon Bardin he is the reason i have this car.The more i talk to people and hear stories and learn about these cars the more i dont and wont change much on the car. I was going to put buick brakes on it but its not the era so i wont do it. My car is no beauty queen or show cra but for what it is it`s not bad. I need to really think out everything i decide to do. This board and you guys have been very helpful with me not messing up the car cause when i first got it i was going to redo the whole thing paint body work,wheels,interior etc and change the whole car but this isnt the one to do that to.I sold my hubcaps that where on it i didnt like them at the time but that may have been a mistake... I do believe the ribbed rings are original idk how to tell but i got them out of a box full that Dave Simard had. I like the look and i may put a set of baby type moon caps on it. Maybe loiue isnt using all for of the ones i sold to him :) I am not sure what i am going to do about rear wheels maybe chrome reverse but been thinking the same color of the front too. And as i have stated before I absolutely love your car aswell great job! I am going to get a 3w and do something like yours and 3wlarrys old car and then theres the jive 5 i want a car like that with fenders too :) But i am sure it will be along time before i can afford something like that..........

21. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

As I've said before Dave, your car is just pissah as, is so just make it reliable and "relatively" safe. (don't want to take all the fun out of it).

22. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Thanks man...I don't think I'do anything to that car Dave. Just make it safe and drive it! Don't worry about hubcaps etc. It's above all that. It has earned the right to just be honored and respected and driven! Just drive it and enjoy it. It's rollin History! It's about the Iron....." en Hop Up Veritas"

23. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

24. F&J

F&J

I'm not sure what "I" would do about the rear wheels on that car.

I am now using a stock base model 56 Olds 88 wheel on the rear, and it puts the tire completely under the outer fender lip....but it's not really a pretty wheel center because it's so "non-deep dish". I'm running full coverage trim rings and smooth 40 caps like Bob Bleeds Little Red Truck, so the wheel is hidden.

Maybe your build style would look better with the rear tires sticking out more than mine, because that was a style back then.

If you want to drop by someday, I am almost always in the shop... even your buddy Jim T was here a month ago, getting an Olds timing cover and damper/pulley for the 303 he got from you.;)

If you do try chromed rears, maybe skip the reverse?, just go chromed steelies? IDK

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

this.

26. Dave50

Dave50

Yes hotrod32 thats the way i am starting to see it and it will most likely be'

Thanks vonpahrkur

Frank i`m not sure yet either with the rear being to wide theres not alot of options i have considerd narrowing it seems it would be the best way to get everything fixed up right but just dont know yet.I also been thinking of makeing some wheels for it.. I will have to stop down i`ll bring that stuff just let me know when is good for youi`m to busy during the week usually but if head down that way i`ll make sure imake it over your way may be going that way later today. Jim is a good guy glad you could help him out, miss him stopping by.

27. Dave50

Dave50

I`m starting to get it Marc, but now i have to build a car with all the other parts i have

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

but, if you are set on doing something, i would get some wheels that tuck under the rear fenders a bit more, but not necessarily all the way. paint them the same as the fronts.

my 2c. but it's still pretty bad ass the way it is. did you see how many people hovered around it all day in hudson? :)

29. coupemerc

coupemerc

I can't believe that I missed seeing your coupe in Hudson last weekend. I must have spent too much time in the lodge, not enough outside. My loss.

30. Dave50

Dave50

Thats why I am considering narrowing the rear so the wheel width,offset,lug pattern and look will be better but that is what they did in back then so again i am stuck in my dilema lol. I was told yesterday that maybe use a different rear for now to save the look and history if i ever want to put it back i could. The y hovered around casue they couldnt believe someone would drive it lol with that hole in firewall and floor haha.In all seriousness yes i see they like to see a car that has everything on it the way it was done 46-50 years ago as the car was untouched that long, I`m glad they enjoy it. I know i have me and hammeredt had a goodtime at the get together and then ride we couldnt of had a better day really and The Alterboys show was the best so far the cars and people that were there was awesome.

I listened to a guy once say he was only the caretaker for his Hot Rod and then it would be someonelses he was only preserving it and enjoying it made sense i would want this car to stay the same after it`s not mine anymore aswell

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012