Register now to get rid of these ads!

30/31 model A with a 32 tank no body mods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19-c, Jan 10, 2012.

1. 19-c

19-c

I am wondering if anyone has used a 32 tank on a 30/31 with (duece rails). I have seen some threads on them but body modifications were needed on the rear of the car to get it to fit down over the tank. Has anyone done this without cutting out the back of the car? There are some pics of it out there but I am curious how it is done? thanks

2. xlr8er

xlr8er

I did it with no mods at all to the body. Check the build thread of the car in my profile. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I'll answer what I can.

3. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

When I got my model A it was half done and had a '32 frame and tank, and '30 body. I changed it because to me it looked a little awkward. There were no body mods but the tank stuck out a bit more than it would with a deuce body. Unless its channeled or theres a kick up in the frame I don't see why you would need to modify the body.

4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

If you dont want to cut or remove the long body bar under the panel ...under the decklid..then you have to alter the rear frame horns so they dip down below the ass end of the body.

Dagels sells a really nice rear frame set up that works out great. Here is the link.
    http://www.dagelsstreetrods.com/gas%20tank%20kits.htm

for an after market frame with round rear crossmemebr
    [​IMG]

for a stocker
    [​IMG]

Without doing something to the framehorns or the back end of the body there is no way to get the tank in after cutting up the subrails and dropping the body down on the frame to where it needs to be.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Believe this was a kit (unk mfr - already on the car when I purchased it), but there are no body mods at all (fenders have been bobbed, but that wasn't related to the tank installation). Crawling under shows two extensions bolted to the frame rails and the tank is mounted conventionally. Actually looks better than no tank on a stock body.

Attached Files:

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^Looks pretty good to me. Gary

7. Flamin'

Flamin'

The deuce tank won't clear without body modification because the model a has flat subrails all the way to the back. If you sit a deuce body flat on the floor, you can clearly see how high the back of the body has to step up in the rear to clear the tank.

Xlr8er's tank clears the body with not modification because of the drastic modifications done to the back of the chassis. If you look at the photos of the as received frame, you can see the back of the rails have been cut off and an aftermarket stepped up rear cross member commonly found on almost all model a frames was added so the rear of the body doesn't have to be modified... and if the Dagels rear kit was added, it mounts the tank lower to clear the body. If you're going for an almost factory look, you should look at the Steadfast Mfg rear subrails. They look like Henry built them and give you the clearance for the tank without looking like a hack job.

TheAkit HomemadeHardtop57 and propwash are suggesting is for a ModelaA on Model A rails, not deuce rails.

8. 19-c

19-c

I appreciate the help everyone! Thank You