Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most Car Show Have Lost It.............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winged Avenger II, Aug 30, 2010.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Exactly what we did with the Mid Decembrrrr Run here in KS, 20 people, 10 or so cars, 120 miles and a bunch of fun stops along the way. I highly recommend that people do this, we had a blast!

2. yruhot

yruhot

I agree with Falfs 55, I also hate the booming stereos when trying to have a little conversation with fellow car guys and gals. The other thing is when the PT Cruizers show up at a car show. Nice cars and kinda cool but when 20 or 30 of them show up I'm about ready to leave. And when they win a trophy over some really cool home built rod I about lose it.YRUHOT.....Doug

3. cooger

cooger

Right on about Texas.
    One of the very best is the Key to the Hills in Boerne in Oct. Its all pre-49 and they really enforce it--no sneakers in. Full to the brim with trad. cars every year ('cept when it rains, Rain????)

4. RIGHT ON BOB!

My thoughts exactly.

Add the Hunnert Car Heads Up and Meltdown Drags to your list of nearby events you need to check out - especially if you want to see more racing than show.

5. hotrod51

hotrod51

In my opinion, the best thing that could be done is do away with the trophies. Just get together and have a good time. Keep the cars off the trailers and drive em hard.

6. I just like cars. I'll go through just about any car gathering and check it out.

If it doesn't interest me, I leave.

If it's traditional stuff, I'll drive hours to get there and stay for a long time.

(and trophies...they make me laugh...I don't get the whole $3 plastic trophy thing)

7. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey cool, an old dead thread whining about car shows come back to life!!

8. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

I agree with you on this. My dad and I heard about what was supposed to be a real good antique car show at our local Sam's Club a while back. So, we make a special trip to go see it. We pulled up and should have been shocked but we really weren't. There were somewhere in the area of 20-25 mexican lowrider/jumping beans there paying that extremely loud crap they listen to. Off to the far right side there were 5-6 rods and they were getting ready to leave as we were standing there. We had gotten there about 30 minutes or so after the show was scheduled to start. My dad and i looked at each other, shook our heads and left thinking what a freaking joke! The sad part is on the flyers it said "antique" car show. Most of the jumping beans were late models with 12's or 24's and looked like something out of a cartoon. I see this trend more and more in my area and it is really sad.

And NO, I'm not a hater of Hispanics. I feel they should have their place in their own car shows and we have ours. It would be like bringing and semi truck to a Volkswagon show. The 2 just don't go together.

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i think the most recent type of cars popping up are the "modernized" looking hot rods. They have to take everything to the utmost extreme, luxury and rediculousness.Don't get me wrong...every person has the right to do what they want to their car.....but it's getting too over the top. What ever happened to class and the era that those cars actually came from. I dont want to see a bunch of modernized 82+ year old cars that dont even look like remotely close to what they used to

10. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

After going to shows for years, I finished my 58 this fall and did some cruise night shows, and smaller group shows. I enjoy the hell out of it, folks of all age groups, pretty girls, friends,beer and American iron! What's not to like? And yes, it has ac, disc brakes, and a good stereo. Loosen up, have fun. Mark

11. Seepwater

Seepwater

Use to belong to the Midwest Street Rod Assoc. and worked the Gears & Ears show. Took my young daughter the year we invited the Impala club to the show (they had their own area). As we walked thru, my daughter said in a voice loud enough for them to hear, "Daddy, I thought cloning was illegal!"

12. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

Everybody has their own taste and idea of their perfect car or style. I like many different styles of cars and I'm just happy that we live in a country where we have the freedom to enjoy the creativity, imagination, and sure...the large sums of money spent on some of these rolling statements of individuality. Yeah 450 Corvettes all lined up one looking just like the one next to it because they are just so scared to do anything with them...include drive them, is not very exciting but at least we live in a country where they have the freedom to get that many cars together just to show off! I say bring what you got, isn't the idea to be different from the next guy and enjoy what someone else has come up with?

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Jalopy Journal, Jockey Journal, Garage Journal...

gonna have to start a "Car Show Bitch and Moan Journal" before too long.

14. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

lol, ..................................................

15. Whinning is traditional.

16. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

AGREED! The hardest thing for me is DECIDING which shows to attend! there are so many AWESOME events for our kind of hot rods/customs, i can't make it to all of the ones i want to go to. thank god there are folks right here on the hamb that post pics from the rest of the shows i cant make it to!!!!!!:D

17. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I go to one show were the car are put in classes. and years. Thats nice I can look at what I wont and skip the crap I don't wont to see

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  18. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Car shows lost it for me when they became populated with Show Cars. Carl Caspar and the ISCA were the ruination of the whole concept.

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Car shows that I have recently been to seem kinda both ways...
    Some full of traditional's, and some have way too many (IMO) new rice burners full of loud stereos and so on....
    Then there is the Corvette group that always keeps to themselves.
    However, a car show is a car show, and I now usually go with my Brother in Law and his Son, so we have three traditional's in our own...
    To each their own, and I am leaning more to the older crowd myself, so understand your post.
    Cheers..

20. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Please, somebody make it stop!
    Paul

21. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

X2, i agree totally

22. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Sounds like someone is drinking too much of their own "whine"....

23. kozik

kozik

I love car shows. I like many types of cars and many 'periods' of cars. Personally I don't enjoy the goofy Street Rods and some of the modern stuff. For example. We have a really great Mopar Show here every year, and it does include a huge wad of stupid modern 4 door fake 'Chargers'.....I just shrug and move on to the ones I like. I don't get mad, or feel threatened. That shit is just invisible to me. The rest of it is awesome 'real' Mopars and a killer swap meet. I love loooking at 'traditional rides'...and the Reunion at Famoso is heaven for that. I have been to a couple of smaller club sponsored ' traditional only' shows, and honestly..that can get a little Renfair what with the outfits and stuff. So I go to as many as I can, enjoy the stuff I like and ignore the rest.

24. If there's a God in Heaven.... (Or a Moderator)...
    Please extend your Almighty Hand and KILL THIS STUPID THREAD!!!

There are some whiny-asses on this site who can't be pacified now matter how many times you beat them with a reality stick.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  25. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

everyone has the right to whine....whether you want to agree or not.

26. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

if you dont want to listen to the whining...you can easily not click on this thread...and then ya'all who bitch about the whiners seem to enjoy wasting more of your time by clicking the reply button.

We personally enjoy all types of cars. My dad started building a '69 charger when i was very little. He then got a old mini-cooper and now he's building a '41 dodge power wagon. We got hooked on this hobby with our '50 plymouth which was pretty much a restoration job...and we enjoy the car for what it is. We can take it to any kind of show and it gathers a crowd. We personally like pre-57 cars but we will look at virtually anything that catches our eye. Do i agree with having brand new camarros, dodge chargers, etc at shows? no i dont. Those are new cars...they dont belong at a car show....if i wanted to look at one of those i will go down to the nearest dealer and look at one of them. But to each their own. its easy to just walk on by...and ignore what you dont want to see. My best advice is to go to the shows and enjoy your car, enjoy talking with people who are interested in your car....go to look at the cars you want to look at....don't get your panties in a wad over such simple sillyness

27. countspanko

countspanko

is this the new tradition ?

Attached Files:

28. Precisely the point I was trying to make. It's just that 95% of the replies have voiced that same opinion and this thread is still alive.

29. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Man I hope not !!!!

30. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

I go to as many shows in my area as I can. Some have year cutoffs, some don't. I don't complain about the stuff there that does'nt interrest me, I just move on. I don't care for the radical tuner cars but some of them aren't so wild, they are pretty cool.I just move on. I like muscle cars but I HATE muscle cars with wild paint and 24" wheels. I just move on. Small town carshows have a mix of everything, so if you want to go to a show to see some cars you are going to have to deal with some stuff that you might not like. I just move on. Traditional, Rat Rod, Muscle, Tuner, Jalopy etc. there is really no right or wrong. There is what you like and what someone else likes. No right or wrong!