Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats your favorite era of Hot Rodding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Jan 9, 2012.

1. dexleo2

dexleo2

For me it would have to be the 60's- to early 70's. Wish I would have grown up in that era instead of the smog 80's-ha ha

2. MemphisRaines

MemphisRaines
    from Texas

Late 50's - early 60's

3. Mid 50's through the 60's. Lived it and loved it!

4. robber

robber

For me it was the mid-60's. I was becoming of age to have my own car. Started working on a '54 Savoy 2 door coupe. It was the golden age of front engine dragsters. I went to Lions Drag Strip every chance I got where I was seeing cars built by Kent Fuller and driven by people like Tommy Ivo and the Snake. I was meeting my heroes and seeing record runs! People like the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean were singing Hot Rod songs. We were cruisin the main drags in our hot rods with friends and girl friends and going to drive-in movies. Great memories of a simpler and seemingly happier time!!

5. I agree with right now, and the internet is one of the reasons.

6. primed34

primed34

Mid to late 60's but that because that's when I discovered hot rods. Course I was still riding a bicycle for part of that time.

7. derbydad276

derbydad276

mid 60's through early 70's gasser wars and slingshot era

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the 00's were pretty good. you just have to ignore stuff you don't like. there are more old style HOT ROD cars around today than there was in the old days when old style HOT RODs were just HOT RODs.

9. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i m with these 2 guys

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

For me its the late 50s early 60s before all the traditional BS started.

11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A-men plus :cool:

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

1960-1965, and my '30 Roadster project will look like I built it in 1962. I could get banned from the HAMB for saying this, but I never got into Ford Flathead V8's, or small block Chevies. I also love all race cars built before WWII, and Ford 4Banger Speed Equipment.

13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love it all up to about 1970,1962-1968 really floats my boat. Early Times/Prowlers type stuff.The NSRA resto-rod shit killed my intrests.

14. The '60s. That's when they got serious about putting the HOT in Hot Rod. The earlier decades had their share of hot cars, but in the '60s, it's like everything got shifted into high gear. The streets were full of fast street machines, and in my opinion, it was the Golden Age of drag racing.

15. The ten year period after world war 2, so '45 - '55. I do enjoy all eras of hot rodding too.

16. R Pope

R Pope

For cars, music, and general easy livin', I say early '50's to early '60's. Must include '64, that's when my Marauder was built!
    Although all those hippie chicks on into the '70's were fun, too..........Where did they all go?

17. I prefer the era from about 62 to 72. Thats when I really got obsessed with hot rods,including muscle cars and NASCAR. Now I just like hot rods and prefer to see them built that old way..lowered I beam front axle, big engine, lots of chrome,wild colors. Ahh, back then you could still afford to find and buy good cars to build. Now its really hard to find one, much less afford to purchase anything worth spending time and money on.

18. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I would have loved to be about 15 years old in the mid 50's and go from there.

Hot Rodding has been cool from the very beginning in my book though.

19. Don't know about being a teen but being an infant in the '50s has had a lasting effect on my life. It hasn't been a plesant lasting effect either. I have alsways wondered why in TV shows like Father Knows Best, or Leave it to Beaver, or later Happy Days you never see anyone walking around with braces. I was there and it was common.

As far as cars go for rods '55-'64 was or is the tops.

20. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

These are the days!!! With the craftmanship, trends, & propularity, these are the days. All we have to do educate the dredded "R.R.'s" crowd & it would be tits.

21. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Late 50's , mid 60's. Lots of cool cars, wild gassers and hot women. It seemed a buzzing time in general, especially to be driving a hot rod and being a young dude.

I wish:rolleyes:

My personal best era is right now. I survived all the other era's and still going!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  22. chevy3755

chevy3755

60,s for me.........

23. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

As long as I'm still alive.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Benno, you are talking about polio? Not something that people talk about when they are waxing nostalgic, but even when I was a kid in the sixties, it was something that people with kids worried about alot. I remember my mom being really freaked out about it every summer when I was young.

25. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I agree..

26. RCDARKKNIGHT

RCDARKKNIGHT
    from Warren CT

That's a tuff one, I like the 60's and have a 69 Ranchero, I also like the
    30's 40's and 50's That's the reason i decided to build a 38 Panel to do some traveling with. The problem with the two seaters is there is never any room.
    It has to sound good too. I work on them all, Drive them all and dream them all.
    RC

27. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

My favorite era is the late 50's to early 60's HOWEVER for me my favorite era is also right now. We all can build our rides the way we want and still ahve a hell of a good time.
    Ron

28. firingorder1

firingorder1

It was fairly common to see kids with leg irons. I was one of the lucky ones. I got hit with osteomyilitis (sp) in my right leg but somehow got away without the leg irons. But I do remember getting a copy of HRM in '57 with Ivo's T in it and I was hooked for life. there have been many fantastic cars over the years but Ivo's T i still my all time favorite.

29. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

There was a painting of a sailor and a girl standing next to a chopped AV8 in a mag that I saw within a few years ago. That car was in my opinion the perfect hot rod. Looked like it would have been after the war. Sat up high, and had a evil chop. Jim here on the HAMB has a AV8 coupe that looked just like that coupe in the painting.

30. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with 1 koolkat!!----'Cause I was born in 1932!!