Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

2. bentwings

bentwings

Had to take a second look at this one....
    Looks like a mess is about to happen.

3. Another one of Randy Troxel's Thames I came across

[​IMG]

4. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I really like this photo, thank's for sharing, sir.

5. This poor guy died from his burns. Check out the last issue or so of Hot Rod Deluxe. This is the reason you're not allowed to have any part of the fuel system closer than 6" inches from the fire wall. The real issue though was cast flywheels and no blow proof bell housings.

6. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

That's odd......... cause' if someone hadn't had a camera and taken these pics, all your vicarious track days wouldn't mean squat without a forum to recollect it on.
    Sitting in a race car all day won't make you a winner either.
    Tom S. in Tn.
    Bet there a lot of folk who would like to post and express what some of these photo's represent to them, but are afraid of debasement from the few who do.

7. rick finch

rick finch

You having a bad day Tom?:confused:

8. rick finch

rick finch

9. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Maybe for you Rick, but not for me. I worked my ass off and gave everything I had and even would have for a few years into the future, just to race. With the guys who died and fine machinery we literally trashed simply doesn't do it for me.
    I've found a lot more satisfaction from life and family since quitting and using my labor and skill to be productive. Fun doesn't have to cost that much,...... well maybe later in the 70's anyway.
    This website brings back a lot I had forgotten, but if I had not quit, I'd still be working my ass off too hard to think about any of it, let alone enjoy any good memory.
    Justify it however you need Rick, but for me the cost was just too high for a even trade, well maybe not when I was a kid in the beginning, but in the end anyway. Tom S.

10. rick finch

rick finch

11. rick finch

rick finch

12. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Not till I logged in here to all this negativity Rick.
    I wanted to spend a little time for entertainment, but I suppose I must have hit the wrong button and burst the fantasy bubble. Tom

13. rick finch

rick finch

Wow....Tom, I'm not trying to justify anything. I would not trade my racing experiences for all the money in the world. Friendships were formed that have lasted through to this day. I saw parts of the country that I probably would never have seen were it not for racing.The money I spent came AFTER any family obligations were met....yes racing was/is expensive. 1 very close friend was killed racing which I witnessed while strapped in my car next to run in the staging lanes. Through it all I would not change a thing....sorry for all the angst you're feeling Tom.:(

14. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Thanx Rick.
    It just didn't work that way for me though.
    Appreciate it. Really do.
    One nice thing about today, once I turn this computer off, I'm done again.
    Tom
    Strange how stating I wished I had a camera and photos started all this controversy.

15. WCD

WCD

True, there is a symbotic relationship between racer and spectator much in the same way that there is one with artisitc performer/athlete and fan. I'm grateful to have seen a lot of good racing from what I consider to the "golden era." And I regret not being more dutiful in taking more pictures and more importanly keeping better tabs on the few that I did take. That includes 8 mm stuff. For now and forever I can offer vague recollections of what I saw, or think I saw.

16. WCD

WCD

I have the Hurst VHS tape that shows this car racing Ohio George Montegomery for super elim honors at Indy. The way it rocked back and forth as Ellis drove it into the staging beams is so cool. In the back you can see the blown Austin Healy of I think Bob Ida.

17. bentwings

bentwings

I have to agree with rick....I also ran all over the country hotrodding. I did little socializing however. It was all about competition and trying to run as well as I could with limited resources and not making big mistakes and trying to make ends meet.

Ultimately however hotroding opened the door to working in the auto field then on to tool making and welding. Eventually I went back to eng school and 25+ yr in mech eng. and consulting.

Now I'm more or less back in the race game with the new FC, mounting bodies and making parts helping out behind the scenes in the operation. My son and grandson both are deep in the crew operations so sometimes there are 3 generations of us at the races.

Today I would and do discourage a career in the race game. I would encourage going to school get a good education, get estabished. If you want to race build a budget and stick to it. It is horrible expensive to run any car competitively.

Being a professional spectator is the new thing I think. It is even expensive but you can get right inth pits, see what is going on, talk to the racers sometimes get tours thru their shop and if you really want to dig in, arrange a rental racer. That is the "new" wave. Many teams are set up that way.

18. True that, Rick!!! ;)

19. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

20. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

21. Thanks for sharing as always Rick...Do I spy with my wandering eye one of my favorite Austin Healey's in the background?!?!? Any chance someone may have any more pix of the IDA Automotive Hemi Healey?

22. 296ardun

296ardun

Sadly he was not the only one, Dave Delangton in '55, Wayne Erickson in '60, in both cases, exploding clutch/flywheel sent shrapnel into the cockpit, where the fuel tank was mounted...probably others as well, it took us a while to learn what seems now to be pretty common-sense, don't put the fuel tank on the floor next to the driver...

23. WCD

WCD

Bob Ida's BB/GS Healey can be found on the Gassermadness.com site

24. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Div 4 Hall of Famer Willard Buff's A/ Fueler

25. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Willard Buff's Willys, he showed me this car in his storage shed about 15 years ago.

26. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

sooooo that means it's still out there somewhere most likely,, :cool:

27. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

SWC's

Attached Files:

28. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Yes, I would bet he still has it.

29. Domiracer66

Domiracer66
    from The Mil

30. WCD

WCD

I love the altered shot. While I cant account for the Fiat in the near lane, that the Arlasky & Knox AA/FA in the far side. The T bucket bested many a west coast car when it ventured to Bakersfield.