Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can a traditional car have EFI?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TinShed, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vergil

Vergil

Thanks Barnone, much appreciated.

2. Dave50

Dave50

Vergil really nice piece there and you shouldve stated that earlier and i shoulda waited to see what type LOL, nicely done its a beauty most will accept that but traditional around here was pre 64 on everything but i see its a changing..

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

Just don't tell anyone. It'll be your little secret and you'll be safe from the tradition police.

Bob

4. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

That car is awesome. What's all the white powder about?? The bystanders must run for cover when it fires up.

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

Powerjection. A little larger with a couple wires, but the main giveaway will be it will be mounted on its side for a 4 cylinder.

Attached Files:

6. Cuda340

Cuda340

Don't rake me over the coals too bad...but I say yes. A traditional car can have EFI, but a period correct traditional cannot. The HAMB is about period correct traditional hot rods, not about traditional hot rodding.

Craig

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Shit, I fell of the chair. That is SO nice. I'd bet it runs really nice, too, eh? Ok, who wants to bitch about alternators now? Gary

8. maverickman514

maverickman514

IDK... I wasnt aware that you had to be "period correct" until I started a build thread of my 56 F250.. I was blasted, then had my thread totally deleted by admin... funny thing was, they were more upset by my 20" wire wheels that by the EFI 4.6L and 92 Crown Vic chassis....

they couldnt (or should I say, REFUSED) to tell me what was so wrong, and they deleted my thread when I questioned what "traditional" actually meant... I still PERSONALLY believe that "TRADITIONAL" means to build your ride like they did back in the early days.... You use what you can find and afford, as long as it improves the car/truck. Let's face it, the "period correct parts" are getting harder, and more expensive to find, and they are still as unreliable as ever. I am doing my build using a "traditional approach" which, TO ME, means that I will use the best parts I can scrounge from a wrecking yard, and I will dress it out to MY taste. I will have a RELIABLE, COMFORTABLE, POWERFUL, EFFICIENT truck. It will have it's own style, a few off the wall tricks and mods, and it will be built to MY taste.
    It will look the part of an old custom that was revived. but I will not fake any patina. I will not try to fit into any one style or genre of build. Not looking for a particular "period" to build it to falsely portray.

Sorry for the rant, didnt really mean to hi-jack... back to the OT:

If you want to run EFI on your rod/custom .. run EFI. Don't let a bunch of people sitting behind a monitor tell you what to do with YOUR vehicle. Will EFI win you any trophies at a next show? probably not. Will it score you points with the "greasers"? no. Will you be allowed to join in any of thier reindeer games? Sorry, Rudy, not gonna happen... Will you have a vehicle that YOU like, and enjoy? If YOU like it, and you're not building to sell, then screw what anyone here (including me) says about it.

Just remember, to be a REBEL, you must REBEL

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Hot rodding has always been about innovation and finding a better way to do something. Far too many of the cars featured here are paint by number projects that lack the real soul of hot rodding in my opinion. Having run a Mooneyes EFI on a '31 banger, I say go for it!

10. Cuda340

Cuda340

...that's why my "traditional" appearing, EFI build thread of my '37 Plymouth is in my album and not on the board...

Craig

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Who cares? You building it for yourself, or everyone else?

It's damn Hard to knock builds like Vergils!

If someone asks you "Is that traditional, or a ratrod, or hotrod, or what?" I think I'd just say " It's paid for, and it's mine!"

EFI sure increases the driveablity factor! JMHO.

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

No, but I guess the occasional modern update is part of hot rodding. Alot of the fun for me is picking a time frame to work in and tracking down the peroid parts. I set a time peroid of 1957-1960 ish for my Model A pickup build. However, I did purchase a Heim Joint thing called a Uni-Ball (see the latest entry in my build thead) that will allow me to run my 39 style open drive trans and my 42-47 open Banjo (with 37-41 bells) without splitting the rear radius rods and let them function like they were attached to a torque tube. You wont really be able to see it unless you crawl under the truck and it's not very big. I'll probably use one of those little Facet electric fuel pumps but I will hide it and make the fuel line run through a dummy mechanical pump. I guess asthetics is what makes the difference between traditional or not.

13. 1932roadster

1932roadster

Hot Rod - Yes

Traditional Rod - No

I am building a Hot Rod that is inspired by the Rods of the mid to late 60's.

14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I think it can, hypothetically, have EFI if it isn't sealed under the hood. The nature of "traditional" technology is that it isn't sealed: it is visually fairly transparent in the sense that educated inspection of the works will tell you all you need to know, and it positively invites messing-about-with. No EFI you are likely to encounter will satisfy that requirement, but that isn't to say that one can't run an injection system off a small suitcase's worth of PC board and multi-coloured wires.

So, if the electronic gubbins bears a fairly deep resemblance to a 1960s-era hi-fi amplifier, I'd call it "hypothetically traditional".

(In fact I like that term, "hypothetically traditional". It's what I'd call some of the coolest stuff on the HAMB.)

15. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I think you nailed it with that statement. I am sure in some obscure place sometime in 1949 when some sacreligious individual put an overhead Olds, Caddy or Stude V8 in his hot rod he was viewed as being non traditional. Only Flathead Fords could be in real Hot Rods right? Hot Rodding is about individuality, this sight is about traditional individuality based on a certain era in history making it as valid as any other retro hobby. There is more than enough room in our hobby for all styles of expression, so let's keep the traditional traditional and appreciate what various sectors of the hobby enjoy. There are more than enough challenges for people enjoying the modified car hobby with out picking on each other.

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I vote YES as long as it's done right.
    Vergil's is done right!

17. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

You nailed it....almost. I think that should read a traditional styled car can have efi, but a period correct traditional cannot.
    I agree with those that say to build it like YOU want.......just don't try to redefine (dilute the meaning) what a traditional hot rod is, or what you think should be acceptable on this site.

18. Cuda340

Cuda340

BTW, I don't care what your into, that is a super sexy EFI flat head...

19. rld14

rld14

I don't think that anyone is saying "Don't run EFI", the question was to whether or not it is traditional. With one glaring (and unique) exception, I can't see that it is.

Lots of very cool cars run EFI. The Holden Efijy is one car I would damn near sell my soul to own; it's got EFI.

20. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

a traditional hot rod, probably not....but IMO hot rodding is taking what you have availible to you, improving your ride to suit your needs....just like guys with model a's in the 40s going to the bone yard and picking up 40 ford parts to Hot rod their cars...we just have MORE technology available to us..in my case i am Hot rodding my 46 ford and using a fox body mustang as a donor to IMPROVE my 46 to be reliable and easier to get parts for if i break down on the road. i had asked about a 4.6L in my build topic and was told that i was barking up the wrong tree to ask that. i have read where guys have stated that M2 is "traditional" now because it has been around 30 years...FI has been close to that....not saying that you guys will agree but with limited funds you build what you have at your disposal or can get ahold of cheap...

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

I wonder if you could copy something like a Megasquirt with Trad components.

Old tubes, etc...

And if you could, would it be big enough to fill the trunk of a car and give off as much heat as a V8 engine?

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I vote no. To me "traditional" means period correct and that you can repair it with baling wire and friction tape.

EFI is fine as long as you leave the word Traditional out of it.

23. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Why have people been modifying vehicles since day one - To get better performance - OVH Model T's, V8 in A's, Multi carbs, Modified Heads, Cams, Turned Cranks, SBC's in everything, Can yous say Hemi? - All done with new technologies
    Thats what it's all about
    Oh and WTF is it with all that new paint being used, and the new gas, and the air in the tires

24. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Static indoor display thing, its salt to represent the salt flats. Just there to make the display more interesting kind of like carpet or angel hair.
    Paul

25. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I think too many people hear/see "traditional hot rodding" and assume that it just means building a hot rod like they used to. I did for a long time. Traditional is a reference to the time period.

It would be like going to one of those 1800’s styled towns that have everything period correct and expecting to find an iPad. Sort of an extreme example, but it kind of gives you an idea why the idea of traditional hotrodding shouldn't be updated.

Again, I run EFI, I just don't talk about it, and I don't call my truck traditional.

26. drop the E in EFI or hide the E in a traditional fuel injection. The Bob Porter/ doyle gammel 32 coupe was injected and traditional
    so many opinions about traditional. my 48 Buick had braided stainless steel fuel line with anodised fittings from the factory. my 51 olds had them as a hot rod in 1959.
    some worry about Radials ect. yet have no qualms about front clips. 5 speed trans, wouldn't be without disc brakes.
    if you want it hide it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I haven't read the entire thread but I thought I should chime in.

No it can't be a traditional '40s '50s or early '60s traditional car with EFI whatever that is. However it can be a traditional looking car with any modern equipment hidden. If that is fine with you then go for it but don't call it a "traditional rod". I've been trying to make my roadster early '50s traditional ever since I got it on the road in '89 by replacing the Mustang engine with an early Cad. Corvair steering box with a Ross unit ect.

28. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

me thinks there's way to many labels to what we do. Get in the damn thing and drive it !!!!

29. Fenders

Fenders

I agree, but why call it anything... keep the hood closed (I hate to see hooded cars at shows with the hood open, looks stupid), drive it and enjoy.

If you have no hood, ignore the comments...

30. Then it wouldn't be "traditional"...

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.