Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm planning to build my own english wheel. Would these work for Lower anvils?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Jan 8, 2012.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've got the base all planned out. I think I may have the upper anvil all lined up, now I'm looking for a cheap lower anvil. I have been looking at bearings for possible lower anvils. While at Tractor Supply today I came across these 3 point hitch balls.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/lift-arm-ball-category-2-narrow-ford-0265309
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/lift-arm-ball-category-2-narrow-ford-0265309
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/top-link-ball-category-2-deere-amp-oliver-0267717
    Im thinking that I shouldn't have a hard time finding bearings to fit inside. Then just find a suitable axle to fit the bearing.

I don''t expect to perform miracles with these, but it may be a good entry level anvil. What do ya think?

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'm no expert, but I think you need one with less crown on it.

3. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

You dont want them way to much crown!

PM Me I have the upper and lowers from a old HF wheel I will sell cheap shipping will be a bitch but you will be better off

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

@ 1 1/2'' o.d. that's gonna be one small anvil:D It would probably work for a very small wheel used for small , very highly crowned panels. The contact area of an anvil with that much crown would probably leave alot of heavy tracking marks in a panel unless a very light pressure was used when wheeling out a panel.

Good luck and have fun with your wheel project!

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

5. You can get various radiused anvils at Harbour frieght[seperate] from their wheeling machine-I saw em last week....

6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I heard that Hoosier patterns no longer sells the wheels. Must be some stupid Internet rumor?

I realized this was a bad idea after I sat there and thought about it for a few. Dutch Comstock doesn't live that far from me, and he sells E-wheels. Rcranger knows him pretty well, I'll try and get ahold of him for the anvils.

7. fbama73

fbama73

If you can get a set of wheels from Joe (Hoosier pattern), you'll not be disappointed.

8. got my wheels from joe.....the great.....

Dutch is one of the best in the shaping world......:)

johnny

9. My set came from Oklahoma hardware and supply, I bought them on ebay when I built my machine, nice quality but around 600 dollars for one 9"by 3" and 3" anvil set with bearings
    at around 50 the HF should be a place for some to get started

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Hoosier Patterns doesn't make E-Wheel stuff anymore and Joe left the company. Here is Joe's contact info:

Joe Andrews
    www.hoosierprofiles.com
    1009 Southampton
    Decatur IN, 46733

Phone 260-301-9034
    Fax 260-724-2236