Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Getting closer Chad! Hey man, how is the T coming along btw??

Ha, I'm game, lets do it!! But, to by driving before Christmas we might need the Overhaulin' team. Hmm, or maybe Pimp my Ride:p:p

2. farmer12

farmer12

Great work Dan, this is one awesome car. Keep up the good work! Love the gold btw.

3. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well me & pops made some great progress in the past week or so. I took my intake to the machine shop to have them check it out. I wanted to be sure the the mounting surface that bolts to the heads was straight & flat.

I am glad I did, because the intake did need a tiny cut to make it perfectly flat. They did a great job, the mounting surface looks beautiful!

So with that done, we got the intake blasted, & epoxy primed & painted last weekend.

And, today we got the intake bolted up. With the mounting surface machined, it lined up so nice with everything, what a difference. We got the carbs back on.

Also got the pulleys on, the oil filter housing, oil fill tube & thermostat housing. It looks like a motor again, & boy I really like the way it looks in the gold.

So, here's some pics as it sits. Merry Christmas everybody, thanks for looking!

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

WOW...that looks sooo awesome all back together in gold against the body...I can't wait to see it all back together!

Nice job, Dan...and keep the updates coming!!!:cool:

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family also.

5. Lucky3

Lucky3

^^^^^^^What he said !

6. Dan........great thread and Car. Excellent build thread. Congrats on the award.

7. llonning

llonning

Glad that you are getting it farther along.

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Len

8. Wow!! That is going to look terrific against the firewall and body color. Great job.

Have a Merry Christmas Dan!

9. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Yo Dan ... looking good ... again.

Tell your Pops & brother (along with yourself & familiy) I said Meryy Christmas & Happy New Year.

Paul

10. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Keith, thanks a ton, I really appreciate that. Have a great Christmas bud

Thank you L3

Thanks man. Wow, those vids REALLY make me excite to drive it again, especially with the stronger motor

You & me both haha. Len, have a great Christmas

Thanks! I am really excited to see the car together, I really think it should look nice. Merry Christmas K

What's up Paul? Thanks man, as always I appreciate. I'll tell the family, hope you & your family have a Merry Christmas

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  11. Just when I thought your hot rod couldn't get any cooler you one upped it.
    Brian

12. mosimpson

mosimpson

Dan -
    Where exactly is the coil on the RPU? I don't see it anywhere on the firewall. Do you have any pic's that illustrate the mounted ignition coil?

Marc

13. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Brian, thanks man! It'll be WAY cooler when I can drive it again haha

Marc, if it will help I can get some pics of the coil mounted, I got it back on since we talked thru pm. Let me know if it'll help

14. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Me & pops busted butt all weekend, we are getting there! Still some to go, but list is getting smaller!. Just got off work, back to the shop to get back to it-here's a teaser:D

[​IMG]

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang nice Dan!!!!

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Man O man. Sure looks nice. Any chance you'll be bring it up to the Tampa area for any reason? Or do I have to drive ALL the way down there to see it. Congrats. Gary

17. Had a thought: Paint the wheels the same gold as the motor?

18. Just went through the whole thread. Truck turned out great!

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great Dan! Happy New Year!

20. striper

striper

Sssshhhhh!!!!!.....stop it! No more suggestions.

Oh, maybe one. Finish it and drive it.

Looks good, Dan.

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

About time you got this finished Dan, looks awesome, don't paint the wheels gold they look just fine & dandy as they are I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

23. Great work Don and Dan.

24. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Dan ... looking great ... again.

PAUL

25. Brandi

Brandi

And THAT is what dreams are made of.

26. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Chad, thank you my friend, as always I appreciate!

Gary, thanks man. I will definitely be @ Billetproof at Garlits in March. Are you gonna go? I'd love to check out your truck too, are you getting some good drive time?

Dave, thank you. I forgot what the thing looked like assembled haha

The thought did cross my mind Dr J. I'll drive it for a bit & see how I feel

Thank you TF, I owe you about 1 hour of your life back:p

Scott, what's up bud?? Thank man, Happy New Year back @ ya!
    This should be the year you get-r-dun man, lots of good times ahead

Pete, my thoughts exactly. I have had enough of working on it to hold me for a while, I am super excited to be able to drive soon. How's your car coming along? The quick change will look kick-@ss

You got that right Steve. By the time I'm done, you & Sue will be back to visit haha. You will get a ride next time, I promise:D

Jeff, thanks a ton man, I really appreciate. Feels great to see it come back together

Brian, I just caught up on your truck progress, really loving your truck

Thank you Paul, 2nd time's a charm??:eek:

Brandi, thank you. Funny you say that. I was sitting looking at the rpu last night, & I realized how much I love my damn car. No, it's definitely not perfect, but to me it means a ton, it is what I have always wanted. It really has me excited to get on the road & enjoy it

27. That thing looks soooo good. That gold motor is the business! Go man Go!

28. Wow looks great Dan. The new engine color is perfect. Really pops.

29. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, me & pops got a ton done! Got the steering reassembled, brakes bled. Dash back in, seats in, top on.

And, most importantly, got it fired up!! Thankfully all seems great, it really is running nice. Getting the rotating assembly balanced really did smooth it out too.

After running it for a while, we got the tranny filled, & I was able to take a short drive around the block late last night-it ran GREAT! The car pulls SO much stronger than before, and sound much crisper than the last engine. I am really super excited.

It was a late night, but worth it. I have a really busy week, so not a lot of time to finish up the loose ends til the weekend, but that's ok. I can sleep better now, can't wait to be able to drive it for real again.

Thanks for following, I will post up a YouTube this weekend hopefully with the thing driving:D

30. Skirv

Skirv

Great news Dan......and it looks even better than the first time around if that's possible.