Register now to get rid of these ads!

nason paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatmotor40, Jan 7, 2012.

1. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Has anybody ever used Nason paint

2. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

yep im not a pro but ive used it and it works good. i think it is a lower grade dupont paint

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Nason is the low end Dupont line. Never used their paint but we use a lot of their epoxy primer. Had very good luck with it for years and years. We spray Imron over it with good results.

Don

4. pro 39

pro 39
    from Michigan

Nason sprays well but is thinner(less coverage).If you are doing an overall paint job,I would use some similar color as an underbase.The clear is very nice to spray!Check out my '39 ,sprayed with Nason Base and Clear!

Attached Files:

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ive used it along time ago,It sprays nice ,Its thin and will require more coats ,But It was one of the first cars I painted and it came out great,Its easy to spray ,If its your first time stay away from mettallics.....

6. otas

otas

Used it on the inside of my 58 apache project. Outside I used ppg. Guy at the paint store explained to me that it was ok paint but Texas sun would destroy it in a few years where the ppg should last for 10 years or more.

7. BISHOP

BISHOP

8. 32Gnu

32Gnu

^^ junk? Bullshit..
    It's duponts shop line, I've painted 4 cars with it and would paint more..

It's probably not the best, but for the money it's good stuff.

My deuce and my ot Malibu were both shot with it.

Attached Files:

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I use it all the time, never any problems. Seems to hold up fine in the Arizona sun.

10. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

my 41 truck is painted with it. Had a problem with it, some of the pigment did not mix well and had to repaint-would not use it again on a project car, but would on an old beater, trailer or just some clunker

11. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Some people don't know their ass from chess piece. Nason works great. I'm not a pro, and I get great results. Even metallic bc/cc.

12. had good luck with it, the clear was used on the 67,and also on the roof of the 54

13. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

i use at least a gallon a week you cant butt match it to most original colors. but its very blendable.
    on the 67 ford f100 im restoring for a guy now, i used a shopline base and the nason high glamor, i think its called. looks great

14. I have used it in the past , it has a short life span. It will fades quickly in hard sunlight IE southern hot weather states Its mostly used to puff up a car thats going to the auction....but otherwise looks good for a while

15. outlaw256

outlaw256

we use it here at the shop and have for awhile. dont seem no thinner than any other paints and seems to cover about the same as others also.it is duponts bottom line but we aint paintin 100.000 dollar cars either.we have used it for flames and graphics with good results also. like it alot better than any matin senour paints.

16. dexleo2

dexleo2

I have used the Nason product line on every car I have painted within the last 5 years. Never had a problem with it, and I have cranked out some really good paint jobs with it. Good stuff will use it on my Model A when I get to that point. As stated above is a product line of Dupont, good stuff thou.

17. gas pumper

gas pumper

I have Nason on the T<<<<<. It's on there 4 years? maybe 5.

I'm not a pro either, but I've been painting my stuff for 40 years. And have used all the DuPont products over the years. My paint store guy, who I buy all my stuff from, suggested using this as a red in Centari would have been twice the money.

I'm very happy with the result. 3 coats over the gray primer. good coverage. Good gloss. No color sanding. (cause that wasn't traditional on enamel jobs;))

As another endorsement for Nason, I know a painter that works in a dealership body shop and that shop is a PPG shop. All he does is paint, no body work at work. On his own cars, and he's got some nice OT stuff, he uses Nason enamel single stage. He's a perfectionist, and it's good enough for him.

Frank

18. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Can someone tell what the difference is between expensive paint and the less expensive paints? Is it only thickness? Is it UV sensitivity? Is it hardness? Flexibility? Why is DuPont and PPG more expensive than Kirker? I don't know, what is the real difference besides price?

19. 32Gnu

32Gnu

To clarify my earlier post, I am happy with Nason, I am poor :) and have to do everything myself, and am happy with the results, if I was building for someone else I would entertain using something else.. But for me it's good.. I'm not apt to worry about getting some gatina sooner than later..

20. All the paint on my 51' including the flames were done in Nason, I didn't have any issues with it and was painted about 10 years ago looks as good as the day I sprayed it!

Attached Files:

21. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Ive sprayed it several times. Good cheap paint. Buffs out real nice as well.

22. The comments can go on for hours over the differences in automotive paints. In a nutshell all brands have a low , middle and high end . Your on the right track the less expensive may not have as good of coverage or UV protection as the high end stuff. Some products are even industrial coatings, which are designed for specific applications both interior and exterior, high and low temperature situations being used in automotive applications. Best bet is not to intermix products as most paints today are designed to crosslink and the catalysts are mixed into both components. Company A puts catalyst 1 in the hardner and catalyst 2 in the color, Company B puts catalyst 2 in the hardner and catalyst 1 in the color as an example. You can see how results can become compromised by intermixing brands. Yes many will say they have intermixed brands in the past and have not had issues . The end results can vary and not become evident for some time . The greatest influential factor to paint coating longevity is exposure to the elements. The greatest reason for repainting is failure to properly repair and prepare the metal surfaces for refinishing.
    It gets down to following proper procedure to get the best results. .

23. hmuchler

hmuchler

After reading this link. I will use it. I got stuff to paint.

24. desotot

desotot

I am happy with it, my red merc and flames are nason.
    [​IMG]

25. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

I have used the clear for years , NEVER an issue sands and buffs great,and yes the base coat is a little thin . i use dupont croma base for my color and the better nason clear . I painted around a hundred cars and bikes with NO issues. I have sprayed others like spies,house of color, croma clear ,ppg, and i gotta say for the price you cant beat it

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you use it without the hardner it will take forever to dry.

27. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

One of the custom paint people has used nason pigment for years..........hummm

28. HELLMET

HELLMET

i sell and use nason. its good paint.

29. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

working in a professional body shop that does both custom and normal collision, we use nason single stage all the time with good results and nason clear over dupont waterborne all the time as well.......never any problems with them, now the dupont waterborne is another thing all together........

30. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

my cars is black and the paint is 12 years old never been in a garage socal still looks great